'65 NY Amer. Legion Championships

St Joe's were perennial NY champs forever!!! used to love watching Utica Yankees stomp off the field every year thinking they should have won , and Bronx Kingsmen in1967 tried to tip over are bus when they lost ( no disrespect intended to the Yankee/ Bronx people) I know they gave it to Yankees 1971 because of over age in Joe's, but you still didn't really beat us

That's all Allard's fault! :ph34r::worthy:

:tongue::worthy::tongue:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not just Allard...actually who they caught were the 2 drum majors. We couldnt hide them very well.

not just Allard...actually who they caught were the 2 drum majors. We couldnt hide them very well.

HAHA ... sounds like you guys "peaked" a few years after the Bpt. PAL crew in 68 ... LOL ... nothing could have been more famous than Loretto in 62 at the Penn-Jersey when Ma Bernett went down the line with her famous "book of ages" ... a year or two later Selden was felled by her at the championship show ... ya had ta luv it!

Andy

HAHA ... sounds like you guys "peaked" a few years after the Bpt. PAL crew in 68 ... LOL ... nothing could have been more famous than Loretto in 62 at the Penn-Jersey when Ma Bernett went down the line with her famous "book of ages" ... a year or two later Selden was felled by her at the championship show ... ya had ta luv it!

Andy

Yep. It was 63 for Selden. I always understood it to be one of our members was seen by her marching in a parade with a certain senior corps. Maybe that led to the age thing, I don't recall. Then we lost to St.Lucy's in 64 by less than a tenth of a point. One of the guard girls dropped a rifle and was devistated. We tried to console her and tell her that it wasn't her fault. Whatta ya gonna do? Besides, it was just a hobby.

Ah, the good old days at Newark Schools Stadium. At least the hot dogs outside the gate were great on those chilly fall afternoons.

You had Ma Bernert...we had Bud Floyd. He was the director of the Utica "Magnificent" Yankees, with a real grudge against St. Joes. That was the only way they ever beat us...by protest. I never liked that corps because of that, until I got to know some of the members. They werent bad kids, it was just their administration that were jerks.

Even though we were wrong about the age thing, we werent alone. A lot of corps were doing it. I wouldnt want to win by protesting another corps.... We knew that all of those Joisey corps were older than us, LOL. We never protested them when we lost to them. It was almost acceptable back then.

I aged out at 19 in Purple Lancers, even though Utica was trying to protest me because I came from St Joes...haha, they thouight I was way older than I was.

Donny

Donny- You're right, the Magnificent Yankees never beat St. Joe's in our era. They may have, around '65 when the Yankees had a hot season, but...not in the late '60s or '70s.

I joined in Sept. of '71, and while on the surface there was some bragging about being the State Champs, many were honest enough to tell the whole truth.

"They were better, but had overage members, etc."

I was actually kinda quiet back then, and Bud Floyd was a great mentor to me. I never knew anything about the politics back then, so I can't say anything bad about Mr. Floyd. I remember Artie Nelson, our percussion instructor, sure could be a mean SOB when someone "ticked" in practice.

Those were the days... Seems so long ago.

You had Ma Bernert...we had Bud Floyd. He was the director of the Utica "Magnificent" Yankees, with a real grudge against St. Joes. That was the only way they ever beat us...by protest. I never liked that corps because of that, until I got to know some of the members. They werent bad kids, it was just their administration that were jerks.

Even though we were wrong about the age thing, we werent alone. A lot of corps were doing it. I wouldnt want to win by protesting another corps.... We knew that all of those Joisey corps were older than us, LOL. We never protested them when we lost to them. It was almost acceptable back then.

I aged out at 19 in Purple Lancers, even though Utica was trying to protest me because I came from St Joes...haha, they thouight I was way older than I was.

Donny

It did seem like the overage thing was acceptable in some cases. I recall behind the scenes at the 64 World Open and seeing some of the Kilties playing with their grandchildren. Heh.

HEY! Put the bat down, I'm joking here of course!

Hey Donny...everybody in St. Joe's was over age even if you were 19! LOL

Hey the Shamrocks from Tonawanda...was that Charlie Fleischman's group? Charlie ran all the parades in North Tonawanda up until a few years ago. Right before he passed away he was the Grand Marshall for the Canalfest parade.

Also, anyone know if Larry Soos was in the drum line with Hamburg that year?

• 1 month later...
The night of the Equal Opportunity Mace Spray. I remember it well. The party after the show was going along just fine. The cop had just gone off duty and had taken his hat off and ordered a beer and then all hell broke loose. He got real nervous, pulled out his mace and was spraying it like it was air freshener. He hit everybody. Your eyeballs looked like they were going to pop out of your head.

If I remember correctly, the cops' ( Tony ) immortal words were, " You're all under arrest!" I don't believe any one ever did get arrested. But the party was over. The next day, some of us had to do some fast talking to the club manager.l