USAF Drum and Bugle Corps

route 295 South to rt. 395. You'll go over the river and it's under the overpass. You just get off as soon as you get on 395.

Oops, missed thanking you the first time you posted this. :crazy: So thank you now. :worthy:

Irony is after the St Ptricks Day parade in York one of the new members and I were discussing routes that avoid the DC Beltway and all x95 routes that feed off that mess. :thumbup:

Double irony is I got to see three USAF Alumni at the parade. :worthy:

And sky I'm checking some stuff I have, hope to send a PM by end of the week.

Oops, missed thanking you the first time you posted this. :wub: So thank you now. :ninja:

Irony is after the St Ptricks Day parade in York one of the new members and I were discussing routes that avoid the DC Beltway and all x95 routes that feed off that mess. :ninja:

Double irony is I got to see three USAF Alumni at the parade. :ninja:

And sky I'm checking some stuff I have, hope to send a PM by end of the week.

Hey, Jim

Good to see you on Saturday. You guys (Lancers) sounded great!

About your driving/directions discussion...Sorry to tell you that, from PA, there is NO way to easily avoid the _95s to get to Bolling! When I was making those trips, the most direct (actually, the only) way was to exit the Balti beltway onto the BW Parkway (295); that takes you directly to the base which is on your right as you pass by DC. I also noticed that the name of the street to the main gate has been changed to Martin Luther King. (VIPs D&BC were from nearby Anacostia/Suitland area.)

As you noted, the base is directly across the Potomac from Reagan National Airport. Can you imagine that until the early 60s, there were also active flightlines at Bolling AND at the adjacent Anacostia Naval Air Station!!!! Must have been like a war zone. By the mid-60s, all the Bolling-related flights flew out of Andrews AFB further East near the beltway. Bolling was a cool, small base; no saluting required since there were more officers than enlisted. I doubt you could get onto Bolling nowadays given the heightened security.

Look forward to hearing from you.

SKY

Edited by sky

• 2 weeks later...
I believe it may have been the late 60's when Dr. Keith Markey wrote and arranged for the Air Force Drum & Bugle Corps. In 1978, Keith and I made a valiant attempt at starting a corps in Boulder, CO...the Voice of the Rockies. Never panned out.

Keith also arranged for VK in 1969. IIRC, we might have been the only other corps to play "El Conquistador" besides the AF Academy corps. It was very cool to hear them play it at a comp in Anaheim sometime in the early 70's. Might even have been 73 when we resurrected it for our OTL.

RIP SSgt Keith Markey

Garry in Vegas

Keith also arranged for VK in 1969. IIRC, we might have been the only other corps to play "El Conquistador" besides the AF Academy corps. It was very cool to hear them play it at a comp in Anaheim sometime in the early 70's. Might even have been 73 when we resurrected it for our OTL.

RIP SSgt Keith Markey

Garry in Vegas

St. Lucy's first played "El Con" in 64-65 ... penned by the legendary George Rodriguez ... they ressurected it again in 68-69 with Sasso at the helm ...

:-)

St. Lucy's first played "El Con" in 64-65 ... penned by the legendary George Rodriguez ... they ressurected it again in 68-69 with Sasso at the helm ...

:-)

And yet another story is sparked by your wisdom of the activity.

In 1968 Sun was in New Orleans for the Nationals, as was St. Lucy's. Don't know if John Sasso had much time to spend with Lucy's down there, being with us most of the time, but they about tore the bejesus out of the joint. Manny Salort's opening solo in El Con was nothing short of spectacular. They were well in a class above the others. I seem to remember a rumor that the corps (St.L's) took a train down to N.O. and they flew in Manny at the last minute to play the solo. Don't know if thre's any fact to this, but maybe Andy can fill in the blanks. Not sure if Manny was with Sky at that time.

Andy? Batter up!

And yet another story is sparked by your wisdom of the activity.

In 1968 Sun was in New Orleans for the Nationals, as was St. Lucy's. Don't know if John Sasso had much time to spend with Lucy's down there, being with us most of the time, but they about tore the bejesus out of the joint. Manny Salort's opening solo in El Con was nothing short of spectacular. They were well in a class above the others. I seem to remember a rumor that the corps (St.L's) took a train down to N.O. and they flew in Manny at the last minute to play the solo. Don't know if thre's any fact to this, but maybe Andy can fill in the blanks. Not sure if Manny was with Sky at that time.

Andy? Batter up!

I'll have to ask around about the Manny story ... I'm pretty sure 68 was one of his "off" years with NY ... not sure about the train thing either ... a couple of guys in Sky's Alumni would know ... may have been NO in 68 or Atlanta in 69 ...

Andy

I'll have to ask around about the Manny story ... I'm pretty sure 68 was one of his "off" years with NY ... not sure about the train thing either ... a couple of guys in Sky's Alumni would know ... may have been NO in 68 or Atlanta in 69 ...

Andy

I had a couple of Staten Island pals marching with Lucys from '67-'69. They went to NO by bus. I remember them telling me about an altercation or two with some local rednecks when they stopped to eat. Apparently the locals wouldn't let the black guys dine with the rest of the corps. So after the orders started coming out, Jimmy Russo told the corps to load up the buses, they wouldn't eat where the whole corps wasn't welcome. Good for him.

Ray

It's so very curious how interconnected we all are in this activity. I first heard the Air Force Corps on a recording at John Sasso's home in 1963. It was that incredible "double show" LP made the previous summer in CT: John Simpson, Tommy Martin, charts by Truman...the whole bit. Being a seasoned 4-year corps veteran by that time, I thought I had heard it all, but here was John turning me on to what he called "the best drum corps on the planet."

A few years later, I was accompanying him to St. Lucy's rehearsals and working with the lower sops while Manny Salort tore it up with the leads on "Conqistador".

Sasso is one of the few instructors who can say he won 2 National Champoinships within a couple of hours. I heard 2 great soloists that night: Manny on the field and Ken Norman, leaning against a lamp post in the French Quarter, playing "Basin St. Blues". A little typsy by then, I asked him "Who's the best drum corps arranger?" His one-word reply: "Markey".

Ken Norman, leaning against a lamp post in the French Quarter, playing "Basin St. Blues". A little typsy by then, I asked him "Who's the best drum corps arranger?" His one-word reply: "Markey".

Ah yes ... in incomperable Keith Markey ... his final chart may well have been a ballad: Schindler's List, which he penned for Sky's Alumni while playing baritone for us ... the emotion put into that chart was truly incredible ... he said it was his tribute to Hy Dreitzer ... Grass talked into marching the 72 season with us somehow ... and he came home for what turned out to be his final farewell ...

Andy "remembering Markey's Mark" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko