Prayers for David Welch

I am proud to call David a friend. I am even more proud of the man he is. I marched with him in HS and he followed me, a year after I aged out, to the same corps. We are lucky to have him as an alumni and a perfect example of what a Cadet is and should always be...a class act who treats others well.

Many prayers have come from my family to yours!!

Keep on fighting the fight...you have made a difference in others lives far greater than you can imagine!

Scott Litzenberg

Garfield Cadets Member 82-83

Crossmen Staff 85-89, 06

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing but positive thoughts for you Primo! You inspire all of us by fighting the fight that no one should ever have to. But you do so with class and graciousness and never a hint of bitterness. Would that I could do the same if faced with what you have to deal with.

Shorty

Primo's the best. He sat in front of me on the bus for two years and sometimes he'd give out crackers to everyone on long trips. And that was Dave. Always prepared, always giving and helping. I should only hope that I handle any crisis in my life with the same dignity, perseverance, and honesty as he has with his present situation. Wherever this road takes him, I'm proud to call him a friend. Godspeed Dave.

FHNSAB

A report from Doug Rutherford, a lifelong friend of David Welch

On Saturday, a group of about 25 members and alumni of the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps came to visit David. It was a special gathering that started at 1 PM and lasted for almost 2 hours. David got tired and went to bed at 2:30. The highlight of the afternoon, besides all of the hugging, spirited conversation, story telling, and general catching up, was singing the Cadets corps song, "Oh Holy Name." When members and alumni get together, it is a tradition to sing the corps song, and many Cadets not in attendance are known to sing along at the designated time. Thanks to high-speed Internet, about 6 Cadet alumnae joined the festivities over the Internet from Japan. David got to see them and talk to them on iChat thanks to Christen Juel.

Cadets from across the US actually traveled to VA to visit David. The group included people ranging from 20 to 45 years old. David's friends traveled from as far as Chicago, Massachusetts, and Atlanta to participate in this 2 hours affair - Unbelievable! The brainchild behind this gathering was Joey Glaeser, a current member of the Cadets who drove all the way from Atlanta. The bonds we form in this remarkable activity of drum corps are truly special.

One of the many pleasures of the afternoon was watching David's parents and brother get to experience the impact David has on so many people. It was a great gift for them to be able to see and experience the special bond of David's friends and the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps. Once again, I walked away with strong and conflicting emotions of happiness and sadness. I am thrilled I had the pleasure of participating in this glorious day. Thank you Joey. Thank you David.

For Holy Name shall always be…

• 1 month later...

From David's blog: www.38Lemon.com

4 December 2008

Thursday, 1:15 PM

This entry is being made by Mike again.

I have an update on David and some observations of a couple of recent events from David's friends.

David is still staying at Mom's and is comfortable and happy other than headaches, which seem to be getting worse. When I saw him this past Sunday, he was not able to communicate like he was the previous Sunday. He still obviously knows what is going on, but can't get the words together. I brought over his DVD player and some Cadets DVD's from his house this Sunday and he has been enjoying watching them.

The following are Charlie Peterson's observations from QBR's visit with David.

On November 20th, 6 present & former members of the Quintessential Brass Repertoire got together to play an informal living room concert for Dave and his parents (and each other). We had a great time playing old favorites and reminiscing about past gigs. A highlight of the evening was the performance of a new selection specially commissioned for the occasion. It was a medley of 4 Carpenters classics: "Close To You", "We've Only Just Begun", "Rainy Days and Mondays", and "On Top of the World". Dave was quite a Carpenters fan back in the day and certainly enjoyed this new piece for the QBR library. It's nice to have old friends playing old music and talking about good old times.

Dave founded the QBR 20 years ago and the group is still going strong! We appreciate all his efforts & contributions to the group over the years -- everything from designing our logo to organizing rehearsals to soliciting gigs to his solid French horn playing. More info & pics at www.quintessentialbrass.com.

Doug Rutherford also has provided a typical day in David's life right now based upon his observations from a visit with David and additional input from my Mom. It is as follows.

