What Drum Corps means to me...

On a diesel smelling bus in Somewhere, America (in the middle of the night) I asked myself, "What sane person would pay to get their butt kicked all summer?" I had wanted to join a corps for about two years, I read about it, I researched it, and finally I was getting my just "rewards". Needless to say, I drearily got off the bus at Pioneer's new housing site at some witching hour (this would happen many, many more times thoughout the summer,) pulled my sleeping bag from under the bus and got my tail inside to get the much loved sleep.

We woke up at 7a.m. that same morning. I pulled myself out of bed and prepared for the day. Later on that day, in the hot sun the instruments gleamed and the feel of marching got under my skin and made the sun less hot and the lack of sleep unnoticeable. I love marching. Running back to do a set over again, basics, shows, parades, you name it I love it. Oh sure there were days where I didn't want to march because I was "too tired", or I figuaratively got my "butt kicked" during practice. Don't get me wrong, I love playing my baritone, it's kind of like an addiction. I can't stand not to play my horn for more than a few days; the feel of the horn while I play...I love it. But I think marching is my main love. There was, still is, a reason why I'm supposed to do corps.

I believe it was God's will to have me march last summer...and I believe it is in His will to have me march again. I believe corps has taught me many different things, including hard work, work ethic, and leadership. Right now, my current position in corps (baritone section leader) is perfect to help others. I'm self-less, and here to help people...that's also something I learned this summer. Please help me march again. What corps means to me is making long-life friends, learning to coexsist in a group (no matter how diverse the group...Pioneer had international marchers from South Africa, Holland, Japan, and Canada), working together towards a common goal, and learning the value of hard work.

My email is the_marching_queen@yahoo.com. Email me your address and I will send you a tax deductable S.O.P.Y (Sponsors Of Pioneer Youth) by mail. Any donations will be greatly appreciated.

[i'm kinda new to this forum thing!]

Excuse me for not introducing myself first...I'm Lauren Hudson and I live out in the middle of nowhere, in the "thumb" of Michigan. I wrote this topic for entertainment...although I do need some sponsorship...any little bit would help, but this topic is sorta to introduce myself and "entertain." I march baritone in Pioneer, I am a 2nd year, and I have job that barely pays for my car. Someone informed me that asking for sponsorships on the forums here would be helpful. I can always find other ways to rise money to pay for corps, but the drum corps community would probably understand the need for money more than a small town business. Thank you for reading, or donating, or both! :spitting:

On a diesel smelling bus in Somewhere, America (in the middle of the night) I asked myself, "What sane person would pay to get their butt kicked all summer?" I had wanted to join a corps for about two years, I read about it, I researched it, and finally I was getting my just "rewards".

[i'm kinda new to this forum thing!]

More "proof" that all Bari players are nuts. :spitting: Unless you're also a trombone player learning fingerings, then you're really off the chart. :laughing: Seriously, sounds like you're having good experiences being with Pioneer.

Welcome to DCP and hope you enjoy playing that 3 valved beastie..... :laughing:

More "proof" that all Bari players are nuts. :spitting: Unless you're also a trombone player learning fingerings, then you're really off the chart. :ph34r: Seriously, sounds like you're having good experiences being with Pioneer.

Welcome to DCP and hope you enjoy playing that 3 valved beastie..... :laughing:

Actually...I am a trombone player :laughing: ...I switched to bari a year or so ago...for corps of course!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Crazy marcher----Great writing! I really enjoyed reading what you had to say and it sure brought back a lot of memories sleeping on cold gym floors and under bus seats. I hope you continue to enjoy your Drum Corps years. I really didn't know a whole lot about Drum Corps until I was 19 and only had the chance to march one year. I was asked by Star to march lead Soprano my age out year (1989), but unfortunately, I couldn't afford to leave college and work life to join for another year. Of course, I have regreted it every since, because Stars show in 1989, British Invasion, was awesome.

Have fun and enjoy every minute that you can...and make sure you take plenty of pictures, because when you are 38 as I am you'll wish you had more of them to look back on.

Take care,

Matthew

Actually...I am a trombone player :thumbup: ...I switched to bari a year or so ago...for corps of course!

I wouldn't have admitted to being a trombone lol. Welcome to DCP.

oh and btw, you've basically summed up what every marcher feels.

Hey Crazy marcher----Great writing! I really enjoyed reading what you had to say and it sure brought back a lot of memories sleeping on cold gym floors and under bus seats. I hope you continue to enjoy your Drum Corps years. I really didn't know a whole lot about Drum Corps until I was 19 and only had the chance to march one year. I was asked by Star to march lead Soprano my age out year (1989), but unfortunately, I couldn't afford to leave college and work life to join for another year. Of course, I have regreted it every since, because Stars show in 1989, British Invasion, was awesome.

Have fun and enjoy every minute that you can...and make sure you take plenty of pictures, because when you are 38 as I am you'll wish you had more of them to look back on.

Take care,

Matthew

That is actually one of my favorite shows! (along with SCV The Phantom of the Opera...same year!) And thank you. OCcontra, im glad im able to put hard to descibe emotions on paper AND be a trombone player at the same time! (sarcasm) (but, I do like baritone better.)

I wouldn't have admitted to being a trombone lol. Welcome to DCP.

Crap, realize I never explained that trombone player crack.

*raising hand* Also a trombone player who had it a little easier when I joined corps.

Easier 'cuz I didn't have that 3rd valve to worry about (only piston/rotor) :tongue:

Crap, realize I never explained that trombone player crack.

*raising hand* Also a trombone player who had it a little easier when I joined corps.

Easier 'cuz I didn't have that 3rd valve to worry about (only piston/rotor) :lol:

Wouldn't it be harder? I recieved one of those as my xmas gift ($50 from ebay!) I love its sound, but its hard to play...harder i mean. (but in all seriousness, whose to say what "hard" is? lol)

Wouldn't it be harder? I recieved one of those as my xmas gift ($50 from ebay!) I love its sound, but its hard to play...harder i mean. (but in all seriousness, whose to say what "hard" is? lol)

Well I was just thinking its was easier learning fingerings on a piston/rotor as there wasn't a third valve. Because there was no Ab this also kept the key signature simplier so less accidental fingerings to worry about. Not sure if I saw more than 2 flats in a key signature during my time.

Haven't played one since 1980 (OUCH) but certainly would be a weird feeling trying to hold one and play it after getting used to a valved horn. Funny thing is our Bari line was evenly split on how to play the rotor. Some used the first finger and some held the horn slightly different with the left hand and used the thumb. We had Olds which must have been easier to play than some other brands. Some I've seen on eBay look like real big beasts based on the photos.

Yeah, piston/rotors are a different breed of horn.... :nervous: