The Death of Drum Corps

I don't think that's Drum and Bugle Corps. D&BC is an accoutrement to a soldier. You had to want to be a soldier I guess, not a fairy. I understand that isn't fair to the children but a......... You know when you get into the service and D&BC for real certainly you will not be fairy dancing and "men in tights"!!??  I do see that some of the military style remains but very little. Those rules were for that reason. Now, bring anything you need to and dance all night, humm? By "72" my horn instructor was told his writing wasn't any good because he didn't have a music degree and those with one couldn't write a show and kept getting penalize. So much for the 13 minute warning to put the honor guard, mind you across the end line.  That rule removed into five minutes of G.E. humm? Which obviously leads to all of the bounds of the field being removed. So, you're accredited with redacting that name because you don't produce that anymore only a fine accredited mess "Ollie". Summer band with bugles and drums, that's about it. That's where it died as soon as people couldn't compete under those strict moral standards of "god and Country", the morals of a soldier, gee!🤥🤥

Anyone for Cyber D&BC? Here's a sample 11 mins.Cyber D&BC. Oh here we go!  Mention competition between to humans and wah wah wah wah wah. And the same thing will happen too. No that's not preformatted I like writing marchs. Not dance music, adaptations should draw less credit in cyber, since you have your fine parchment. Second chance to write a drum corps show not a dance routine. I would enjoy seeing what the "computer genius" does with it though. I'm dragging along because it's a hobby, but you probably could get it finished in six months , math skills and programming ability. i don't think that's D&BC anymore. Like every childhood experience it's LONGGONE.

On 2/10/2020 at 7:04 AM, KeithHall said:

Drum corps is STILL ALIVE!!!! It may not be the same as when you marched but that was when we were kids. Today's kids still call it drum corps!

Funny how this was started 12 years ago and corps play even better than back then.

okay yesteryear has a judge on the field listening to articulation and intonation. Your not playing while your skippin trippin and flippin so your G.E. score would be less. Those rules are gone so you can skip trip and flip. So how do you believe such a thing .

4 hours ago, LONGGONE said:

okay yesteryear has a judge on the field listening to articulation and intonation. Your not playing while your skippin trippin and flippin so your G.E. score would be less. Those rules are gone so you can skip trip and flip. So how do you believe such a thing .

Have you truly listened to these kids playing today??? running 16th notes at tempos unheard of back in the day! Better yet, have you listened to recordings in the 1960's and 1970's with bad intonation/overblowing? Now listen to today's brass players. NO COMPARISON!!! Oh and let me add all themoving that they do. Call it whatever you want because it's your opinion and that's okay.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2020 at 8:26 AM, Algernon said:

Clearly proper grammar, punctuation and coherent thoughts died as well.

and paragraphs

10 hours ago, LONGGONE said:

I don't think that's Drum and Bugle Corps. D&BC is an accoutrement to a soldier. You had to want to be a soldier I guess, not a fairy. I understand that isn't fair to the children but a......... You know when you get into the service and D&BC for real certainly you will not be fairy dancing and "men in tights"!!??  I do see that some of the military style remains but very little. Those rules were for that reason. Now, bring anything you need to and dance all night, humm? By "72" my horn instructor was told his writing wasn't any good because he didn't have a music degree and those with one couldn't write a show and kept getting penalize. So much for the 13 minute warning to put the honor guard, mind you across the end line.  That rule removed into five minutes of G.E. humm? Which obviously leads to all of the bounds of the field being removed. So, you're accredited with redacting that name because you don't produce that anymore only a fine accredited mess "Ollie". Summer band with bugles and drums, that's about it. That's where it died as soon as people couldn't compete under those strict moral standards of "god and Country", the morals of a soldier, gee!🤥🤥

Anyone for Cyber D&BC? Here's a sample 11 mins.Cyber D&BC. Oh here we go!  Mention competition between to humans and wah wah wah wah wah. And the same thing will happen too. No that's not preformatted I like writing marchs. Not dance music, adaptations should draw less credit in cyber, since you have your fine parchment. Second chance to write a drum corps show not a dance routine. I would enjoy seeing what the "computer genius" does with it though. I'm dragging along because it's a hobby, but you probably could get it finished in six months , math skills and programming ability. i don't think that's D&BC anymore. Like every childhood experience it's LONGGONE.

