2008: The Season of...

la mejor

while sonnor may now be synonymous with "pretty" soft sell style shows and i would not diminish their importance the honor of innovation of the "pretty show" should rightfully go to jeff namian and blessed sac for 1989's gordon lightfoot show.

i might also go back even further to 1979's "the pines of rome" as interpreted by the seattle imperials,design by stanley knaub.very light lryical and pretty!

jeff namian brought us "staging" vs "drill".

i might also acknowledge bill hardy's guardsmen regarding their "ballet" show from 1984.quite different for it's time and perhaps it too falls into the genre of "pretty shows".

everything old is new again!

Edited by dugg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course! Billy, Phyllis and I are all teaching Delazure together (IA)! Chrissy Drouin is helping too!

see ya there love!

Thanks Trish - now I'm blushing!!!!

Are you gonna be at the New Jersey regional?

later,

Mike

of course! Billy, Phyllis and I are all teaching Delazure together (IA)! Chrissy Drouin is helping too!

see ya there love!

Cool! I saw Darrell and Chrissy at the Salem regional. I really miss the whole gang!!!!!!

Later,

Mike

me too! we're gonna have to take a Brigs' guard alumni group shot!

if winter guard is theater [and i beleive it is] then where is the humor in today's activity?do we take it all this so seriosly that we have forgotton or lost the ability to laugh at ourselves and with each other?

pathos we have plenty of but where's the *comedy?just a little levity please.

their is currently a sea of tedium and monotony that threatens to drown us all.

what we need now more than ever is a "forbiddden broadway" but for winter guard! :tongue:

* blessed sac's "homecoming queens got a gun"

field of view's "a crazy day at the salon"

Edited by dugg

if winter guard is theater [and i beleive it is] then where is the humor in today's activity?do we take it all this so seriosly that we have forgotton or lost the ability to laugh at ourselves and with each other?

what we need now more than ever is a "forbiddden broadway" but for winter guard! :tongue:

A Forbidden Broadway for winter guard would be HILARIOUS! The last funny(ish) show I can remember was Braddock's 2006 show (I think it was 2006)... I've seen some really cute shows but nothing hilarious as of late. I'm excited to be performing in a fun/funny show this year -- I've never done one, and performing it is such great FUN. I would love to see some of the top world guards tackle comedy, I think it could be absolutely amazing.

Blessed Sacrament's 92 show was wonderful!! One of my favorites from that organization. They were amazing and still had fun!

Side note - I cannot tell you how many guards are performing to Moonlight Sonata and Somewhere (from West Side Story). All I keep thinking of is San Marino's 1995 show (Moonlight Sonata) and Northmonts 1995 show (Somewhere). BUT Norwin High School and Pope High School both have wonderfully updated versions of "Somewhere" and the treatments of "Moonlight Sonata" (Onyx, Gates Chili, Elizabethtown Independent to name a few) are all very unique and provide for great programs, even though the song is the same. Someone needs to do "Illusions" Shopping show from 1989... anyone?? anyone???

i plan on researching that "shopping" show from illusions,it's availiable on wgi on demand.

btw,comedy is the most difficult of disciplines and yet comedies never win at the oscars. :tongue:

Edited by dugg

Field of View 1997 I thought was a riot. . .performing a show to a soundtrack of what the judges wanted to see and thus making your guard successful.. . . Big Tosses, Flag feature in 3, 2, 1. Spins on one leg, spins on 2 legs. . .spins on 3 legs!??! hahahahhaha still one of the best comedic shows to date!

I think that Taravella's 1998 Joan Crawford show was hilarious. . .no wire hangers! CLEAN UP THIS MESS! :-) That show had me rolling.

I also really dug avon's tongue and cheek show from 2006