Would a DCI corps ever go to DCA format?

I know this will be a very controversial subject. It is not meant to bash or demean anything. I wasn't sure which group to put this in but I figured ya might as well go to the top! If I put it in the DCA group it will only be preaching to the converted.

My thought is that some DCI corps may not be able to keep up and rather than just get small or less shows (Div II- Open Class) they may find it better to go with DCA format for survival purposes.

I see so many lower echelon corps struggle every year when they may find it easier to move the whole deal to DCA?

Just a thought?

I know this will be a very controversial subject. It is not meant to bash or demean anything. I wasn't sure which group to put this in but I figured ya might as well go to the top! If I put it in the DCA group it will only be preaching to the converted.

My thought is that some DCI corps may not be able to keep up and rather than just get small or less shows (Div II- Open Class) they may find it better to go with DCA format for survival purposes.

I see so many lower echelon corps struggle every year when they may find it easier to move the whole deal to DCA?

Just a thought?

It's possible, but they'd have to be in the right part of the country, and actually want to stop traveling as much. For example, Cascades are in a bind... but they won't be joining DCA. Why? My assumption is that it's not viable where they are. They are better off not trying to use DCA as a crutch. DCA is better off not having corps use them as a crutch and then returning.

Generally speaking, DCA isn't based on the touring model, so the corps tend to be less expensive to operate (notice that I said LESS expensive and not INexpensive). I've marched both, and some of the top tier DCA corps I've seen over the years could have probably made DCI finals if rules permitted. Also, DCA is expanding quite rapidly and its membership seems to be getting younger every year, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I don't think he's saying so much for corps to move INTO the DCA circuit, but rather adopt the scheduling of rehearsals and shows that DCA promotes.

World Class corps travel the entire country all summer. Some Open Class corps do the same thing. DCA corps, on the other hand, often stay regionally through the competition season and only travel the great distance for finals. To adopt this policy would arguably be beneficial for struggling DCI corps.

I think that Cascades is sort of attempting this for this season; they aren't necessarily competing, but they're touring on a regional basis and not spending excessive amounts of money to make a trip that could kill the corps (quite literally).

Didn't Raiders work on a weekend only schedule for a few years? It can be done if you're in the right location to be able to hit enough shows. I'm not sure that could be guaranteed year to year, or for all states, and certainly not for all Canadian provinces.

Didn't Raiders work on a weekend only schedule for a few years? It can be done if you're in the right location to be able to hit enough shows. I'm not sure that could be guaranteed year to year, or for all states, and certainly not for all Canadian provinces.

I remember being at a DCA show back east in the mid-90's, and there were several Garden State Circuit corps there. There are two things that stick out in my mind:

1. the season is longer, and might be a bigger problem with high school band directors as it impacts their band camps and the start of the school year in some states.

2. DCA has a good thing going for the corps that belong to that circuit. They might not want a bunch of new corps coming into their swimming pool.

If it would require that organizations expand their age restrictions, it would mean that the organization would have to fundamentally change their mission.

Pretty much all DCI member corps or corps in competition at DCI sponsored events have a mission that is exclusively focused on youth.

Regarding band camp, there are quite a few people in my corps who are still in high school. Yet they always seem to work things out even though our season goes right through their camp.

Exactly, except without the long lay off in between junior competitive years and senior competitive years that the Kilties experienced. If I understand Ed's question it might be something along these lines. I'll use East Coast Jazz as an example as they are presently on 'hiatus':

Could ECJ compete Open Class in DCI in 2007 and then choose to compete DCA in 2008 due to financial and/or membership concerns, etc.?

Looking past organizational requirements of DCI and DCA, why couldn't they if it meant the survival of the corps?

(Was that your question, Ed?)

Edited by strutta