"Stock charts" for drum corps

davidp

Can you do that? Seriously, would using only the brass parts, or combining some of the parts to get the full effect be "legal?" I just wonder about the legality of "arranging" an arrangement. There are a couple of band charts I wouldn't mind using for mini corps, but I wonder if if you can tailor them to suit the group. That's my whole reason for asking about this in the first place. If it's okay to use band charts for comps like MCA, or DCA I&E, then never mind; you may have solved my problem :grouphug: .

Can you do it? Sure, especially if you use Bb/F instrumentation, it is very possible. I KNOW that band directors, out of necessity, will have sections cover "cues" due to weaknesses in another section. There's little difference between that and covering a sax run with a middle horn voice or using a trumpet for a flute solo. You go with what you have.

As for performance permission, I'd contact the publisher of the arrangement and secure permission. Some arrangements have the rights for public performance reserved, others do not. Fees are fees and quite honestly, unless the fee is absurdly high, it is still cheaper than paying for custom arrangements - which will require performance fees anyway. Besides, getting permission to arrange from some composers is next to impossible. ( I understand a corps out west had quite a time landing "Tommy".)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone for your input. I am sure that once we get started, we will glean from all sources, be they stock band charts or custom arrangements (paying all the necessary fees, of course). I appreciate all of the comments. Thanks again.

Trying not to come off as sounding snide.

The problem with $8 to $50 is that there's no incentive for the writer to keep writing. Maybe four groups would buy the same chart. That's a whopping $200 at best. Then of course there's cost for permission to arrange and then the licensing fee for selling the arrangement more than once.

A number of arrangers out there do sell their arrangements that corps have already performed, but then a group would run the risk of copying the corps that played it first.

And if that's a John Williams piece you're going to get about 1 half note and you're done!