The Death of Drum Corps

On 3/12/2020 at 7:17 AM, KeithHall said:

Wow!!! 

I marched in the early 1970's, we did OTL, Concert, Color Pre and exit, etc but that was back then. DCI came and changed the game. That was a good thing! The quality is better today. Technique is better today my friend...WAY BETTER! I know you don't want to hear it but it's the truth! Yes my marching days in the 1970's were fun but if I were 18 again I would love to do what these young people are doing! If you don't want to watch it then why are you here? If you don't like what it has become, why are you here? There are many of us older people who appreciate what these kids can do today.  

What I really want to say is.....Don't spoil this activity for the young people that do it today. Go watch/listen to something YOU enjoy and stop bringing down the activity that young people still do! 

I'm not a fan of the NHL's or NFL's rules that have changed over the decades but SO WHAT! It's still football or hockey! I liked when hockey players didn't have to wear helmets but I got over it and it's okay. 

If the changes in DCI or DCA bother you then watch something else! We can't all be happy. Think about what the kids today will say about their activity in 40 or 50 years! 

Your name really says it all...LONGGONE! Yes I agree!

So find Tonya Harding "young" bust Acheson in the knee caps. Get rid of all of the D&BC people and have the summer Liberal arts theater that the children seem to like and enjoy. That's what needs to be done. I thought they scrapped all of the rules as early as 2005. I'm really hurt that the full orchestra isn't on the field because that's what the children want. That really is the overall thought, we had to live off the crack of our behind but i just believe $$thousands$$ should gain better humanity and indeed what they may perceive of this performance opportunity. It's has to go forward. Whats left of my old unit was being administrated by two of my friends and I saw they thought they were going to get their old dreams out of the corps now. I think it's time to let go of D&BC.

On 3/11/2020 at 6:35 PM, Algernon said:

Oh I get it. You must be putting us on. No one truly would be saying this stuff in earnest

You called me a boheam! Yes monoliths from that era may think along the lines of their moral upbringing and therefore feel insulted by any mischaracterization of any work they do. So it does strike me that you don't get what you got unless i didn't participate the way i did. So clean it up, your a ######## with no parents?? That isn't a fair statement is it? So that's how I feel. Today's morality no respect for elders none of that old morality which allows you to do what's done today. I didn't look like that on the field so I'm insulted it is far away from founding and the title should be redacted so you can call it whatever that is because it doesn't represent that foundation in that manner of performance. Not represented by the church condemn by military organizations that upheld it. Well this is better then I guess you say. You would rather march with the demon organization that wants to join DCI? Interesting!!

• 1 year later...

Electronics, mics (and as Leroy Jethro Gibbs says, "too much yabba-yabba 😄), weird shows, and costing more $$$ to participate in than travel soccer.

On 2/6/2020 at 8:44 AM, buster gazzara said:

drum & bugle corps died when there were no more bugles, when marching became dancing, when uniforms became costumes, when band people who were jealous of our precision and discipline and our corps spirit slowly but surely wormed their way in, when members started wearing leotards & make-up, when drumline& hornline instructors became staff, when marching and maneuvering was no longer a caption  , when corps members were no longer  from the town or city in the title of their corps names and we all grew up together and were/ are brothers and sisters for life, when we would defend the honor of our beloved corps both on and off the field, when judges were all over us on the field looking for the slightest mistake not just giving opinions, when a corps could start the season on the bottom and work it's way to the top and not be SLOTTED, when corps members stayed corps members for life and not jumping from one corps to another. Trumpets, tubas, now slide trombones, electronic synthesizers, props, singing, what the hell is next? look i'm not questioning the musical artistic talent of the people involved in what is loosely called drum corps. It;s simply not drum & bugle corps. and the letters D. C.I . to me do not stand for Drum Corps International. they stand for Dance Company INTERNATIONAL. And they are not Drum Corps- They are BRASS BANDS,period! You know what bothers me most is why couldn't they leave it alone and let it keep progressing along as it was? When i listen to the incredible shows that the corps like The Brassmen , The Santa Clara Vanaguard, Chicago, Garfield, The Blue Devils, and so many more put on the field i'm at a loss at why anyone would mess that up. I would put the talent of the top Drum & Bugle Corps from the 70's-80's& 90's against anything in modern so called drum-corps today. Can anyone out there remember the incredible precision of a twelve plus rifle line? The entire Guard in total perfect movement, not jumping and prancing around. Drumlines playing incredibly difficult books not just continuous 32nd note rolls and mile high double stops by 16 snares for visual effect? And the hornlines back then (all bugles) were more powerful and could go toe to toe with anything out there today! There's more that was lost with the death of Drum& Bugle Corps! probably the worst is that these kids don't hang together like we did. I was in one of the oldest Corps . Still active today. But the young folks in the corps now come from all over the country, the world actually. They don't hang together all year long like we did. They work extremely hard during the season together,, then it's off to school til next year and maybe even another Corps because it has a better chance of winning. Lastly i want to say that in no way did i mean to be insulting. my point is simply that Drum& Bugle Corps died a long time ago. And to anyone who marched in Drum& Bugle Corps back in my day,(60's-70's),  the attitude was the same as a boxer   about an opponent in the ring, that's how i(we) felt about the Corps we were competing against  on the field. But there was always respect and the knowledge that we were part of something quite special.DRUM & BUGLE CORPS. It was an honor ! So no, Drum & Bugle Corps did not evolve,it died a long time ago!

In the immortal words of the great Shooter McGavin, "Jesus, go back to your shanties."

On 3/13/2020 at 8:49 PM, MikeD said:

Moderator hat:

Please refrain from making personal attacks on other posters who may disagree with your point of view.

Everybody has a POV, and they should be treated with respect.

Hey MikeD - long time poster first time caller...

If there are going to be people in this thread calling the members of the current activity "fairies" on this board then I would say anything goes. In no way should a person be allowed to post that, yet it is in this thread.

I'd call "making personal attacks on other posters" way way WAY less important than hate speech against the entire membership of DCI, my dude. 

Delete this if I'm wrong, I won't be mad.

On 3/11/2020 at 12:37 AM, LONGGONE said:

I don't think that's Drum and Bugle Corps. D&BC is an accoutrement to a soldier. You had to want to be a soldier I guess, not a fairy. I understand that isn't fair to the children but a......... You know when you get into the service and D&BC for real certainly you will not be fairy dancing and "men in tights"!!??

Quoted reference for my above post.

Personally, I call for this thread to be deleted.

Edited by Lead
  • Like 1