The Death of Drum Corps

We have some interesting and "spirited" conversations on the Cavalier Alumni forum about when drum corps stopped being drum corps. For some it was when bugles went from G to B flat. Some when sops turned into trumpets. Some when guards stopped marching and started dancing. For some it hasn't happened yet until the rules change to allow woodwinds (it's coming, trust me)

When did it stop for you?

For me, honestly, it was finally this year with the rules changes (i.e. keyboards, guitars and the mic'ing of the horns, etc.) We are now in a age of drum corps being a Super Bowl half time show.

We have some interesting and "spirited" conversations on the Cavalier Alumni forum about when drum corps stopped being drum corps. For some it was when bugles went from G to B flat. Some when sops turned into trumpets. Some when guards stopped marching and started dancing. For some it hasn't happened yet until the rules change to allow woodwinds (it's coming, trust me)

When did it stop for you?

For me, honestly, it was finally this year with the rules changes (i.e. keyboards, guitars and the mic'ing of the horns, etc.) We are now in a age of drum corps being a Super Bowl half time show.

We've pretty much beaten this subject to death.

But I'll still answer. two-valve to three valve and g to bflat, for me.

And yet still, I go to every show and pay premium ticket prices and buy souvies... So in reality, it's never "died".

Let's just say that "drum and BUGLE corps" died with the addition of Bb trumpets !!!

If the powers that be want to call it drum corps....that's up to them.

The difference between todays drum corps and marching bands are slim at best. (if they want to add "woodwinds and reed

instruments".... :rolleyes: )

The kids that work their tails off like we did, I have the most respect for, that part of this activity, for me, will never change. :ph34r:

Drum and Bugle corps has NOT died!!! It has evolved and evolved over the past 50+ years to what it is today. Let's be realistic here, the horns have been changing from no valves to one valve to a valve and a slide to a valve and a rotor to two valves to three valves and then from G to Bb. EVOLUTION whether we like it or not everything must change. Football helmets have changed, race cars have changed, teaching has changed and student behavior has changed. We adapt and move on because worrying about yesterday is to late.

Drum corps are dying ...yes but we all know why that is ..BUT the activity is better, at least the product on the field is better from the top 12 to the worst corps in Open class.

I believe drum corps died for many people along the way since 1972.

It's pretty irrelevent as to why it happened.

What's more important is that drum and bugle corps was dying before 1972. Corps were folding before DCI. Audiences for some events were dwindling before DCI.

I guess what's more relevant is when did the drum corps experience begin for you? When was it born? For some it was the 1950s or 60s, for some it was later, for some, it was a couple months ago.

Can we just stop with the negativity and look for opportunities to introduce others to what we love? And it doesn't even have to be a DCI or DCA show. It can be old tapes or DVDs of shows when you marched.

I don't know. Can't we at least have a great wake before the funeral?

Drum and Bugle corps has NOT died!!! It has evolved and evolved over the past 50+ years to what it is today. Let's be realistic here, the horns have been changing from no valves to one valve to a valve and a slide to a valve and a rotor to two valves to three valves and then from G to Bb. EVOLUTION whether we like it or not everything must change. Football helmets have changed, race cars have changed, teaching has changed and student behavior has changed. We adapt and move on because worrying about yesterday is to late.

Drum corps are dying ...yes but we all know why that is ..BUT the activity is better, at least the product on the field is better from the top 12 to the worst corps in Open class.

That would be the numbers 13 through 15th place then? If drum corps isn't dead, it's certainly endangered. And I don't mean because of music changes either. It's the funding needed to keep corps going.

Hell, even if I had the money in THIS day and age, what with all the newfangled changes to drum corps, I'd still field a corps myself.

Edited by apoch003

I do not think that Drum Corps died, I think my interest in it has. Everything HAS to change, but when it changes so much that my recognition becomes sparse, its too much change. I however commend those who have adapted to those changes and still enjoy what is put on the field.

I really enjoyed the changes that occurred from 72-79. As a guard guy I watched demand jump considerably for guards, and what changed was largely positive IMO.

I also enjoyed the changes that occurred from 80-89. There was enough varity between guards to make it interesting to watch. There were guards that emphasized movement and dance, others solid equipment work, and everything in between.

I also enjoyed the changes in the early 90's. Show were just incredible during this period.

After 1995 DCI just lost me. It got too esoteric, too artsy, and I enjoyed fewer and fewer corps.

Since the beginning of this decade, I have enjoyed really only one corps shows year after year, and some corps some years, and others just not at all. The funny thing is the corp I really liked alot in the early 90's(Cadets) are the corp I enjoy the least today.

Edited by deftguy

Drum and Bugle Corps (and Color Guard) didn't "die"...

...it was harrassed, defamed, tortured, mutilated, and then premeditatively murdered....

Edited by GuyW