Summer of '71

There was NOTHING like the sight of Blue Rock coming onto and going off the field in their amazing close form "huddle".

Perhaps still the most impressive way a corps came into the stadium.

I would love to have a video of it. I don't think it shows up on their history video, (which I've had since about 1988) but I'd have to watch it again to be sure.

Oh, yeah! I remember the year they came out to California and marched down the slope into the San Jose State field in that tight little group playing a wicked little drum machine-sound cadence of basically clicks, high timp and metal sounds. BEYOND cool!

That 1974 tour to California turned out to be the ultimate trip from H*** for Blue Rock, unfortunately.

They barely survived the rest of the season, and folded up as a junior corps.

It's too bad most people around today never got the chance to see them.

Here's what Blue Rock played in 1971

Give Me Your Tired and Poor

Lincoln Portrait

American Salute

Quiet Village

Rain Chant

Baby Elephant Walk

Midnight Cowboy

Everybody's Talkin At Me

Turkey in the Straw

Camptown Races

Requiem for the Masses

Everyone played "Give Me Your Tired and Poor" in those days. I remember a DCW cover photo of the contra with the pink elephant cover over the bell for"Baby Elephant Walk" (anybody have that photo). And the guard up front during "Turkey in the Straw" and "Camptown Races"

IMG_0004-4.jpg

For other 71 Blue Rock photos go to http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...67&st=16450

Edited by baja

I saw three of the eastern powerhouses (i.e. 27th, Blue Rock and Garfield) as well as the Blue Stars at the Shriners in Toronto that year. Later that same season I got to see SCV, Troopers, Cavies, Madison and Argonne at the North Americans. My only regret is that I didn't get to see Boston, Sac, St. Rita's, St. Joe's or Anaheim. Oh well ... I've got a few of them on the World Open albums, but never got to see them live. What a GREAT year for drum corps!

It was a good year. Seems we were at the same contests. I've 1971 Shriners program, posters for North American and Alhambra; see some old corps photos page 1,623 http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2521264

My scrapbook has the following notes from July 13, 1971 North Americans. 1st Santa Clara Vanguard 84.0, 2nd Troopers, 3rd Cavaliers, 4th Madison Scouts, 5th De La Salle, 6th Blue Stars, 7th Argonne Rebels, 8th Toronto Optimists, 9th Scarborough 63.0 (sorry about not writing down all the scores, it was our first year in Junior A, with full retreat, as guard captain, I might have been busy that day ever so long ago. All I remember is that Varsity Stadium was a nice venue for a drum corps contest :-)

Edit: To those that marched in 1971 and posted on this thread...nice to meet you now :biggrin:

Edited by lindap

My scrapbook has the following notes from July 13, 1971 North Americans. 1st Santa Clara Vanguard 84.0, 2nd Troopers, 3rd Cavaliers, 4th Madison Scouts, 5th De La Salle, 6th Blue Stars, 7th Argonne Rebels, 8th Toronto Optimists, 9th Scarborough 63.0 (sorry about not writing down all the scores, it was our first year in Junior A, with full retreat, as guard captain, I might have been busy that day ever so long ago.

Here are those scores, Linda:

Santa Clara 84.5

Troopers 81.8

Cavaliers 80.95

Madison 78.5

De La Salle 78.25

Blue Stars 74.95

Argonne Rebels 69.55

Toronto Optimists 63.3

Firefighters 63.25

I marched in 1971 with Santa Clara. The biggest thing that stood out from that year was how ugly and vicious the critics were towards the Cavaliers that year. With Santa Clara we could really apprecciate pushing the envelope. What was being written and said that year about the clown and the circus theme was just ugly. You would have thought they were marching nude, with long hair,(it was the early 70's) and playing acoustic guitars. People thought they were killing drum corps. I have always wanted to congratulate the members of the Cavaliers from that year for sticking it out, they were pioneers. As far as the VFW went. You could go into the finals at the VFW National Championships vying for the top spot. You could have a whole season washed down the tubes and your chances of winning a championship ruined by some old VFW guy doing an inspection on your corps, deceiding that you hadn't spit polished your shoes well enough and subtracting from your final score at the finals with ticks against that. Another reason we were all glad to escape their evil clutches.

I would also be remiss if I did not mention one of the glorious parts of 1971. That was listening to the Argonne Rebels hornline show all of us how you were supposed to sound. They were unreal.

Edited by tkelly21

I'm with you, Tim. Cavies were great that year... and it breaks my heart to watch the '71 VFW DVD of Madison and see the characters in uniform rather than costumed. It WAS amazing watching that Argonne rehearsal, wasn't it?