The Death of Drum Corps

You're welcome at our place anytime. Just don't bring any of that "nearly frozen gnat's urine" that you Americans call beer!

Now now! Kokanee isn't the worlds greatest, either.

Now now! Kokanee isn't the worlds greatest, either.

No argument from me. Being English I'm a Bass or Worthington "E" man myself.

While driving into work today, I slipped in my tape from DCI finals, 1982. Yesterday I had discovered the Bridgemen website, and had spent much of my workday listening to their shows from the ‘70s and ‘80s, so I have been in a mood for old time drum corps. What I noticed as I drove, was the crowd response for the Cavaliers. Here was an 11th place corps, but as they wind up for the push in “Softly as I Leave You” the crowd is going crazy! I mean, you can practically hear the flying babies hitting the artificial turf!

The next corps on the tape is Garfield Cadets. 1982 was the year they played “Rocky Point Holiday” and Gershwin’s “Concerto in F”, with that amazing drill, like nothing ever seen before. They gave an incredible performance, and jumped 2 places from prelims to finals to finish 3rd. But even though there was a huge East coast presence, the crowd response (to my ears) did not match that of the Cavaliers, and it got me to wondering why. I have a theory.

So what happened in 1982?

uncle z was about to wind up his long and storied drum corps career........the audience was just giving me my props. :tongue:

Note that my shortcomings are apparently too great to score me the same deal...

Oh well, I've got 285 folks that'll at least put up with me...

...well, most of 'em anyway....

OK - some of them just barely tolerate me.....

...Shoot - I'd be willing to bet I have one or two friends somewhere...

....I think my Mom loves me...

I once read, "If your mom says she loves you, don't ask why."

As much as I kid Kusankusho on here Mike, you can't get a better friend anywhere... :tongue::tongue::dancin:

Kusankusho and Boo: Together Again.

(See, I even gave him top billing.)

No argument from me. Being English I'm a Bass or Worthington "E" man myself.

Waddingtons 6X

Became too tipsy with a pint of Carlsberg special in Enfield, England 1977, perhaps the jet lag. Now I know why the gentlemen raised their eyebrows. Our British chaperone introduced our instructional staff to Guinness for medicinal purposes only. She had a wonderful time visiting her home. :tongue:

Must get back on topic...

Became too tipsy with a pint of Carlsberg special in Enfield, England 1977, perhaps the jet lag. Now I know why the gentlemen raised their eyebrows. Our British chaperone introduced our instructional staff to Guinness for medicinal purposes only. She had a wonderful time visiting her home. :tongue:

Must get back on topic...

Carlsberg Special Brew... my head hurts just thinking about it.

Let me tell you 3 words that should never go together: Lebanese Industrial Whiskey. :tongue:

Think kerosene with a carmel color.