Phantom New Guard Staff?

As a financial fix, it didn't completely solve the matter. But if you haven't noticed, the top 3 corps at finals usually have the longest lines at the souvie stands. So I think by placing PR in the top 3, regardless of where they deserve helps them out financially, and DCI realizes that there are a lot of PR fans in the audience, and may help them out at shows the following season if they aren't inactive.

Another thing, almost the only people who disagree with any of my statements are people that have marched Phantom in the past, no one else seems to disagree at all. The one thing I did notice when my brother marched Phantom, is that alot of the staff and members claimed they got *******, when they didn't get the placement they wanted. Well, if in the past they felt this way, the last few years should prove to be a make up call.

As for the guard this upcoming season, I can't wait to see who they get on staff. Maybe they will be better than Bluecoats this season, as they unloaded some of their staff to Bluecoats, and the new staff will hopefully be much better. I would love to see some of the spark in the guard like we saw in the early 90's. I thought those guards were much more exciting, and hope they can bring back this kind of energy in future years.

(edited for filter circumvention: DaveG)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a financial fix, it didn't completely solve the matter. But if you haven't noticed, the top 3 corps at finals usually have the longest lines at the souvie stands. So I think by placing PR in the top 3, regardless of where they deserve helps them out financially, and DCI realizes that there are a lot of PR fans in the audience, and may help them out at shows the following season if they aren't inactive.

Another thing, almost the only people who disagree with any of my statements are people that have marched Phantom in the past, no one else seems to disagree at all. The one thing I did notice when my brother marched Phantom, is that alot of the staff and members claimed they got ******, when they didn't get the placement they wanted. Well, if in the past they felt this way, the last few years should prove to be a make up call.

As for the guard this upcoming season, I can't wait to see who they get on staff. Maybe they will be better than Bluecoats this season, as they unloaded some of their staff to Bluecoats, and the new staff will hopefully be much better. I would love to see some of the spark in the guard like we saw in the early 90's. I thought those guards were much more exciting, and hope they can bring back this kind of energy in future years.

1. I never marched Regiment.

2. Interesting conjecture and opinions. None of them based in fact, but that's ok...seldom is this a requirement on DCP.

3. Bluecoats guard was all smoke and mirrors last year. They really did not perform the work they were given very well. I would say better than the past couple of years, but nowhere as good as the corps ahead of them. There were no "gifts" from the judges finals week.

Another thing, almost the only people who disagree with any of my statements are people that have marched Phantom in the past, no one else seems to disagree at all. The one thing I did notice when my brother marched Phantom, is that alot of the staff and members claimed they got *******, when they didn't get the placement they wanted. Well, if in the past they felt this way, the last few years should prove to be a make up call.

I didn't march Regiment and I think all of your conspiracy comments are absolutely ridiculous.

As far as color guard...Regiments guard was MUCH stronger than Bluecoats last year. Bluecoats made a great move in getting Rick and his team. I've heard nothing but incredible things.

genius and l'enfant terrible adam sage is one of the best designers working in the activity and continually surrounds himself with talented collaborators and assistants.

as with all of his *productions i expect "spartacus" to be musical,theatrical,passionate and exciting!

*refer to santa clara's "sherherazade" and phantom regiments "rhapsody","faust".

Edited by dugg

1. I haven't marched Phantom Regiment.

2. I DO know PR's guard director

PR's guard has one of the best men in the activity leading them on - Adam Sage. If you don't like them, that's fine. Everyone has their own opinion - this is mine.

Phantom has been consistently one of the better performing groups the last few years, as well as having some insanely challenging equipment and movement choreography. They out-performed BD, Bluecoats, Cadets, etc hands down the last few years. It's as simple as that. Like GuardGuy89 said, Bluecoats forever had issues with dead on execution. 2004 was their best, but it really never got much better. Were they exciting?? You bet! I enjoyed them very much, but I would rather watch PR's guard spin/dance any day because they are going to be more consistent and more involved in the OVERALL performance.

