Spartans and Surf

Surf v Spartans  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have a better season this summer?

• Jersey Surf
    • The Spartans
    • Neither

Who will have a better summer? I'm not talking placement wise because with 2 and 3 being combined, it's anyone's game this year. I do want to know who you think will be more entertaining, etc.

I know Spartans are doing Metals this summer.

I've heard rumor that the Surf is doing something really cool for their 18th season. Rumor has it that it's based on more modern songs... Hmm...

Back on track though. I'm thinking the Surf will have the better season, especially after being so close in '07. But with both being granted World Class status for '09, who knows what will happen? It's going to be a competitive season, that's for sure!

What do you guys think and why?

Edited by malletrockr12

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to clarify,

Participation Review Committee – Chairperson Mark Stasa, reported on the petitions of the Spartans and Jersey Surf corps, both of which have formally requested evaluation in support of their applications for the achievement of World Class status starting with the 2009 season. After interviews and on-site visits with both organizations, the committee unanimously recommended both organizations for World Class membership. The board is expected to review the recommendation and rule in September.

They haven't been granted status yet, only recommended, though I can't se either organization not being awarded world class status.

As far as the question is concerned, a good season is defined by only those who participate in it. I only hope that members of both organizations have an awesome season this year.

Who will have the better show? I don't know, I haven't seen either of them yet.

just to clarify,

They haven't been granted status yet, only recommended, though I can't se either organization not being awarded world class status.

As far as the question is concerned, a good season is defined by only those who participate in it. I only hope that members of both organizations have an awesome season this year.

Who will have the better show? I don't know, I haven't seen either of them yet.

Good point. However, I can definitely see both competing in World Class. This past year their shows were, in my opinion, much harder than most other Div II shows and in some cases better than some Div I shows. I think the Surf has been around long enough to know what's going on and I believe Spartans could pull off World.

This past year their shows were, in my opinion, much harder than most other Div II shows and in some cases better than some Div I shows.

I was thinking more along the lines of better than a LOT of Div I shows.

This is absolutely astonishing. I guess it's not enough for DCPers to completely de-face a thread designed to aid the Spartans in recruiting this year. It's obvious from the posts in the closed thread how the frequent users of this site feel about either corps. Comparing these two with the information known now is beginning to look like a joke. This is just a little too much. Good job pushing it over the edge.

This is absolutely astonishing. I guess it's not enough for DCPers to completely de-face a thread designed to aid the Spartans in recruiting this year. It's obvious from the posts in the closed thread how the frequent users of this site feel about either corps. Comparing these two with the information known now is beginning to look like a joke. This is just a little too much. Good job pushing it over the edge.

I'm a huge fan of the Spartans, and I expect to see them do well this year, regardless of their size. They have plenty of time to recruit before the summer, and I really don't think that a weak winter is that big of a deal. Some people swear that the winter is essential to build a technique program, but the reality is that unless you're reinforcing it everyday, it doesn't really matter. That's why corps like cadets, BD, etc that sound awesome in August still sound like complete garbage in May. All of that said, DCP is not exactly a great place to recruit. People on this forum who are eligible to march probably already know where they are going. The Spartans would do well to try to get into their local schools. Good luck Spartans, I look forward to seeing you in August!

Edited by goldingna

I was just asking a simple question. I don't have a preference to either corps, they are just the two most competitive corps in open class as of now. I have a friend who marches Jersey Surf who says they don't hate the Spartans, it is just way more fun to have someone who can take close competition well. Spartans are a good corps and what's the point in even marching this summer if the show is finished by April? No matter how bad the winter months are, the real improvement comes when events actually start and there is feedback on the show from the audience and the judges. There's still time for the Spartans and I'm not asking based on who will do better this season based on the camps so far, but based on the last year and the show concepts, etc.