USAF Drum and Bugle Corps

Cindy, where in the DC area was the base located?

Heh thought of that coming home from Hanover Sunday and it was too late to ask Bob Z. :w00t:

Jeez and my dad spent a bunch of his Army time with the Army Corps of Engineers over a ways in Ft Belvoir, VA. :thumbup:

Edit: Never mind, just found a map thanks to Google. Right across the Potomac from National (aka Ronald Reagan) Airport. Dang, I've been close to there a bunch of times without even realizing it. :w00t:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Yes Fran, and if Truman is to be believed, their behind the scenes action was quite astonishing too... and almost made for several international incidents... Any of you who were there care to share some of them? Truman said he would tell me some of the stories but he would have to "shoot me" after...

I wish I wasn't sworn to secrecy! I can tell ya some wild stories.

I really wish a biography could be written about Dad.

To much unmentionable stuff would have to be left out tho. Or would it? LOL

What's the statute of limitations on drum corps secrets? LOL

Cindy,

Here's a Truman story you might appreciate. You know how close he and Corky Fabrizio were - a bit of healthy competition there for sure...

In 1972, Corky arranged "Battle Hymn" for the Crusaders. We had a great corps that year. As for the arrangement (jazzed up version), let's just say there were a lot of Royal Air's arrangement that found their way into Corky's arrangement.

Back then, each corps would get to do a run through on the contest field... We were in Waverly, NY and doing our run through... Out of concert was battle hymn... we were hot... it was great... after the final push there was a moment of silence at the end of the tune...

Suddenly, from near the press box came a loud and very upset sounding scream...

"F...........K you Fabrizio"

Standing tall at the top of the stands was Truman Crawford... clearly letting his friend know what he thinks of plagerism... Of course, Corky just put on a broad smile and waved... at least we played it well...

Cindy,

Here's a Truman story you might appreciate. You know how close he and Corky Fabrizio were - a bit of healthy competition there for sure...

In 1972, Corky arranged "Battle Hymn" for the Crusaders. We had a great corps that year. As for the arrangement (jazzed up version), let's just say there were a lot of Royal Air's arrangement that found their way into Corky's arrangement.

Back then, each corps would get to do a run through on the contest field... We were in Waverly, NY and doing our run through... Out of concert was battle hymn... we were hot... it was great... after the final push there was a moment of silence at the end of the tune...

Standing tall at the top of the stands was Truman Crawford... clearly letting his friend know what he thinks of plagerism... Of course, Corky just put on a broad smile and waved... at least we played it well...

LOL

I love that story!

Dad was such a good sport.

I always feel so proud of him, when I hear stories like that.

Cindy, where in the DC area was the base located?

Heh thought of that coming home from Hanover Sunday and it was too late to ask Bob Z. :tongue:

Jeez and my dad spent a bunch of his Army time with the Army Corps of Engineers over a ways in Ft Belvoir, VA. :withstupid:

Edit: Never mind, just found a map thanks to Google. Right across the Potomac from National (aka Ronald Reagan) Airport. Dang, I've been close to there a bunch of times without even realizing it. :rock:

route 295.

Down the river from the navy yard. Opposite side of river.

Most acknowledge John Dowlan (Archie, Reilly? and others, also came up with backsticking ) as "the" drum instructor; Rod may have followed him in that role. I'll check on that and post a correction if appropriate.

Cindy,

tom i remember that but i thought it was hershey.........the 1st show of the year. i could be wrong but we practiced outside the stadium all afternoon. it was great how tru got mad in a fun way.

ah well, at my age - it could very well have been Hershey... but the remainder of the details are accurate... Still seems to me it was Waverly, but what the hey...

• 2 weeks later...

I hope my weekend is open the next time they have a reunion.

The last few years, I've had obligations with other corps.

It would be cool to go up and show them what I've accomplished, in so short a time.

This is my 4th season playing horn.

Time flies, when your having the time of your life. LOL

Well, you know this, whoever you're marching with, a tall, thin, lanky guy is smiling down on you...