Is the SCV Tilt Back?

This just looks plain sloppy...and very bando. Nothing can top a wall of perfectly flat snare drums.

It's funny that you say very bando because this is one of just many examples where bands are copying corps. SCV started the tilt and since then it seems that every high school drumline does it to look cool, in fact at one competition we actually had Murray as a judge and he commented, "hey snares your drums are tilted incase you didn't noticed". Other examples is how most drumlines tend to play warmup songs rather than just basic rudiments, while it's cool to play a groovin chart a lot of the students aren't learning the basic ideas of them.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..........Other examples is how most drumlines tend to play warmup songs rather than just basic rudiments, while it's cool to play a groovin chart a lot of the students aren't learning the basic ideas of them.

I've noticed that a lot in my area, it seems that every drumline works their tails off to learn double beat and ditty but couldn't play a decent 8 on hand to save their lives. Frankly, it's a little disheartening and then the kids will come up to me and tell me how they're going to all make center snare for this corps or that corps. I'm just a brass guy though...

This just looks plain sloppy...and very bando. Nothing can top a wall of perfectly flat snare drums.

While I certainly understand the reasoning behind the tilt, I also prefer the look of a flat snareline. Funny - though, when SCV went to matched grip in 2005 (which makes perfect sense with flat snares) I didn't like that look either. :tongue:

While I certainly understand the reasoning behind the tilt, I also prefer the look of a flat snareline. Funny - though, when SCV went to matched grip in 2005 (which makes perfect sense with flat snares) I didn't like that look either. :tongue:

Well, having the drum hanging down to their shins didn't help.

Well, having the drum hanging down to their shins didn't help.

LOL! I agree! It just looked funny. I wondered if the snares had to wear knee pads. Great snareline that year, just a little strange looking. I saw them in Houston and couldn't believe they were playing matched again (they did that in the late 70's for at least one season I think). They were awesome that night, but they couldn't hang with my Madison Scouts! (that was the first DCI contest I had been to in over 15 years - I couldn't believe Madison won the show)....

LOL! I agree! It just looked funny. I wondered if the snares had to wear knee pads. Great snareline that year, just a little strange looking. I saw them in Houston and couldn't believe they were playing matched again (they did that in the late 70's for at least one season I think). They were awesome that night, but they couldn't hang with my Madison Scouts! (that was the first DCI contest I had been to in over 15 years - I couldn't believe Madison won the show)....

To my knowledge they did it sometime in the 80s as well. I thought it was a great idea to take the line to match grip but I guess the judges didn't agree.

back in the day of slings and pre-legrests we wore a leg pad on our left thigh.

i <3 the tilt

Here we go again. We had a long and spirited discussion about THE CASELLA TILT on the percussion forum last year. I called it a gimmick. Bottom line: No DCI drumline has ever won high percussion with tilted snares. Correct me if I'm wrong.......

Here we go again. We had a long and spirited discussion about THE CASELLA TILT on the percussion forum last year. I called it a gimmick. Bottom line: No DCI drumline has ever won high percussion with tilted snares. Correct me if I'm wrong.......

SCV 04.

~>conner

SCV 04.

~>conner

Yup, you're wrong.