Drum Corps Trivia

Donna (year?)

CORRECT!!!

The year was 1990......there was a mello solo in "Maria", and the original person who was supposed to play it got so drunk on a bus trip to Cumberland, that he could not get off the bus for rehearsal in the morning, so Mike Longdo told Donna to play it, and the rest is history.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron.....that would be the Hormel (sp) Corps.....I think they were given a nickname the 'Spamettes'

J

Yep, right after WWII. - Austin, MN was the home (I think)

Brian Tolzman has a great write up in History of Drum Corps Vol II

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

You're dancing around a few of my questions...

Butch is of course, correct. Was warming up to replace Wink in NY.

To Horns up... as for #8... certainly is Upstate... Syracuse... bobby bellarosa may have used it but this guy made the money off it and actually copywrited it...

You seem to know the other two you mentioned but didn't name names.... "Infamous" is certainly a term many would use and yes, the one family owned an Italian restaurant...

ok... I'll play... Upstate trivia... Have at it Mr. Allen...

4. What corps did Vince Bruni leave to begin his long career with the Hilton Crusaders? Bonus points if you can name the founding director of the Crusaders who talked him into jumping ship as drill arranger/instructor.

5. What instrument did Vince Bruni play? YES... he did march and play an instrument...

4. Vince Bruni left the Brockport-Batavia Cavaliers to teach drill to the Hilton Crusaders who were a firemen's parade corps.

5. Vince was a tenor drummer.

yup... 2 down... Gary W? as in Winkleman?

Vince indeed played tenor and bass drum and left the Brockport Batavia Cavaliers to teach Cru. Since the question is answered without the bonus... Jack Jennejahn is the one who got him to come over to the Hilton Fire Dept. Crusaders.

Hints?

1. Also DM for Brigs

2. One Italian family and one Irish family... and yes, the Italian and Irish mobs did clash on many occasions.

3. Think "South of the Border"

4. answered Brockport Batavia Cavaliers

5. answered tenor and bass drum

6. Think of the locomotive...

7. Only an x Gaucho could get this... but he was a Fulton NY Mailman and lead sop.

8. Still waiting for "hornsup" to answer but he was (is) indeed infamous and lives in Southern California

9. Everyone's hall of famer - Junior corps had the highest mark time of any corps - former DCI champion

10. Midwest judge who marched with Sr. Kilties which is ironic considering who he DM'd for.

11. answered Butch Anderson

Ok I will bite on this...

1) Don Coroccio (sp.)

2) Zampi or Ragonese for the italian side, not sure about the irish side

6) I seem to reacll that Joe (or Betty) Waters had something to do with I am a drum corps nut

8) Rocco Oliverio-Anaheim Kingsmen

Donny

Ok I will bite on this...

1) Don Coroccio (sp.)

2) Zampi or Ragonese for the italian side, not sure about the irish side

6) I seem to reacll that Joe (or Betty) Waters had something to do with I am a drum corps nut

8) Rocco Oliverio-Anaheim Kingsmen

Donny

#9. Bill Howard- Madison Scouts

# 10. Doc anderson marched with the Racine Scouts (jr. corps)

Hi Donny

1. Carrocio is correct...

2. While Zampi and Ragonese both had 2 brothers in the corps... they did not have 5... You do know this one for the Italian... there's only one major Italian family left... further hint... The Hall of Famer in the family had left us prematurely... as a French Horn myself, I looked up to him and as a kid worshipped him (not an exageration)

The Irish part is before your time...

Hint... The most famous of the Irish family - when they split in 1960... went on to become the first horn instructor for the Fulton Gauchos - later to be replaced by his mentor, Brad Longdo

6. Betty and Joe did sell drum corps nut stuff that they purchased from this late Syracuse entrepreneur...

Hint... YOU knew him well...

8. Rocco is right!!! started with Salamanca Black Knights

Let's review...

1. Answered the late Don Carrocio

2. One Italian family and one Irish family... and yes, the Italian and Irish mobs did clash on many occasions.

Further hint... the most famous from each family played side by side in the French Horn line. The Irish left the corps in the early 60's - following a huge blow up!

3. Think "South of the Border"

Further hint... my first senior competition was with this corps in 1959. Only an upstater would remember them... Their home town has a name that sounds "South of the Border"

4. answered Brockport Batavia Cavaliers

5. answered tenor and bass drum

6. Think of the locomotive...

Can't believe someone hasn't guessed this Syracuse Entrepreneur

7. Only an x Gaucho could get this... but he was a Fulton NY Mailman and lead sop.

Too esoteric for the general public... his name was Gene Tracy

8. Answered Rocco Oliverio

9. Everyone's hall of famer - Junior corps had the highest mark time of any corps - former DCI champion

Well it's not Jim Jones or Royer - who was the third part of that triumverate in Wisconsin?

10. Midwest judge who marched with Sr. Kilties which is ironic considering who he DM'd for.

Dr. Dick judged often in the midwest and played for Kilties... even though he was DM for....................

He's a dentist... how many midwest judges who was a dentist marched Kilties? If it was ironic that he marched kilties, it would be logical that he was DM for their rival... who was that?

11. answered Butch Anderson

Ok then I will change my name in #2 to Cerimelli for the Italian side.

Maybe John Laskowski had something to do with I am drum corps nut.