BOA in DCI

There's nothing to compare. I'm all for evolution and not being static in an ever-changing world... at the same time, however, I think we should realize that drum corps and marching band are on two different playing fields. Regardless of what Hoppy wants to do with instrumentation, there is no reason for Avon High School's marching band to be compared to Phantom Regiment. Let's keep our apples in one basket and our oranges in another.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing to compare. I'm all for evolution and not being static in an ever-changing world... at the same time, however, I think we should realize that drum corps and marching band are on two different playing fields. Regardless of what Hoppy wants to do with instrumentation, there is no reason for Avon High School's marching band to be compared to Phantom Regiment. Let's keep our apples in one basket and our oranges in another.

Why? Because Avon might do better then Phantom in some captions? Seriously, though, its not really all THAT different. The way the organizations are run is different, yes...but the product and activity itself is not that far off. Especially if you are talking the top 20-30% of marching bands in this country.

Its like saying Pizza Hut and Papa Johns can't be compared. :whip:

Why? Because Avon might do better then Phantom in some captions? Seriously, though, its not really all THAT different. The way the organizations are run is different, yes...but the product and activity itself is not that far off. Especially if you are talking the top 20-30% of marching bands in this country.

Its like saying Pizza Hut and Papa Johns can't be compared. :whip:

As long as you do not call EITHER of their products 'pizza'. :whip:

Why? Because Avon might do better then Phantom in some captions? Seriously, though, its not really all THAT different.

Avon would never do better than Phantom in any captions. For one, it's a about maturity. Drum corps marchers are usually older and in college. Second, experience. The staff and marchers know what it takes and how to get there.

I would say it's a LOT different.

ANYWAY. Why do people think woodwinds would actually get passed, when drum corps' whole thing has been "It's NOT marching band!"

Avon would never do better than Phantom in any captions. For one, it's a about maturity. Drum corps marchers are usually older and in college. Second, experience. The staff and marchers know what it takes and how to get there.

ANYWAY. Why do people think woodwinds would actually get passed, when drum corps' whole thing has been "It's NOT marching band!"

Never is a long time. 25-30 years ago the marching band percussion section was light years behind about any drum corps. Not so much any more. Granted I don't think the above would happen this year or next, but what about 5 years or maybe 10? The level of excellence in the band area has progressed much faster than drum corps. Sure they have limitations, but they also have unique strengths. Since they are from the same area, more rehearsals. While I suspect the budgets are not close now, that could change. Think about the funding for Texas football, why couldn't the same be done with Texas bands?

MBA (what BOA was called when it began) had a Summer National Championship. I did not pretend to know how it was done, but many bands did participate over several years, including Marian Catholic who were the Summer Champs before they became (fall) Grand National Champs.

Is it possible? Sure. Anything's possible.

Is it probable? Who knows?

Can we rule it out? No.

I remeber this. The HS band in the next town participated. I think one reason it failed was parents didn't want their children's summer completely consumed by band. Some school districts and even some states have restrictions on how much bands and athletic teams can practice and compete/perform during the summer.

Until our public education system changes with a longer school year I don't see this happening.

In addition to maturity and experience, it's about the cream rising to the top and being concentrated into drum corps elite. The best marching band in the world would not be able to see all of its members make a top 12 corps. There would be no hope of a BOA band competing with any top 12 corps in demand and execution. Now, if there were a caption exclusively for cheesy narration they might score pretty well in that, although Cadets would still probably beat them there as well.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you but most of Avon's staff work in drum corps.

Jay Webb - Head Director & Percussion Arranger

Matt Harloff - Director & Hornline

Ben Harloff - Hornline

Jay Bocook - Music Arranger

Leon May - Drill Designer

Jeff Queen - Percussion

You guys are comparing these bands to the top of World Class. They would not be allowed to compete on a head to head level with them even if they wanted to. On the other hand were they would compete is in Open class. I think the avg. age would very similar. They wouldn't have to tour. Do local shows, maybe go to the focus show near Indy, go to Championships. There are quite a few Open Class corps that do that now.

The audition their 300 piece band down to 150 and compete in Open class.