I have been with David throughout different times during the recent days and after speaking with his mother, I put together a composite sample day just before Thanksgiving. It goes something like this…

8:30 AM Wakeup. David gives himself a shower and dresses himself. He looks pretty much the same as he has for the past months. His dad helps him shave and he is on his way. He has breakfast and can eat extremely large quantities. We call his never ending hunger the “Decadron Munchies.” He takes his time eating (as he always has) and participates in conversation with non-verbal signs.

10:30 AM Nap. I think anyone would take a nap sitting or laying down on one of the couches in his mom’s living room with a fire on and some Neil Young playing in the background.

11:30 AM Visitor arrives. I show up and his dad gently wakes him from his sleep. He gets up slowly for a big hug. David and I spend an hour looking through a photo album I made when we were both 20 years old of our days in the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps. David reads the hand written captions and gives a solid thumbs up to a picture confirming that Michelle Ledoux is very cute and Michael Collette is very funny. Some people are immediately identified in the photos and he struggles to recall names of others but he knows that they are old friends. After reviewing the photo album, we move to the den and sit on the couches there. Music is playing and David combines chair dancing, conducting, and drumming on his chest to put on a full performance. When I ask him what song is playing, he informs me correctly that it is “I believe...it’s….it’s…Number 15”, he does not know the title but recalls the track number.

I ask him if he is interested in posting anything on 38Lemon and he shakes his head “No” and shrugs his shoulders indicating he does not care. I tell him friends want to know how he is doing and I will be sure to post an update, to which he nods “yes”.

1:00 PM Lunch. Once again, any food that David can reach is in danger of being consumed. He eats a grilled cheese sandwich with ham and tomato, a couple of bowls of lentil soup and then moves on to the bowl of M&Ms on the counter. The most amazing thing is that David has not eaten much meat or chocolate in years.

2:00 PM Nap. This time it is down for the big nap. He clearly states to me, “I will let you go,” and, “I’m gonna take a nap.”

6:00 PM Up again and time to watch the Redskins game. When he is asked about who was playing, David replies correctly, “Redskins and Seahawks.” David concludes the evening with dinner and a mellow evening sitting on the couch talking with his parents, listening to music, and falling in and out of sleep.

11:00 PM Lights out for the night.

Thanks Charlie and Doug!

Edited by Colee

17 December 2008

Wednesday, 11:45PM

This is another entry by David's big brother Mike.

Since my last post, I have seen David on Saturday, Sunday and earlier tonight.

On Saturday, I was able to feed him breakfast and he ate very well. On Sunday, I started feeding him and when our sister Missi arrived, she took over. It is very difficult seeing David decline, but at the same time, very nice to be able to do something for him. It is not possible to communicate with David anymore, and even though I know he understands what we are saying due to his occasional nod, wink or just the meeting of eyes, it feels good to show our love for him through something as simple as helping him enjoy a good meal.

This is a very difficult time for our entire family and especially not knowing what to expect. My mother found a website that is very informational and has helped with knowing what to expect.

http://www.brainhospice.com/

I know that David would want us to share this information and the details of his condition and even though it is very emotional and upsetting, I will share them to honor him and out of respect for all of the work he put into this cause and his battle with this horrible disease. While I am not comfortable sharing all of the details of David's symptoms, some of the symptoms in the Symptom Time Line from 1-2 Weeks Prior to Death are evident. In David's case, his communication has deteriorated well ahead of the other symptoms.

David does not walk at all now. We use a wheelchair to move him about the house. He is able to help support his weight when changing his clothes, but it is quite exhausting. He is not speaking at all, but on Sunday, I did get a couple of head nods in acknowledgement to questions. Also on Sunday, he was still visibly enjoying the audio of the Garfield Cadets DVD we had playing for him.

My wife Sabine tells me that he kissed back when she gave him kisses on Sunday and tonight. (Not surprising to anyone who knows David!) I did not see him open his eyes tonight at all, but we were only there for a little over an hour.

Monday was a struggle for David and my parents and doctors have been adjusting the Decadron level which made a big improvement. Headaches have become more of a problem, but every effort is being made to ensure his comfort.

