'65 NY Amer. Legion Championships

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what's REALLY interesting about that program; it lists Mighty St. Joe's in first place and the St. Joe's Peanuts in last place.

I'd like to see a lineup of who was in THAT corps. I bet you'll find some Hall of Famers.

I'm sure some of you have an idea of who was in the 1965 St. Joe's Peanuts.

We got screwed, we should have kicked (Rod and Larry Keppel's) Murray Hose all over the field.

So I guess I was one.

Name the 2 others...

Donny

We got screwed, we should have kicked (Rod and Larry Keppel's) Murray Hose all over the field.

So I guess I was one.

Name the 2 others...

Donny

donny your still a peanut.........just kidding :lol:

I know...that just can't be!

Thats why 10 years later in Phoenix we had to kick Murray Hose's butt at the party after the Dunkirk show. LOL....

Donny

I know...that just can't be!

Thats why 10 years later in Phoenix we had to kick Murray Hose's butt at the party after the Dunkirk show. LOL....

Donny

The night of the Equal Opportunity Mace Spray. I remember it well. The party after the show was going along just fine. The cop had just gone off duty and had taken his hat off and ordered a beer and then all hell broke loose. He got real nervous, pulled out his mace and was spraying it like it was air freshener. He hit everybody. Your eyeballs looked like they were going to pop out of your head.

• 1 month later...

When I was quite young and we were living in Chicago, I remember us going w/ The Royal Airs to NYC and Wash. DC for a competition.

I just cant remember the year and what championship it was or how they placed.

Any idea?

LOL I remember Mom getting a really bad burn in a tanning bed. While we were in NYC.

I also remember the dance after the contest. There was a band and I was dancing with all the kids in the corps.~grins~

I can remember the song,Summer In The City, and the music stopping as the corps pleaded w/ Mom to let me stay, when she showed up to take me to bed.

I love that memory.

In D.C, was it the Diplomat hotel where we stayed?I remember the beds were infested w/ bed bugs. LOL All the girls were squealing. As we rushed from the hotel, in the middle of the night, LOL I recall that there was mention of a popular movie star in the lobby w/ a prostitute. I can't remember where we ended up. ?

Good times!

When I was quite young and we were living in Chicago, I remember us going w/ The Royal Airs to NYC and Wash. DC for a competition.

I just cant remember the year and what championship it was or how they placed.

Any idea?

It sure sounds like it was 1966......VFW was in NYC (actually Roosevelt Field in Jersey) and then a few days later everyone went to Washington DC for the Amer. Legion Nationals.

Yes, it all sounds like good memories for you.

]

"It sure sounds like it was 1966......VFW was in NYC (actually Roosevelt Field in Jersey) and then a few days later everyone went to Washington DC for the Amer. Legion Nationals.

Yes, it all sounds like good memories for you."

Yes, 1966 VFW in Roosevelt Stadium was the night of the infamous IC Reveries 'sit down strike' on the starting line which led to the birth of the 27th Lancers the following year. I wasn't able to go, but have heard the story many times.

Two days later, we were off to D.C. for the Legion Nationals: Friday night rehearsal lasted until past midnight, an early morning run-through, followed by prelims Saturday morning. Finals were Sunday night, so we practiced all day Saturday and all-day Sunday. What a weekend!

Col. Crawford arranged our music that year, and Don Angelica was the horn instructor. I'm certain he visited us at some point that weekend to listen and advise, but I don't recall exactly. It may have been Sunday afternoon when we had a music rehearsal under some trees next to our hotel, the Mariott Twin Bridges.

At retreat that night, after third place was announced, Bobby Hoffman turned and calmly told us all: "Everybody, remain calm if we win. No celebrating." Then he proceeded to jump on me, cheering, when the second place score was announced and we knew we had won!

Fond memories of my first-ever Nationals.