I think some fail to realize how much Pr's guard enhances the music the corps puts forth - they are much more dramatic and theatrical in nature than the "in your face" Blue Devils or the "big and bold" Bluecoats guards. *btw I do also truly admire the Blue Devils staff for their excellent training year after year* Subtle sophistication have served phantom's guard very well in the past (every year in fact! even their "bad" years, they were still the epitome of sohpistication) and Adam Sage has done nothing but uphold that trademark, as well as CONSISTENTLY bring out an amazing product year after year. Notice the word consistent?? Yeah, that's the big reason Phantom places so high. Bluecoats are great one day, and a mess the next. All three nights at DCI, PR's guard is on fire.

All my best to the Bluecoats - Rick Subel is a wonderful designer/instructor and will be a great asset to the Bluecoat's program. Michael Gobiel did wonders to bring Kennesaw Mountain back up to high standards, and will no doubt provide excellent instruction to the Bluecoats as well. Marlieta Matthew's - Beckman is great and I'm pleased she will return.

*These are my opinions, please feel free to disagree*

Just to start, I never marched Phantom or have been affiliated with them.

In my opinion as a guard designer Phantom has been under-scored in the last 3 seasons. They have had one of the best designed, best performed and cleanest guard programs ever since Adam Sage took the reigns. If I was judging I would have given them top guard honors.

Adam is known for working with a top notch team. I am sure that even with the exit of a few staff members they will be replaced with new staff equally strong or even better.

As a side note to my previous post - take a look at 1988 when Phantom won their first and only color guard trophy at DCI to date. That is the most "boring" show, but their execution and attention to overall detail and nuance led them past the Spirit of Atlanta, Blue Devils, Cavailers, and Cadets color guards that year. I enjoy watching that show simply to see the cleanest flat toss of the year, and possibly my life. Execution and attention to detail are key markers of a champion.

I have also heard through friends of my brother, that PR scores have been inflated from the judges trying to save the corps from bankruptcy, even a few of the corps members have seen it.

I hate to gang-up on someone, but this is a grossly irresponsible and, frankly, ridiculous statement. It is lame to assert your brother’s friends are “in the know” without qualifying who they are -- Are they senior level DCI execs or merely other opinionated fans? As far as the “few other corps members” you speak of, what exactly did they observe? Judges revising their scores? A secret DCI meeting about artificially inflating PR’s guard score? The inclusion of a “sympathy” box on PR’s scorecard? This is nonsense.

I respect your opinion (and the opinion of others) that Bluecoats’ guard has been better than PR’s guard in the last few years. However, it is simply an opinion. The judging community, and I’d wager many others (me included), would respectfully disagree with your opinion. That’s part of the fun and beauty of DCP, we can actively debate opinions. However, it is incredibly irresponsible and silly (for lack of a better word) to support your argument by making allegations that have absolutely no merit. Any argument based on nameless people who share your opinion simply means you know others who share your opinion and not that it’s the correct assessment of the facts.

If, however, “hearsay” does constitute “fact”, then I’d like to offer that I have a friend who knows this girl who heard from her brother’s friend that he overheard an important DCI person telling another important DCI person there isn’t any truth to the rumor the judge’s inflated PR’s score out of sympathy or to save the organization from bankruptcy. I should add that this same guy – the important DCI person, not my friend – is alleged to be a prominent guard expert and he was also overheard saying PR’s guard was in fact better than Bluecoat’s guard in recent years. I rest my case. :thumbup:

Another thing, almost the only people who disagree with any of my statements are people that have marched Phantom in the past, no one else seems to disagree at all. The one thing I did notice when my brother marched Phantom, is that alot of the staff and members claimed they got ******, when they didn't get the placement they wanted. Well, if in the past they felt this way, the last few years should prove to be a make up call.

I have a feeling the reason people haven't been running to your defense Melissa is because of your approach. As other posters here have said, conspriacy theories are just that and to use these theories to justify your opinion of Regiment's guard, well, just doesn't speak well for you. If you're calling people out...then name names... Oh and as for your "play on words". That's just poor taste

You have the right to voice your opinion...as do I. Care to hear mine? I think this goes deeper than a dislike of the guard...

Am I close?