SCV Alumnus launches new drum corps and band scoring comapny

I like the minimalistic approach to the site. Definitely a breath of fresh air.

However, as a web designer myself, I worry about having the entire content of your pages in images, rather than text. From a search engine point-of-view, there's no text that can be indexed, so it won't even show up as a blip on the radar in the search results. Also, for users that use screen readers or have other accessibility concerns, there's nothing for their screen reader to read.

Edited by MagicBobert

I like the minimalistic approach to the site. Definitely a breath of fresh air.

However, as a web designer myself, I worry about having the entire content of your pages in images, rather than text. From a search engine point-of-view, there's no text that can be indexed, so it won't even show up as a blip on the radar in the search results. Also, for users that use screen readers or have other accessibility concerns, there's nothing for their screen reader to read.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for this. I am a composer and not really a web designer. I put this together using iWeb. The concerns you addressed are totally new to me so thanks very much. Is there any way to add text from a search engine point of view (or meta-tags? etc.) or a way to convert the output of iWeb to address these concerns? We definitely want to get this in front of as many eyes as possible and don't want to limit our searchability. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for taking the time to give us feedback. Very cool.

James

Hi Bob,

Thanks for this. I am a composer and not really a web designer. I put this together using iWeb. The concerns you addressed are totally new to me so thanks very much. Is there any way to add text from a search engine point of view (or meta-tags? etc.) or a way to convert the output of iWeb to address these concerns? We definitely want to get this in front of as many eyes as possible and don't want to limit our searchability. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for taking the time to give us feedback. Very cool.

James

I'm not all that familiar with iWeb, or what it's capable of, because I deal mostly with Windows and Linux machines. I checked one of my client's sites, though (a high school band program), where I have the director's iWeb blog hooked up to the site. It looks like iWeb can definitely do text output, because the director's blog is all text.

It might be due to the fonts you're using. Perhaps iWeb wants to make sure that it looks the same to everyone, so it converts the whole thing to an image? If you try to select some text from the site you'll see what I mean. When you try to select an individual word, it highlights the whole image.

The biggest reason that it's important to have the body content of your site in text is that if it's in images or Flash animations and such, search engines can't read it. They'll basically stop by your site, see a bunch of pictures, and leave, since they can't read (or even know) that the content of the page is written in the images.

Again, sorry to be of little help, but I'm not familiar with how you might change or fix that with iWeb. Maybe a Mac user can jump in and share some insight...

I like the design though! It's very visually simple (that's good!) and easy to find the important information. :tongue:

EDIT: Ok, I found some plain text. On the Music page where it says "To hear a medley of some...", that's definitely plain text. Whatever you did there works fine.

Edited by MagicBobert

I'm not all that familiar with iWeb, or what it's capable of, because I deal mostly with Windows and Linux machines. I checked one of my client's sites, though (a high school band program), where I have the director's iWeb blog hooked up to the site. It looks like iWeb can definitely do text output, because the director's blog is all text.

It might be due to the fonts you're using. Perhaps iWeb wants to make sure that it looks the same to everyone, so it converts the whole thing to an image? If you try to select some text from the site you'll see what I mean. When you try to select an individual word, it highlights the whole image.

The biggest reason that it's important to have the body content of your site in text is that if it's in images or Flash animations and such, search engines can't read it. They'll basically stop by your site, see a bunch of pictures, and leave, since they can't read (or even know) that the content of the page is written in the images.

Again, sorry to be of little help, but I'm not familiar with how you might change or fix that with iWeb. Maybe a Mac user can jump in and share some insight...

I like the design though! It's very visually simple (that's good!) and easy to find the important information. :tongue:

EDIT: Ok, I found some plain text. On the Music page where it says "To hear a medley of some...", that's definitely plain text. Whatever you did there works fine.

I will make sure to type future content in iWeb as opposed to copying it from another app. Thanks for your time and tips.

James

Hi Harry! Thanks for the feedback! Was it high, fast and loud enough for you?

You know how I like it James. So, which corps is going to play "Harry The Happy Go Lucky Chimp"?

Well done, Jim!

Best of luck on your new venture.

You know how I like it James. So, which corps is going to play "Harry The Happy Go Lucky Chimp"?

whoever can play the highest, fastest and loudest on G Bugles with two valves!

Well done, Jim!

Best of luck on your new venture.

Hi Chris,

thanks for checking out the site. Let us know if you need any arranging or originals. We would be happy to help you out in any way we can.

Jim