Spartans announce 2008 Show

From http://www.spartansdbc.org/

"Spartans' 2008 show is…"METALLIC SOUNDSCAPES"

Musical metallurgy are two words that most aptly describe the Spartans' 2008 production:

'Metallic Soundscapes.'

Through sight and sound, we will explore the various ways in which metals can be manipulated. From the clanging of iron and light ringing of bells, to the bending of sheet metal and resonant sounds of blaring brass, this year's production will be a new and exciting direction in both concept and sound for the Spartans!

Our production will be based exclusively on the music of John Mackey. We will open with the light and bright sounds of Kingfishers Catch Fire II, moving on to the eerie sounds of Turning, and closing with the powerful sounds of Turbine.

Don't miss this exciting 2008 Spartans Presentation!"

I am not very familiar with this composer, except for "Redline Tango" which both Blue Devils and Cascades played in '05, so I looked up John Mackey's myspace page. Some impressive credentials here. Hmmm ... wind ensemble music. After listening to two of these pieces, I am excited. This is great stuff. Looks to be a new step up musically for Spartans. I would just love to hear this played by a big, beautiful brassline. Drill could be some great stuff, too.

I am really looking forward to seeing Spartans re-invent themselves this summer ...

and I am making my plans to be there in New London for the June 28th show.

The line-up is looking very interesting:

7th Regiment - New London, CT

Citations - Burlington, MA

Jersey Surf - Camden County, NJ

The Muchachos - Manchester, NH

Raiders - Wayne, NJ

Spartans - Nashua, NH

Targets - Springfield, MA

Best Wishes to Spartans and to all the corps who will be there! :shutup:

Opener - Kingfishers Catch Fire II

Ballardish Piece - Turning You got to listen through the beginning

Closer - Turbine

Sounds pretty cool to me. Sounds Spartanesque... and new. Can't wait to see what they do with it.

The Muchachos are nor performing at the New London Show as indicated in the lineup below. We will be in Brockton on the 29th , Nashua on July 3rd and our show on July 13th.

From http://www.spartansdbc.org/

"Spartans' 2008 show is…"METALLIC SOUNDSCAPES"

Musical metallurgy are two words that most aptly describe the Spartans' 2008 production:

'Metallic Soundscapes.'

Through sight and sound, we will explore the various ways in which metals can be manipulated. From the clanging of iron and light ringing of bells, to the bending of sheet metal and resonant sounds of blaring brass, this year's production will be a new and exciting direction in both concept and sound for the Spartans!

Our production will be based exclusively on the music of John Mackey. We will open with the light and bright sounds of Kingfishers Catch Fire II, moving on to the eerie sounds of Turning, and closing with the powerful sounds of Turbine.

Don't miss this exciting 2008 Spartans Presentation!"

I am not very familiar with this composer, except for "Redline Tango" which both Blue Devils and Cascades played in '05, so I looked up John Mackey's myspace page. Some impressive credentials here. Hmmm ... wind ensemble music. After listening to two of these pieces, I am excited. This is great stuff. Looks to be a new step up musically for Spartans. I would just love to hear this played by a big, beautiful brassline. Drill could be some great stuff, too.

I am really looking forward to seeing Spartans re-invent themselves this summer ...

and I am making my plans to be there in New London for the June 28th show.

The line-up is looking very interesting:

7th Regiment - New London, CT

Citations - Burlington, MA

Jersey Surf - Camden County, NJ

The Muchachos - Manchester, NH

Raiders - Wayne, NJ

Spartans - Nashua, NH

Targets - Springfield, MA

Best Wishes to Spartans and to all the corps who will be there! :thumbup:

The Muchachos are nor performing at the New London Show as indicated in the lineup below. We will be in Brockton on the 29th , Nashua on July 3rd and our show on July 13th.

Aw, shucks. I copied this list from DCI's info, which I know can change. Not sure if I will catch you in Brockton as "Saturday Night Lights" (also from DCI's schedule) is actually on a Sunday, which is not a good night for me. All will depend on the time of the show. I do plan to be in Nashua and Manchester, though, so I will see you then. :thumbup:

Mackey is one of the top composers writing for wind band right now. His stuff is well written, great to listen to, and man does he give his percussion sections something to do. Good luck Spartans!

After listening to some of his music, I have to agree on all counts. I am a brass guy so wind is what I always hear first. Here I can pick out the voices. All brass sections should have some very juicy parts. Mellos ... wow. (Think they would let me play a mello? I could dye my hair... what's left of it.) Playing it again a couple of times, I can see that the front and percussion are going to have some great work, too. Some interesting special effects in the pit. Marimbas ... again, wow. (No chance they would let me at one of these.) The arrangers certainly have some wonderful stuff for adapting to drum corps.

Looking forward to seeing this on the field! :thumbup: Good luck, Spartans!

Opener - Kingfishers Catch Fire II

Ballardish Piece - Turning You got to listen through the beginning

Closer - Turbine

Sounds pretty cool to me. Sounds Spartanesque... and new. Can't wait to see what they do with it.

Thanks for posting these files, particularly the middle one, which I had not found, yet

"Sounds Spartanesque ... and new." ... I like it!

Turbine is an awesome piece of music. John Mackey rehearsed it with us at the University of Tennessee. He's an exciting guy. There's a recording on his website of Florida State playing it. It's an amazing recording...I'm really looking forward to the Spartans' treatment of it.

Wow - While I was familiar with work by John Mackey, I just searched on his name for MP3 and found he had allowed full versions of all of these on his publisher site. I listened to each of the compositions in order, and I must say they are STUNNING. Spartans could really do a lot with these.......... while all 3 provide countless sonic opportunities for percussion and brass, it is especially exciting to imagine the percussion in Kingfisher and the brass in Turning. In all cases, I suggest to anyone that listens to all 3 originals to be patient, the developmental curve of each is gradual, but amazing. I am sure that Spartans arranging staff will compress some of the development in respect to time alloted. Good stuff.