Narrative to be crucial element behind Cadets 2008 program

Actually, you'd be surprised at the number of people that dont know what they are getting in to. Obviously, they saw or heard the show, but most people dont realize how volatile the situation (apparently) is. Fact is, unless you're a regular on the boards, or maybe saw QF in a theater, the average auditionee is probably going to make their decision one way or another regardless of the inclusion of voice.

Obviously, I am not qualified to put a percentage on this, but its just the vibe i get from being at local shows, at camps, and knowing a lot of people who tried out or thought about trying out.

Even IF they had no idea what they were getting into when they audition, there has to be some point where they know what the show is and what is going on in the show. They can choose to no longer paeticipate if they really dont like whats going on. Seriously, how many people going in to audition for a corps no absolutely nothing about the corps....except maybe those going into BDC or Colt Cadets...which is a totally different thing.

Even IF they had no idea what they were getting into when they audition, there has to be some point where they know what the show is and what is going on in the show. They can choose to no longer paeticipate if they really dont like whats going on. Seriously, how many people going in to audition for a corps no absolutely nothing about the corps....except maybe those going into BDC or Colt Cadets...which is a totally different thing.

Well one of the reasons they probably overlook those other elements is because The Cadets have won NINE FREAKIN CHAMPIONSHIPS, usually produce great shows, have an excellent staff, and have a history of bringing the crowd to their feet.

I did not deprive myself of their performance last year...the Cadets deprived me. You shouldn't have to ignore parts of a show to enjoy it....

Pish posh...The Cadets didn't deprive you of anything. The show was still great regardless of the annoying narration.

Finally somebody who's honest. If I had to read one more person who acted like the kids who join the Cadets are mindless automatons forced to do Hoppy's bidding, I was going to puke. Anybody who hasn't lived in a cave for the past 4 years knows exactly what they're getting into when they choose to march the Cadets. That said, withdrawing financial support is the best thing you can do to make your voice heard...certainly better than airing it on a message board.

I'm thinking the Cadets will surprise some people this year, though. People listening in the tunnels while getting nachos or whatever might just find themselves staying in their seats the next time the Cadets come on.

So - are you agreeing that it's OK to boo Cadets?

Maybe they can do another without the snares, and a few without the trumpets, and maybe one with no guard.

...because of course, the snares are just as dispensable as narration. :lookaround:

First of all, I never put a number on the amount of people who arent really involved in that. For one, you have the vets, who arent going to go anywhere nomatter what. As far as leaving in the middle of the season....seriously? Who's going to find out they made the corps of their dreams, but then decide to leave because they dont like part of (a smaller part of) the show design. Its one thing if you cant stand the music, your fellow corps members or the staff, but show design...who cares?

I'm not trying to paint these folks as ignorant and innocent little kids - I think a better viewpoint would be that they just dont care. IMHO, people in the middle of a marching season tend no have the same priorities as the people sitting on their butts and typing on message boards.

Pish posh...The Cadets didn't deprive you of anything. The show was still great regardless of the annoying narration.

Yes they did.

I tried hard to listen to the music. But everytime I started getting into the music, started feeling something and haveing an enmotional response they interupted it with talking. My thought process and emotional response were distracted and gone. I tried ignoring it but it was too prominant a part of the show. At the end of the show I felt frustrated I couldn't listen to and enjoy that great hornline.

As I don't think frustration and anger were the intended response the design team wanted, they failed to reach me and get the desired response.

Edited by shawn craig

Just my 2 cents. If you cannot convey what your show is about through the intednded medium of music and effect, voice will do nothing to help you. I saw the Cadets show last year 4 times and quite honestly they just don't get "IT" IMHO. Their show was like the perfect ice cream sundae then some d###### went and covered it with chocolate choking out all the good that was actually there.

Just my 2 cents. If you cannot convey what your show is about through the intednded medium of music and effect, voice will do nothing to help you. I saw the Cadets show last year 4 times and quite honestly they just don't get "IT" IMHO. Their show was like the perfect ice cream sundae then some d###### went and covered it with chocolate choking out all the good that was actually there.

You made one mistake in your post. You said that music and effect was the 'intended' medium, but in their case, voice was also their intended medium. Its fine to say you dont like narration, in fact im not a huge fan myself, but dont act like they added the narration after they wrote the show and realized that it didnt work. It's one package, take it or leave it.

First of all, I never put a number on the amount of people who arent really involved in that. For one, you have the vets, who arent going to go anywhere nomatter what. As far as leaving in the middle of the season....seriously? Who's going to find out they made the corps of their dreams, but then decide to leave because they dont like part of (a smaller part of) the show design. Its one thing if you cant stand the music, your fellow corps members or the staff, but show design...who cares?

I'm not trying to paint these folks as ignorant and innocent little kids - I think a better viewpoint would be that they just dont care. IMHO, people in the middle of a marching season tend no have the same priorities as the people sitting on their butts and typing on message boards.

I agree with you on this...I doubt many would quit in the middle of the season, but finding out the show design is not something you like during the winter months is another story. They do have the choice to not stay. You have to like the show you are performing too...along with the fellow members, staff etc...its part of the entire equation, imho. It would be hard to be in "corps of my dreams" but hate the show...not much of a dream. There are more things to consider then a potential ring on my finger at the end of the season.