The Death of Drum Corps

Drum and Bugle corps has NOT died!!! It has evolved and evolved over the past 50+ years to what it is today.

Keith, the rational part of my brain tends to agree with you, but the emotional part tend to scream louder and drown it out anyways. It would be easy to say that for me, drum corps as I fell in love with it died out with the introduction of electronics and amplified narration. But truly, it began losing its appeal when B-flat horns were introduced and there was a subtle, but noticeable, difference in the sound.

Maybe it's because I've spent so much of my life around band, but the reason I loved drum corps was for its differences from band, not its similarities. Now that corps has essentially merged with marching band, the differences are pretty much non-existent, and they are more or less interchangeable. For that reason, I'm having a hard time getting psyched up the way I used to. I can still admire the performances, but they don't resonate with me emotionally the way corps of "yesteryear" (see "Legacy" thread) did.

Edited by byline
  • Like 1

We have some interesting and "spirited" conversations on the Cavalier Alumni forum about when drum corps stopped being drum corps. For some it was when bugles went from G to B flat. Some when sops turned into trumpets. Some when guards stopped marching and started dancing. For some it hasn't happened yet until the rules change to allow woodwinds (it's coming, trust me)

When did it stop for you?

For me, honestly, it was finally this year with the rules changes (i.e. keyboards, guitars and the mic'ing of the horns, etc.) We are now in a age of drum corps being a Super Bowl half time show.

Why doesn't it surprise me to find this in the 'old guy' section? I'd be interested to talk to VFW/AL guys and see what they have to say about D&BC's and DCI. Might be an interesting conversation, hmm???

I believe drum corps died for many people along the way since 1972.

It's pretty irrelevent as to why it happened.

What's more important is that drum and bugle corps was dying before 1972. Corps were folding before DCI. Audiences for some events were dwindling before DCI.

I guess what's more relevant is when did the drum corps experience begin for you? When was it born? For some it was the 1950s or 60s, for some it was later, for some, it was a couple months ago.

Can we just stop with the negativity and look for opportunities to introduce others to what we love? And it doesn't even have to be a DCI or DCA show. It can be old tapes or DVDs of shows when you marched.

I don't know. Can't we at least have a great wake before the funeral?

DC was dying before the DC's took over--well put. I'd say they've done alright. Not perfect, but pretty good. Has it changed? Yeah. Back when tu-tu's and pliet's were considered sissy, and most of you marched high-step mark time, most of what is being done even by brass/percussion members was totally ridiculous. Musicians play in the pit (concert hall), ballerinas do 'artsy-fartsy' crap on stage. It changed.

Most of the negativity, I suspect, traces from those old, old guys that were military. When DCI started, I imagine those guys just blasted everyone in the activity that they themselves had built. That attitude just carried over into the former corps members and was instilled into early DCI members such that, somehow, we've just all been 'taught' that OUR era was the truly great era and everything--and everyone--that followed "wasn't Drum Corps."

Nice. So in essence, you can't help yourselves--you were ruined before you aged out and now you're just stuck in your ways. Happy to have you around, though!

I motion that kindergarten rules go into effect on this topic immediately...if you can't say nothin' nice...

It's not dead. Just resting.

It's pining for the fjords

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H6DSoqZz_s

• Like 1

Most of the negativity, I suspect, traces from those old, old guys that were military. When DCI started, I imagine those guys just blasted everyone in the activity that they themselves had built. That attitude just carried over into the former corps members and was instilled into early DCI members such that, somehow, we've just all been 'taught' that OUR era was the truly great era and everything--and everyone--that followed "wasn't Drum Corps."

The Year Drum Corps died was 1971, before DCI, according to a t-shirt. Bayonne was not Drum Corps when they donned the banana unis in 76 to some. The director of a small Garden State Circuit corps I taught said he'd trade the entire timpani line for one good rudimental bass player.

Agreed that performance levels are better than ever Mike.

I'm having a tough time feeling the same way about show designs though.

Certainly they are intricate and well thought out but they don't reach the audience on an emotional level. I think that current day desings are lacking.

