How do you get that good corps snare sound?

Hi Rick:

The shell would still have a range that is most resonant. I'd go with that.

Regards,

John Swartz

Thanks John.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question - we used 14" drums, but what size are the lines' snares nowadays? Anyone know? Size ought to make a difference.

If anyone has seen Phantom's lines from the early 80s, they had a strip cutaway from their snares' shells, and boy were they loud. These drums were not "free floating" so the lugs were what held it together, I guess.

Would such a thing be possible with today's snares? I'd love to hear that LOUD snare sound again.

I was with the Crossmen when we switched from mylar to Kevlar in mid-season 1989. The way we had been playing for the first 7 months needed to be completely adjusted, not only due to the hardness of the playing surface, but because the snare parts would stick out in the wrong places and be lost in others. We ended up putting a 3 inch strip of moleskin on the edge of the head so that we could hit the surface hard enough to get a snare sound, but not so loud as to over play the ensemble. It was a very difficult transition in mid-stream, and made for two very distinct snare sounds from the beginning of the season (mylar), as compared to the end (Kevlar).

Dave - just curious, but, did that change affect your scores?

Rick - I don't remember any significant fluctuations, as we were making the switch to Kevlar in late June and our line was continually improving while on tour. I do seem to remember that with one of the first few shows we played on the Kevlar, we ended up winning Perc Field Execution over SCV. Could be a coincidence, as we were always pretty close to the pack with field execution.

If anyone has seen Phantom's lines from the early 80s, they had a strip cutaway from their snares' shells, and boy were they loud. These drums were not "free floating" so the lugs were what held it together, I guess.

Would such a thing be possible with today's snares? I'd love to hear that LOUD snare sound again.[

those drums were called slotted snare drums, Phantom actually used free floaters with the slots in them in 91, nobody has used them since, although something that is gaining popularity is adding port holes to the drums, especially with spock drums, some of the early 80 snare lines used to use 2 inch holes around the middle of the snare drum to help with projection. it would be nice to see the slotted drums make a come back,

some new stuff coming on the market is the top snares, and the prototypes that SCV used with the experimental venting system, the drums had slots cut in the stress ring on top and on the bottom of the shell, and a lever controled the opening and closing, the thought being to restrict the air flow in softer passages and to max it on the louder ones, although i heard the drums didn't function as planed but i guess Pearl had enough of success to keep the trying.

A lot of the SCV Pearl snares drums are without shells but everything is still connected. They look like robo snares. All metal, no wood with the heads and snare guts still on. I've heard they sound pretty cool like that.

Mom

Interesting!