Stupid Things That Remind Me of Drum Corps

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bleh, butterfingers :thumbup:

Edited by sopchick_01

To paraphrase from Apocalypse Now: "I love the smell of Diesel in the morning, It smells like Drum Corps !"

I know I am a youngin' but this is a big one for me too. So many memories *sniff*

Edited by sopchick_01

Diesel for sure does it for me.

Unlike many Americans, I don't feel like a foreigner in a truck stop. When we travel I almost always look for one with a greasy spoon diner attached to it just so I can get my nostalgia fix. (I can't eat the food any more, though. I just get a cup of really hot, cheap coffee. Beats a four-buck cup of $tarbucks!)

When I hear the nearby high school rehearsing I get all excited. Then I hear how much they stink so then I start wondering if they could use a volunteer to help them clean the drum line. :thumbup:

PB&J still holds a place of fondness in my heart. Many a Nighthawks meal was served on the bus: pass the bread, pass the PB, pass the J. Last seat in the bus gets to bring it back up to the bus food cooler.

Man, good times......

Roark,

You're lucky you weren't in in 1976. They (B.H.) outfitted all buses with retread tires.

We literally broke down (or "threw a retread) at least once a day on the entire Western Tour.

One time was right at the Vail exit so that was a very cool afternoon off.

I don't remember us actually breaking down in '75. I do remember a bus getting hit by another bus at a RR crossing (was that a break failure and wasn't Ed Hill driving?) and having to get out and walk up to the top of Loveland Pass because the busses weren't going to make it fully loaded (snowball fights in June, very cool). :smile:

It's so interesting that for the longest time I thought I was the only one who had fleeting thoughts of this nature. I typically take walks along a thoroughfare we call Commercial Boulevard here in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. On some nights I can hear what sounds like a drum corp off in the southern distance and see the glow of a football field and always think: Wouldn't it be cool if there were a class "B" type contest from the old days going on. But then I hear the horns and know instantly it's a High School Band. The image pops and then I go on my way … until the next time. Weird.

Puppet

I don't remember us actually breaking down in '75. I do remember a bus getting hit by another bus at a RR crossing (was that a break failure and wasn't Ed Hill driving?) and having to get out and walk up to the top of Loveland Pass because the busses weren't going to make it fully loaded (snowball fights in June, very cool). :guinesssmilie:

Actually my favorite bus story from 1975 is the first trip in the new buses.

They were still prime gray and had just arrived somewhere from down south.

We pulled out of the Memorial High School parking lot, well actually bus #2 pulled out and bus #1 didn't -SMASH.

Bus #1 (the guard bus I think) had one of those florescent orange triangles mounted on the back the rest of the year.

Actually my favorite bus story from 1975 is the first trip in the new buses.

They were still prime gray and had just arrived somewhere from down south.

We pulled out of the Memorial High School parking lot, well actually bus #2 pulled out and bus #1 didn't -SMASH.

Bus #1 (the guard bus I think) had one of those florescent orange triangles mounted on the back the rest of the year.

"OH, we can't have nice things!"

The sound of distant drumming. It is my first and longest lasting drum corps memory. The first show I ever went to, probably like 5 years old, was initiated by the sound of lines warming up in the distance - which also explains my affection for the lot. Usually it turns out to be freight trains. :thumbup:

Edited by Tansea