2008: The Season of...

la mejor

So what is 2008 the season of...

We had horses in music and theme repeated constantly one season; we had Imogen Heap last year...

For those of you who have seen a good number of shows, what can we expect from this year's crop?

One trend I have noticed in the small amount of guards I have seen is the more slow and pretty type shows.

I admit I have not seen a lot of shows yet, but from what I have seen, there has not been a lot of "out of the box" creativity this season, just good old color guard shows (which is not bad either)

Any Thoughts??

Edited by la mejor

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From watching the regional in Salem this past weekend the song of the year is "The Moment I Said It" by Imogen Heap. 3 out of 35 shows used this music.

I am seeing lots of pretty shows and tribute shows. It's like 02 all over again (well at least in texas)

It's an Imogen Part 2 year as well. If I hear "Candlelight" one more time, I'm going to take my pen and jab it in my ear.

I guess I'm lucky. I only heard it once so far :-)

For our guard, it's the year of learning about colorguard! OMG. Sometimes I feel like I'm floundering working with so many kids who just don't get the whole colorguard thing. Haven't been in this position in years! Half my kids never spun before joining winterguard (nope, not even during marching band season)-- but if I wouldn't have taken them, i wouldn't have had enough kids to pull off a decent show, IMO. Sorry for venting.

But anyway, seems like the year of repeats to me-- repeated songs, repeated drill and work... or maybe I should say it's a "tribute to other colorguards" year?

From Central Florida...

Not much classical here, Three IW guards, none Classical.... NEi- fast and powerful, Knights - Mr. President... so pop? (best they've been imo) Fahrenheit - french.

Other than that, there are three SA guards here worth mentioning, Colonial High School - classical, but BEAUTIFUL, Lyman High School - tori amos-esque, not sure who the artist is, University High School - I think it's based on the movie Babel... really really good though.

It seems to be the year of pretty shows filled with hope (or at least feel good shows).

I do think that it's part of the collective mindset of people these days. with all that's going on right now in the world (and the fact that's in been going on for a while) it seems that as a whole people just decided to come out with pretty shows - it tapped into the mass subconscious and produced the shows we are seeing this year.

Later,

Mike

it tapped into the mass subconscious and produced the shows we are seeing this year.

i wish someone would "tap" into my mass subconscious! :grouphug: