Drum Corps Trivia

Let's review...

6. Think of the locomotive...

Can't believe someone hasn't guessed this Syracuse Entrepreneur

The only Syracuse entrepreneur I can think of is Laskowski ... but tie that to a locomotive?

Hmmmm ....

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let's catch up... we're getting there...

Bill Howard did indeed march Crusaders... when he took over Madison - they exploded ... he was a Major player in the formation of DCI

John Chooch Laskowski it is... he copywrited that logo and theme... (or at least claimed to have) - he got his nic name because when he got mad on the drill field he would put his head down and charge at you like a locomotive... believe me, I had him charge at me plenty in the Gauchos where he was our drill man.

Dr. Richard Anderson indeed was DM of Racine Scouts (chrome domes)... someone up there must have really did a doubletake when he put on the kilt.

Cerimeli's had 5 brothers at one time or another involved... Phil of course is the best known... I marched with 4 of them at one time or another...

that leaves us with just 1 and a half to go... so I guess I'll give you the rest and we can move on to someone else's trivia.

The other large Brigadier family was the McManus family led by Lenny on French horn. Lenny was Fulton Gaucho's first horn instructor for the 1960/61 seasons before Brad Longdo took over.

And finally, although my brother and I both started with a parade corps called the Oswego Pathfinders, in 1959 - my first field competition - I was with the Mexico Gray Barons led by Mexico HS Band Director Sheldon K. Blank. Shell was one HUGE man and I would guess to be 6'10" and over 300 lbs. He was one major you didn't give any crap to. My first contest in 1959 was in Sydney NY (in the Catskills) - some things you never forget.

Madonna mia.......che stupido...... :tongue:

John Chooch Laskowski it is... he copywrited that logo and theme... (or at least claimed to have)

Didn't realize that. I was familiar with Tru Crawford selling the Ts in magazine ads for his Sounds and Songs store. We still want to see the pic of his T-shirt model.

But then, I believe Truman was originally from a fife & drum corps in Endicott NY. Which IS Upstate, but barely - you can flick your ashes, and a slight breeze will blow them into Pennsylvania.

Truman was indeed from the Southern Tier of NY. He knew Chooch well... I'm sure they worked together...

Interesting the close connection between Truman Crawford, The Gabriel brothers and Corky Fabrizio... was that a hotbed for talent or what?

Ron.....that would be the Hormel (sp) Corps.....I think they were given a nickname the 'Spamettes'

J

(I answered last night, but it didn't show up for some reason...)

Bingo!

"The Hormel Girls were a unique sales force started in 1946 with teams of young ex-servicewomen who originally sold George A. Hormel Company meat products—door to door and store to store. Hormel’s marketing strategy was to combine sales and music. The Girls formed the first all-woman drum and bugle corps and competed at the 1947 American Legion’s National Drum and Bugle Contest, thus gaining Hormel national recognition."

(From: http://www.historytheatre.com/hormel_girls.asp )

Next Question:

Name the first North American drum corps to play for British royalty...

(It was a senior corps.)

6. Betty and Joe did sell drum corps nut stuff that they purchased from this late Syracuse entrepreneur...

John Laskowski? (sp) Joe and Betty were a trip! Colorful people are what makes Drum Corps the great family that it is.

Yes Tom, Gary Winkelman.

Edited by Gary W

(I answered last night, but it didn't show up for some reason...)

Bingo!

"The Hormel Girls were a unique sales force started in 1946 with teams of young ex-servicewomen who originally sold George A. Hormel Company meat products—door to door and store to store. Hormel’s marketing strategy was to combine sales and music. The Girls formed the first all-woman drum and bugle corps and competed at the 1947 American Legion’s National Drum and Bugle Contest, thus gaining Hormel national recognition."

(From: http://www.historytheatre.com/hormel_girls.asp )

Next Question:

Name the first North American drum corps to play for British royalty...

(It was a senior corps.)

i'll bite.........empire statesman.