I truly wish I had different news. Please keep David and my parents in your prayers.

Edited by Colee

22 December 2008

Monday, 7:30AM

Another update from Mike.

I was able to get to see David again Friday and yesterday.

I arrived Friday around 1:30PM. David was in his favorite recliner and sleeping very soundly. I was there for a little over 5 hours and he slept the entire time. David is sleeping more and more. He has about 2 hours or a little less mid morning when he has his eyes open and seems to "be there", but he is starting to not have that same time in the evenings that he used to. His appetite is decreasing, but it was fierce up until recently and he is still eating.

Yesterday morning, Sabine and I arrived around 10:30 and his nurse was still getting him cleaned up. My older son Brian is stationed in Okinawa, Japan in the Air Force and hasn't seen David since last Christmas. I was able to get him to purchase a webcam and while David was getting ready we set up a Skype video call. When David came out we had it all set up and Brian was able to talk to David. Brian loves playing guitar and he played his electric guitar for David for about a half hour. He did a pretty good Trans-Siberian Orchestra as well as some Van Halen and Led Zeppelin and just some general playing. David had his eyes open and was focused on the laptop screen in his lap for quite a while. He seemed to be fading at one point, but then became more alert and at one point looked over at Dad and there was a definite nodding of his head like "This is cool!" I just talked to him about how much Brian loved him and isn't it cool that Brian has the love of music that David has. After 30 minutes or so, David obviously was getting tired and seemed to be getting a headache, so we had Brian say goodbye and got David some pain medication.

I took some pictures that I am posting at http://mikewelch64.spaces.live.com/

Please keep David and my parents in your prayers.

I have been following the blog/site for a couple of years now and it was great and I'm sure helpful to some many people.

My mother passed away (home hospice) of cancer and all I can say is to stay strong and even though you know its coming it still hurts like no other pain! But please know you are all doing the right thing! Being with him and facing it right along with him! Not afraid to be with him. Trust me, I don't know David but I'm sure he doesn't want to be alone and he will miss you (family) just as much as you all will miss you!

Another young energetic man cut down way to young!

Again I am deeply sorry! I will say a pray for David, his family, his fellow corps members, his friends. and for everyone out there who is hurting during the holidays. My mother passed on Thanksgiving Morning 4 years ago so this is a tough time I'm sure for the family! I didn't get a last Christmas but I did get a last birthday! Enjoy the time you have and hug and kiss him!

JP

22 December 2008

Monday, 7:30AM

Another update from Mike.

I was able to get to see David again Friday and yesterday.

I arrived Friday around 1:30PM. David was in his favorite recliner and sleeping very soundly. I was there for a little over 5 hours and he slept the entire time. David is sleeping more and more. He has about 2 hours or a little less mid morning when he has his eyes open and seems to "be there", but he is starting to not have that same time in the evenings that he used to. His appetite is decreasing, but it was fierce up until recently and he is still eating.

Yesterday morning, Sabine and I arrived around 10:30 and his nurse was still getting him cleaned up. My older son Brian is stationed in Okinawa, Japan in the Air Force and hasn't seen David since last Christmas. I was able to get him to purchase a webcam and while David was getting ready we set up a Skype video call. When David came out we had it all set up and Brian was able to talk to David. Brian loves playing guitar and he played his electric guitar for David for about a half hour. He did a pretty good Trans-Siberian Orchestra as well as some Van Halen and Led Zeppelin and just some general playing. David had his eyes open and was focused on the laptop screen in his lap for quite a while. He seemed to be fading at one point, but then became more alert and at one point looked over at Dad and there was a definite nodding of his head like "This is cool!" I just talked to him about how much Brian loved him and isn't it cool that Brian has the love of music that David has. After 30 minutes or so, David obviously was getting tired and seemed to be getting a headache, so we had Brian say goodbye and got David some pain medication.

I took some pictures that I am posting at http://mikewelch64.spaces.live.com/

Please keep David and my parents in your prayers.

My best thoughts and wishes are with David, his entire family and his entire drum corps family this holiday season.