Your 1st & last time in uniform...

First- May 1959 Parade in Brooklyn, NY with the Loyal Order of Oddfellows Drum & Bugle Corps

Last- September 2007 DCA Alumni Spectacular with the NY Skyliners Alumni

now THAT is a great corps name...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time, Evaluation show, early June (?) 1982, somewhere in NorCal (San Jose maybe?), Freelancers.

Last time, Georgia Tech Stadium, Finals 1984. Same uniform all three years. Didn't leave my shoes on the field though, we wore spats that year, and I couldn't easily slip them off during retreat.

First time 1985 Indy 500 Parade

Last time 1992 DCI Finals in Madison Wisconsin

Off-topic, I know, but how is Sonnor doing? They've long been one of my favorites (my husband's, too), yet we missed seeing you at WGI finals last April.

So cool that you were able to go back and march with your guard! :tongue:

Hi Sue,

we didn't make finals last year - I think we ended up 18th or 19th. It's getting harder every year as the Quebec drum corps and winterguard scene is pretty much dead.

Sonnor will be going down to open class this year and I hope will be able to be competitive.

Later,

Mike

Not much variation coming from me.

First show would be the first show for Blue Devils in the '74 season, and I have no idea where that was.

Last show would be the '77 DCI finals in Denver.

Highlights for me would be:

'74 - Making DCI finals for the first time in Ithaca.

'75 - First show of the season in San Bruno CA. We beat SCV for the first time ever, and they were the defending DCI champions. We also beat their drum line when they had 50 to 60 something continuous percussion victories. Memorable evening.

'76 - First DCI victory (all captions?) and being part of the tuxedo jacket era

'77 - Repeat victory, although I never cared for the Rocky stuff. Still don't. Oh, well. One can't change history.

I was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time. I was just a very small part of the total effort, and the memories are priceless.

Not much variation coming from me.

First show would be the first show for Blue Devils in the '74 season, and I have no idea where that was.

Last show would be the '77 DCI finals in Denver.

Highlights for me would be:

'74 - Making DCI finals for the first time in Ithaca.

'75 - First show of the season in San Bruno CA. We beat SCV for the first time ever, and they were the defending DCI champions. We also beat their drum line when they had 50 to 60 something continuous percussion victories. Memorable evening.

'76 - First DCI victory (all captions?) and being part of the tuxedo jacket era

'77 - Repeat victory, although I never cared for the Rocky stuff. Still don't. Oh, well. One can't change history.

I was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time. I was just a very small part of the total effort, and the memories are priceless.

Hey Trooper,

I was at Ithaca in 1974 with Purple Lancers. Your corps was a big surprise to us. We were all familiar with Anaheim and Santa Clara, but who were these Blue Devils? Nice job! If you want to trade stories about '74 IM me.

OMG - Ok. 44 years ago this month I donned a cast off re-tailored St. Catherine Queensmen uniform as a french horn player in the Queenaires "class B" parade corps. Cream Cadet Style Jacket with Red and Black Trim. Black trousers (my first encounter with "braces" - I remember Norman Johnson our horn instructor and director saying: "Braces, these are braces, not suspenders!") with red and cream stripes. White bucks with black soles.

I next wore the Powder Blue of the St. Joseph Patron Cadets - that was 1967.

1972 was my age out year. Danny Thomas Invitational, or World Open - I think we took second to the 27th Lancers in my St. Rita's Brassmen uniform.

Yikes what a memory of how bad the Queenaires were.

Puppet

First: 84 Evaluation show in NorCal with BD

Last: more accurately, most recent...07 Stanford with the BD/SCV alums (only because the specified clothing was black pants and a black alum shirt)

in reality...no last time, since I'll be in the field with En Garde in 08!