Drum corps has not died...show designs and performance levels are better than ever...as has been the case in each generation.

It's not dead. Far from it.

Yes, the show designs are much different than what we grew up with, as were OUR show designs to our predecessors from the 60s & 70s.

But the trend appears to be shifting back toward more entertaining, fan-friendly, and musically oriented shows, if this past season is any indication.

I was totally entertained at DCI EAST last July!

And if it's still not your cup of tea...there's always DCA, or Alumni Corps. Nobody is forcing you to watch a DCI Competition!

But, the bottom line is this...

These kids in DCI today are:

1) Breaking their butts to perform their shows...just as we did.

2) Investing a lot of time, and money into the activity that THEY love...an activity that WE loved, when we were kids.

3) Having the time of their lives, connecting with each other, and living the DREAM...just as we did.

And, finally...

4) Performing and executing at a level that we could only DREAM about back in our heyday!!!

I don't agree with many of the rule changes, but, you know what? Everything must change. ($1 to Stevie Wonder)

But, more importantly...

I ask that everyone please back off from all of the criticism, and negativity...

The world already has WAY too much of that, and these kids, OUR kids, and our friends' kids... deserve better!!!

We all know that OUR world (of drum corps), is full of magic, and is a welcome respite from much of the negativity that we are all confronted by, far too frequently during our everyday lives.

Come on, we're all family. (We knew that when we were kids). We all share the same positive, "can do" attitude that brought us all together in the first place!

Let's leave these fine, talented, and dedicated young men and women alone to enjoy the same rush that we did!!!

Let's leave the negativity out in the real world, where the "mortals" duke it out!!! (Come on...you KNOW that we're a very different breed of human being than the rest of the world! Not better, mind you, but we are very different!!!)

Here's to a phenomenal season for all corps, at every level, in 2008!!!

Thanks for letting me rant a little.

Edited by overthehillDM

1999. Oddly enough my rookie year. I marched Div 3 and loved it. Playing for the first time in front of a crowd, it was trial by fire, but by the end of the season, I felt like a vet lol. The last div1 show I had seen was 93 Star, and that was on tape. I was too young to appreciate the insanity, and I'll admitt even today, that while techincaly one of the best shows, I still tend to fall asleep. 1999 was and still is the best year in drum corps for me, people in my age group hail 95, or 96, but Madison at home in Camp Randall jumping 2 spots in finals with "Jesus Christ Superstar" and probibly the Blue Devils most impressive line to date (IMO) their wasn't a boring corps on the field, I didn't care about Bflat or G horns (still don't) every hornline blew your face off, and every drumline threw down like it was the last ime they'd ever play. Even the Cadets with "The big Apple" (taxi!!). Best tenor line and mello section ever. Cavie's and they're wondefull drill, I don't care if you think it's easy, or you don't like linear drill. It's fun to watch, and they do it well. I was was entertained, I didn't care who won, or tied, or who played what drum supplier. Dynasty was an upstart percussion company (yes I'm aware they made horns for a long time) and you can whine that they don't sound as good as the 900 pound Pearl tenors, or whatnot. but 3 corps used Dynasy in 99 (I was in one of them). Now just about everyone does. I marched 2 more years, and aged out early entirely dissapointed in the activity, 00-01 left me bored, and I aged out early. I've marched senior corps, and loved it. But nothing will compare to sitting in the stands (freezing) in Madison. Maybe it was because it was my rookie year and I got bored, or maybe it was the last year anyone put something worth watching on the field. I'd take the last place Div 3 corps that year then anything that's been put out sence. IMO.

Although I don't agree with the rule changes and amps etc.

The product on the field is far better than years ago.

Kids today are far better players than before.

I have this discussion with my parents and friends that they marched with and tell them that any corps from 35 years ago that won DCI or even VFW or American Legion contest would have trouble cracking the top 12 today.

Like it or not but kids today could learn a corps show from back then in 2 weeks and 2 weeks after that would be playing it better.

And this is from someone who has aged out 22 years ago.

I just think as time goes by we tend to exagerate how thigs were from years ago.

The proof is in the practices. Go watch a corps practice and see how much better these kids perform.