Lying about corps experience

hm..nevermind

Oh, come on, Jay--you're one of those guys who remembers "Mr. Fielder" when asked.

<waits a while for a few slow-pokes to catch up--joke, not insulting the former Director--gigging Jay--fellow Dallas boy>

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'll tell you about it in a PM. I typed a whole story out but then realized that I'm one of the very few people who knows about this particular incident. I wasn't going to mention names or corps, but still, at least for now, I think it's in my best interest to keep quiet about the whole thing.

If you think real hard about your corps experience, you should find many reasons why putting your experience on a resume. While it may not be directly related to your job, there are MANY characteristics and aspects that cross over and could potentially put you over someone else who is interviewing for the same position.

yep. it's on my resume. :)

My favorite one of these stories happened to me after the 92' season. I was at a h.s. marching band comp. in the fall of 92' and I was talking to some guys in the consession lines and this one guy goes on to tell me that he played tympani for Freelaners that past summer. Unfortunately for him I knew he wasn't telling the truth because I was the Tympani player from that season.

I didn't actually verbally call him out on it. I just said "really, thats pretty cool". I then took my corps jacket out of my backpack and put it on infront of him and his freinds. Once he saw that the jacket had the years I marched on the sleave and what section i was in he just turned pail. I remained in line next to the guys and didn't really say anything else to them. The best part was that his freinds kept harassing him about it

best story ever. :peek:

People didn't do that back in 94 did they? :tongue:

BTW, I just heard from your buddy Melanie--I'll see if she minds me putting you in touch and email it to you. She has a new last name now--something with a hyphen in it!

Yes, can you believe it? People have been "elaborating" their drum corps experience all the way back in the '90's!

Oh and I'd love to get in touch with Melanie. Tell her I said, "hello"...

-GM

I've actually had someone tell me they marched Scouts 2006 on the snare line. I just looked at him and said, "No you didn't," showed him my Madison tattoo, and turned around.

Lost a sale?

Hopefully she let her talk while she range up the sale and took the money, then outed her for the liar she was.

That would be a double whammy

Well, I went to a Kingsmen camp in '88-ish. And a VK camp in '89. I had no intention of marching either as I was marching elsewhere. But does that make me an alumni?

As far as calling people out on fictitious names, I never really knew peoples names when I marched. I knew a ton of nick names. And maybe first names. Do you know Mike XXXX, well heck, I knew something like 13 Mikes, 10 of them were on staff, surely one of them had that last name. It's near impossible to recognize corps people from their names in some cases. Even ones you marched with. Having an alumni mailing list now, I don't recognize names that well. Especially all of the females that got married and changed their last names.

Some gained weight, some lost weight, some even had plastic surgery, so pictures don't help much either. The alumni group even started posting pictures. I can't even recognize myself anymore. When the heck did I have / wear purple shorts. WTF??? No wonder I was always being hit on by gay guys.

I've mentioned to people that I was in the quartet in '89. And they're all like you're the one on the end. And I'm like NO, I'm the one next to the end. The only guy on Euphonium. They're like the guy on the end. No, next to the end, the guy with the biggest bell. So anyway I watch the video some years later to realize that I was on the end. And that we had made that change like the last two weeks of tour. Oops.

As far as resume's, having worked for some questionable IT consulting agencies. There's been at least once where the resume I submitted to them to be submitted to the job got rewritten. My version was a simple list of events and facts. Their version which I got a chance to look at because I got to be good friends with the hiring manager went on and on about my military experience. Which was like a one line blurp on my version. It's amazing that I got any IT job ever. Although I did list that I maintained the bands event database. And by database I mean the printed weekly schedule because I was one of a few people that knew how to type. And what took the SGT two hours to finger punch into the computer, I typed up in about two minutes. When I first arrived at the unit they were writing it on a chalk board in only one of the three buildings. And then we got a printer... woohoo... And then we got a xerox machine double woohoo...