So we're not even Legacy alumni anymore?

Harken back to the days of Yester-year, when drum and bugle corps ACTUALLY were DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS!

That's how they should advertise it.

NEEDLESS PEDANTRY WARNING! :thumbup:

Except that it should be: Hark back to the days of yesteryear.

I believe that "harken/hearken" means to listen, while "hark back" means to go back to an earlier time or event.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEEDLESS PEDANTRY WARNING! :ph34r:

Except that it should be: Hark back to the days of yesteryear.

I believe that "harken/hearken" means to listen, while "hark back" means to go back to an earlier time or event.

This and all posts aside, I don't know how far ahead of the curve we may have been but our director began shooting us at rehearsals as far back as 1970. Much like Football coaches did. You can even see a bit of our shows on the St. Rita's Brassmen homepage.

I think the one being featured this month is our Color Pre and was shot on a home video cam (BETA) from the yesteryear of 1971.

Check it out.

http://www.stritasbrassmen.org/home.html

Puppet

You want to experience DCI not giving a ####, try being "Legacy" north of the border. No Countdowns, no quarter finals, no tax receipts for donations. Go figure.

I guess Robin Williams was right; "Canada is like a loft apartment over a really great party." (Robin mustn't be a beer drinker!)

Edited by bedford

Harken back to the days of Yester-year, when drum and bugle corps ACTUALLY were DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS!

That's how they should advertise it.

From Wikipedia:

The bugle is one of the simplest brass instruments; it is essentially a small natural horn with no valves. All pitch control is done by varying the player's embouchure, since the bugle has no other mechanism for controlling pitch. Consequently, the bugle is limited to notes within the harmonic series.

We have not been a "bugle" corps for a long time.

Having only finals reserved for posterity is like watching only the emmy winning shows of "The Golden Girls" over and over again. After a while, you believe that those are the only four old ladies who were ever there, and ever mattered. And even then, the shows become predictable and less entertaining.

Legacy, IMO, isn't just about the original 13 DCI corps. It's also about ALL the other Open, A, and B class corps that were there and competing at the time. Dismissing them would be a complete shame.

Admittedly, the Argonauts do not contribute much of anything to "Legacy". But the current Oregon Crusaders and Seattle Cascades have roots within the Argos.

Kurt Jull (Of the Cascades) marched in our colour guard in the years I marched.

Richard Kibbey (The Legendary here. Anywhere else, you guys are probably going "who?") marched Argonauts too. As did Randy and Larry Graves.

Legacy just means we that marched in the past which have an impact on the today.

What? No one is gonna argue with me?

Actually, philosophically, I agree with you. Where we get into problems is from a practical standpoint. Does DCI even have video archived of non-Top 12 corps from yesteryear? :lol:

What? No one is gonna argue with me?

None from this camp either.

But it raises the question in my mind of where does that place those hundreds of Drum Corps who marched before DCI?

Do those 13 deserve more kudos than the others? Why?

I grew up in a city that had more competing Drum Corps of Class "A" (that's what we called what is now "World" Class!) status than that group.

Isn't this like that saying: "The winners write history"?

So what is it now? Technology dictates history?

Puppet

Okay, show of hands...Who remembers Walter Brennan talking about how the Troopers remind us all of the cavalry troopers of "yesteryear"...? And he was talking about the 1870's!!! A hundred years before Jim Jones's corps!!! A HUNDRED YEARS to be "yesteryear"?!?! :w00t:

So, the 9 yrs. from 1999 to the present is NOW the "Legacy"?

Just how far back does a legacy go? :lol:

Okay, show of hands...Who remembers Walter Brennan talking about how the Troopers remind us all of the cavalry troopers of "yesteryear"...? And he was talking about the 1870's!!! A hundred years before Jim Jones's corps!!! A HUNDRED YEARS to be "yesteryear"?!?! :w00t:

So, the 9 yrs. from 1999 to the present is NOW the "Legacy"?

Just how far back does a legacy go? :lol:

Got this from the Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: Legacy

Pronunciation:

\ˈle-gə-sē\

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s):

plural leg·a·cies

Etymology: Middle English legacie office of a legate, bequest, from Anglo-French or Medieval Latin; Anglo-French, office of a legate, from Medieval Latin legatia, from Latin legatus

Date: 15th century

1 : a gift by will especially of money or other personal property : bequest

2 : something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past <the legacy of the ancient philosophers>

I rest my case.

Puppet