USAF Drum and Bugle Corps

Back in the early 60's (prior to 1963), I got to hear a recording of the Air Force D&B Corps. Needless to say, I was very impressed. It was my understanding that there were quite a few top names in that corps. Tommy Martin included. I can't be totally sure because it was a long time ago. All I remember is that it was one heck of a record.

Does anyone have any history on this corps? Like outstanding names in the ranks, horn/drum instructors etc? I think they were based out of Washington, DC., not the academy in Colorado.

Back in the early 60's (prior to 1963), I got to hear a recording of the Air Force D&B Corps. Needless to say, I was very impressed. It was my understanding that there were quite a few top names in that corps. Tommy Martin included. I can't be totally sure because it was a long time ago. All I remember is that it was one heck of a record.

Does anyone have any history on this corps? Like outstanding names in the ranks, horn/drum instructors etc? I think they were based out of Washington, DC., not the academy in Colorado.

Bolling Field Washington, DC.... Some of them get together withe Lancers now and then as at least two are currently with the Lancers. :tongue:

Here's the webbie...

http://usafdrumcorps.us/history1.htm

At that time '62/'63 the corps was under the baton of SSGT Truman Crawford. It included many names that either had been or went on to be very involved in drum & bugle corps. I was privileged to have marched with many of them in Archie, such as Dick Filkins, Billy Kaufmann, Jimmy Dinkins, Bill Mojica and Ray Eyler, just to name a few.

I would suggest that on a scale of 1 to 10 its talent level was an 11.

J

Edited by Jimbalaya

At that time '62/'63 the corps was under the baton of SSGT Truman Crawford. It included many names that either had been or went on to be very involved in drum & bugle corps. I was privileged to have marched with many of them in Archie, such as Dick Filkins, Billy Kaufmann, Jimmy Dinkins, Bill Mojica and Ray Eyler, just to name a few.

I would suggest that on a scale of 1 to 10 its talent level was an 11.

J

I would say they were an 11 on a bad day.

John Flowers, Nick Biscotti and Whitey Roberts were also members.

Oh yeah, let's not forget they had a (bag)pipes corps connected to the D&BC.

OK, gonna dig out my CDs tomorrow to listen.... :tongue:

I believe it may have been the late 60's when Dr. Keith Markey wrote and arranged for the Air Force Drum & Bugle Corps. In 1978, Keith and I made a valiant attempt at starting a corps in Boulder, CO...the Voice of the Rockies. Never panned out.

I believe it may have been the late 60's when Dr. Keith Markey wrote and arranged for the Air Force Drum & Bugle Corps. In 1978, Keith and I made a valiant attempt at starting a corps in Boulder, CO...the Voice of the Rockies. Never panned out.

You're correct. Markey arranged for the Academy corps in the mid - late 60s. When THE USAF Drum Corp was disbanded in '64 a number of them were reassigned to the Academy finish their enlistment. That corps continues but is now composed of cadets rather than enlisted.

Also...two of the finest drummers in the Bolling corps: Bob Zarfoss from York, taught York White Roses Jr., Hanover Lancers and Westshormen-Bonnie Scots and John Bosworth, from Williamsport, PA, became lead drum of the Pipe Band, founded American Originals and now works with Top Secret and is forming a "corps" for the Sultan of Oman. Other York drummers: Drum corps - Jim Flinchbaugh, Eric Landis, Bob Hoffheins, ___ Reisinger, Tom Gibbs, Rod Burg, Steve Schrum, Steve Young (Pipe Band drummer), horn men - Ken Yohe, K.B. Oiler, Jan Resnick among others.

A few other familiar horn players were (the late) Harold "Skip" Groff and Bill Taberling, both well-known arrangers into the 70s and the very much alive Ricardo Gabriel (brother of the band conductor/commander Arnald). There are many other notable USAF players who later went on to profoundly effect the drum corps AND pipe band worlds. Both were "state of the art."

Last year DVDs were produced for the Alumni reunion in 2007 which complied some old corps performances and informal films taken mostly by members along with some more recent (2002) Pipe Band performances. A real piece of history.

Thanks for plugging the Web site, Jim. See ya this spring.

Steve

Thanks for plugging the Web site, Jim. See ya this spring.

Steve

LOL anytime Steve, I missed the Lancer/USAF get together at Gettysburg last year but bought the CDs from Bob Z when I had the chance. I should go back to the website to look for any updates and to check on that DVD.

See you then...

Edited by JimF-3rdBari