USAF Drum and Bugle Corps

For those young 'uns who don't know, the Gabriel brothers had a huge impact on the Syracuse Brigadiers ... the central NY musical brain trust that included the Gabriel brothers expanded to include Truman Crawford and Corky Fabrizio.

Brad Longdo left Cahoes Grenadiers and took over Brigadiers as all four of these guys went into the service.

The impact of the USAF and the Marine Drum Corps (later on) on all of drum corps was/is profound..

Edited by TomPeashey

For those young 'uns who don't know, the Gabriel brothers had a huge impact on the Syracuse Brigadiers ... the central NY musical brain trust that included the Gabriel brothers expanded to include Truman Crawford and Corky Fabrizio.

Brad Longdo left Cahoes Grenadiers and took over Brigadiers as all four of these guys went into the service.

The impact of the USAF and the Marine Drum Corps (later on) on all of drum corps was/is profound..

Couple of other USAF players through the years: John Simpson (Sky), Johnny Grass (Sky), Joey Arioso (Sky), Al Ruaute (Hurcs), Paul Mayer (Hurcs), Bob Morvak (Hurcs) ... not sure if Bobby Gaff (Yankee Rebels) was there in 66-67 along with grass ... many other quality players ...

:-)

• Like 1

That USAF corps is one of the all-time legends of drum corps...... unbelievable amount of talent in those ranks over the years!

Fran

Yes Fran, and if Truman is to be believed, their behind the scenes action was quite astonishing too... and almost made for several international incidents... Any of you who were there care to share some of them? Truman said he would tell me some of the stories but he would have to "shoot me" after...

Tom- If Col. Crawford's stories about the Air Force drum corps are anything like some of the things I saw and heard in the Marine drum corps....well yeah, he would have to shoot you!!! :tongue:

Here's just a couple- St. Patty's Day 1973 in Cincinnati. "Someone" in the Marine D&B Corps drove a golf cart into the hotel swimming pool. The police arrived and threatened to jail the entire group. We fished the cart out, and all was forgiven.

Maui, Hawaii in 1974- The Marine Captain who piloted the helicopter from Oahu, was kidnapped, and locked in a shed for hours. The locals took this upon themselves, because they wanted the corps to stay and party. The Captain was NOT amused! :thumbup:

hi Mark... how goes it?

are you suggesting that members of the Commandant's own would party and even take spirits? My goodness... and I thought you were all saints... :tongue:

keep well old friend

Tom

Tom- Not the Commandant's Own... The St. Patrick's Day fiasco was with the 2nd Div. D&B from Camp LeJeune. The kidnapping was with the 1st Marine Brigade D&B from Kaneohe, Hawaii. Spirits? Yes, in abundance, and whenever possible. Saints? I don't believe so... :tongue:

I believe it may have been the late 60's when Dr. Keith Markey wrote and arranged for the Air Force Drum & Bugle Corps. In 1978, Keith and I made a valiant attempt at starting a corps in Boulder, CO...the Voice of the Rockies. Never panned out.

Hey Mark are you still in the Front Range area? If you are why not come check out High Country Brass, We have a ton of talent but can always use a veteran with tons of experience. THe website is highcountrybrass.org

highcountrymike- Sorry buddy...it'd be a heck of a commute back and forth from Syracuse, NY to the Rocky Mtn. region... :worthy:

Truman Crawford was brass arranger, director and drum major.

Rodney Goodheart - drum instructor

Ray Eiler

Tommy Martin

Nick Biscotte

Ricardo(Gabe) Gabrial

Bob Zarfoss. To name a few.

The Air Force D&b were based at Bolling Air Force base Washington DC.

I was born at the hospital there.The planes actually took off over the hospital, on that base.

From the pictures I've seen In Dad's scrap book, it looks like they had a blast. LOL

My father was quite a carector himself. I remember many an evening sitting at the top of the stairs

in my jammies peeking at Dad and the guys listening to Dads extensive record collection.

I can still remember how delicately he'd handle his albums.

Oh but they had such a loud, fun time all those evenings. And weekends. Whenever they were in town, that is.

The D&b traveled all over the world. Constantly traveling.

Dad(Truman) began performing with the D&B during the Eisenhower administration, right out of high school.

They saw how talented he was and he began arranging their music.

For myself. Being born into such a family. With drum corps being an extended family, my memories go way back to when I was a toddler.

Mostly flashes but quite clear.

But oh the colorful stories that can't be told. LOL In public.

God how I love drum corps!

It was because of his long absences with the D&B,that by the time he got out of the Air Force, she'd laid down the law.

We do it as a family, from now on! We lived like gypsy's, after we left DC to go live in Chicago.

The rest is history.