Truly sad you chose to bemoan what the activity is NOT instead of what it is -  namely an experience for its members and entertainment for the audience (of which you are clearly not a member)

Peace brother

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Algernon said:

Truly sad you chose to bemoan what the activity is NOT instead of what it is -  namely an experience for its members and entertainment for the audience (of which you are clearly not a member)

Peace brother

That's what i mean you're one of the people who past me while i stood in a field at attention allowing the mosquitos to suck the blood out of me an the other children lived in the parking lots! You fail to recognize what it took to compete under rules . Obviously its easy with no rules. Why did i pay only $168/yr and these kids pay thousands.  Rules seem to make you work hard and no rules cost more!!? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Have you truly listened to these kids playing today??? running 16th notes at tempos unheard of back in the day! Better yet, have you listened to recordings in the 1960's and 1970's with bad intonation/overblowing? Now listen to today's brass players. NO COMPARISON!!! Oh and let me add all themoving that they do. Call it whatever you want because it's your opinion and that's okay.

That's just it that's not part of the score called technique. It's easy to play long tones listen to scv in 74 the children's symphony or what ever. that's what i mean you can't do that trippin flippin and skippin.High scrutiny means more talent applied. Rules removed because of low talent. That's my argument when we compete under the same terms then there is a fair comparison. The recording equipment plus instrumentation factors are not an example of better ability. if you played the same music from today you sound the same way then, and guess what it tends to be the same charts. I see what's done now and believe me you couldn't perform under those rules because this is the low talent of today. why change the rules.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LONGGONE said:

That's what i mean you're one of the people who past me while i stood in a field at attention allowing the mosquitos to suck the blood out of me an the other children lived in the parking lots! You fail to recognize what it took to compete under rules . Obviously its easy with no rules. Why did i pay only $168/yr and these kids pay thousands.  Rules seem to make you work hard and no rules cost more!!? 

Oh I get it. You must be putting us on. No one truly would be saying this stuff in earnest

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LONGGONE said:

That's just it that's not part of the score called technique. It's easy to play long tones listen to scv in 74 the children's symphony or what ever. that's what i mean you can't do that trippin flippin and skippin.High scrutiny means more talent applied. Rules removed because of low talent. That's my argument when we compete under the same terms then there is a fair comparison. The recording equipment plus instrumentation factors are not an example of better ability. if you played the same music from today you sound the same way then, and guess what it tends to be the same charts. I see what's done now and believe me you couldn't perform under those rules because this is the low talent of today. why change the rules.

Wow!!! 

I marched in the early 1970's, we did OTL, Concert, Color Pre and exit, etc but that was back then. DCI came and changed the game. That was a good thing! The quality is better today. Technique is better today my friend...WAY BETTER! I know you don't want to hear it but it's the truth! Yes my marching days in the 1970's were fun but if I were 18 again I would love to do what these young people are doing! If you don't want to watch it then why are you here? If you don't like what it has become, why are you here? There are many of us older people who appreciate what these kids can do today.  

What I really want to say is.....Don't spoil this activity for the young people that do it today. Go watch/listen to something YOU enjoy and stop bringing down the activity that young people still do! 

I'm not a fan of the NHL's or NFL's rules that have changed over the decades but SO WHAT! It's still football or hockey! I liked when hockey players didn't have to wear helmets but I got over it and it's okay. 

If the changes in DCI or DCA bother you then watch something else! We can't all be happy. Think about what the kids today will say about their activity in 40 or 50 years! 

Your name really says it all...LONGGONE! Yes I agree!

• Like 2

I thought that this forum was about Historical Jr Corps. Frankly I have very little interest in corps after about the late 1970s.

If I was interested in more modern bands, I would be a DCI follower.