• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be there!

Reminder for tonight!

Title: SoCal Alumni & Friends Horn Rehearsal

Date: Monday March 17th, 2008

Time: 7:00 - 9:00 P.M.

Repeats: The event repeats every other week.

Street: 5400 Cochran Street

City State Zip: Simi Valley, CA 93063

Notes: BYOH (Bring Your own horn)

============ ========= ========= ========= ========= =======

From the East (San Fernando Valley)...

From the 405 (San Diego) Freeway or the 5 (Golden State) Freeway, take the 118 (Ronald Reagan) Freeway west to the Yosemite Avenue Exit and turn left. Proceed to Cochran Street, turn right; proceed to Stow Street (1 block). The school is on the southwest corner of Cochran and Stow (5400 Cochran Street).

From the West...

From the 101 (Ventura) Freeway, take the 23 (Fillmore) Freeway north to the 118 (Ronald Reagan) Freeway east. Exit at Stearns Street and turn right. Proceed to Cochran Street and turn left. The school will be a half block down on your right.

Parking: Use the parking lot that is on the corner of Cochran and Stow. You can turn in to the lot off of Cochran or turn south on Stow and turn in to the lot at the opening. The band room is on the left when you enter the main walkway. We'll have signs and/or greeters. It's not hard to find.

I'll be there!

Hey Dave, let me know how it rolls!! Wish I could be there. By the time I get there, it will be 10 o'clock.

Hey Dave, let me know how it rolls!! Wish I could be there. By the time I get there, it will be 10 o'clock.

I guess I don't have to let you know how it went, since you were there! :thumbup:

Carl Allison's recap from last night:

Last night we had yet another rehearsal at Simi Valley High School. You might ask, "How can it be yet another..., wasn't this the first SoCal Alumni rehearsal?" Yes it was our first Alumni SoCal horn rehearsal, but 28 years ago we had rehearsal at simi HS before we started meeting regularly and Cal State Northridge. So, once again history repeats itself.

The evening opened up with a buzz of excitement as we unloaded several spare horns from trucks and jeeps. Thanks to Al, Charlie, Ron, Dave and Tony we had and ample supply of horns. We even had a few flugel bugles.

Everyone was welcomed and thanked for taking time to come to rehearsal. We then went around the room and each person introduced themselves and said which years they marched. We had 14 horn players present.

4 Sopranos

2 Mellophones

1 Contra

7 Baritones

Included in this list were three Alumni guest horn players. Charlie Groh (VK, Kingsmen, Impulse) on contra, and two baritones Ron Zeilinger (VK, Kingsmen, Impulse) and Kevin Monahan (Santa Clara Vanguard, Kingsmen). The guard was represented by Martha who took photos, the drummers were represented by Bill Greenberg who shot video. There were several other horn players who are committed to playing in the line but either had another playing gig last night or distance makes it difficult for a weeknight.

We spent about ten minutes watching a DVD of Don Silva's welcome and John Zimny's opening comments made at the first Sacramento rehearsal. This was to bring everyone up to speed on how we will be approaching this Alumni project. After this we jumped into warm ups.

We spent about 20 minutes minutes doing warm up exercises , and did a bit of tuning before jumping into Ave Maria. All but two players in the line are playing on a regular basis. Some play in non drum groups and several play in SoCal Dream or Kingsmen Alumni Corps. We spent about a half hour on Ave Maria going through sections and then putting it all together. We took a few minutes for a chop break and passed out Bellavia.

We spent a considerable amount of time on Bellavia. Much kudos goes out to Charlie Groh for supplying the anchor on the Contra part with that shiny new contra. We went through Bellavia as a whole so those unfamiliar with it could hear it and for the rest to dust off the cob webs. We then broke it down in sections, several went off to woodshed the parts. We brought it back together and played as ensemble to do a little work with timing and dynamics. The sopranos took turns on who would play the duet and who who played parts. On the last time through Bill Greenberg kept tempo so I could play along. Ron and I played the bari duet part.

We then went back to Ave Maria to cap off the evening. This was followed up by a warm down and mention of a couple of performance invites.

I heard it said several times, two hours is just not enough time.

We all packed up horns and several went for a bite to eat.

:thumbup:

I heard it said several times, two hours is just not enough time.

I heard that comment as well. I think they were having a blast, rust, cobwebs and all LOL It's like being home again after being away in a foreign country for a long time. At least that was the way I felt for me last year. You hear some idiot yell "Corps atten-hut" and your body twitches (at this age, that's about all you can do hahah) and you realize it was just someone clowing around. Even after all of these years, that kind of stuff is still in there somewhere.

And then closing down McDonalds, that is just so drum corps. (Not as impressive as it may sounds. That McDonalds closes at 10 and we got there maybe 9:40 :-)

The fact I drove up just so I could check out the last half hour of rehearsal should tell you the stupidity is back. LOL

Well, that sounds like it was a ton of fun. Wish I could've made it.

When's the next one?