1 valve sop music/ANYTHING

Mersinger3

Im a Bari player but i have a 1 valve G/D old W.F.Ludwig sop . i want to learn anything , i know basic bugle calls , but i want to use the valve . if any old guys could help a young gun out , it would be greatly appreciated!

-Dylan

The open horn gives you Cs, Gs, E, and a very flat Bb. The valve side gives you Gs, Bs, Ds, and a very flat F. From these you can construct stretches of diatonic scales in the written keys of C and F.

Once you lern your G-D bugle scale, you can have fun faking all kinds of diatonic melodies. [That means tunes that have no chromatics.]

If you want to play C#, Eb, F#, and Ab you will have to pull the tuning slide a few inches. Or get yourself one of them new-fangled rotaries.

LMAO, I started a thread like this a few years ago....

Will send a PM in a few minutes, might be able to help you out....

LMAO, I started a thread like this a few years ago....

Will send a PM in a few minutes, might be able to help you out....

Could you help me as well? I gots me one of them one valved sops, and a tenor and bass bari!

Congrats, Teal Sound guy. Welcome to the club.

Could you help me as well? I gots me one of them one valved sops, and a tenor and bass bari!

Congrats, Teal Sound guy. Welcome to the club.

LMAO again.... :thumbup: So far I have two Tenor Baris (one with a valve lock and one without) and one bass Bari. Weird thing is the tone of the bass sounds a LOT of like the pistor/rotor horn I marched with in the 70s. (Well as far as I can recall 30 year old memories.)

PM me with you address Everett...

Just remembered that there is a group (3 Tenors + 1) that does DCA I&E emsemble with 1 valvers....

Just remembered that there is a group (3 Tenors + 1) that does DCA I&E emsemble with 1 valvers....

I'll have to make an effort this year to see y'all.

I'll have to make an effort this year to see y'all.

Actually it's Frank Dorrite(sp!) and three others. IOW, people with actual talent. :cool:

Wanted to see them myself but my I&E time was about the same time. :cool::cool:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Frank, Jeff and a guy from Rochester who's name escapes me right now (Darn CRS!). The "+1" is a guest. Ken Norman filled the spot a couple of years.

To the original poster: Look for stuff that doesn't have accidentals in the melody line. Also, see if you can latch onto some recordings from the early to mid-1950's. Not too many corps were using rotors and slip-slides back then. Another thing to try is listen to a tune you think you might like and then work it out on the bugle. More than likely you'll have to change the key, but doing this exercize might help your listening skills.

When you look at what the arrangers of the 40's thru the mid-60's had to work with, you'll have a much better appreciation for the skill level they had.

Frank, Jeff and a guy from Rochester who's name escapes me right now (Darn CRS!). The "+1" is a guest. Ken Norman filled the spot a couple of years.

Met Ken for the first time that night at I&E . I was at the bar buying a soda for my wife and trying to calm my nerves before I was due to go on. Guy walks up with a horn case and says "Mine's older than yours!". After I realized who it was, I wiped the WTF look off my face and had a nice talk.

Funny part was we had the horn cases on the bar so we could see each others horns better. Bartender kind of had the "####### musicians" look on his face.

Oh yeah, his horn was older than mine... :thumbup:

Hahaha, thats amazing!

I've messed around a bit on my baris, and I got "Planet Krypton (Superman)" out of them. Its just cool to just play on a horn all day long.