Guam Drum & Bugle Corps

my bad... of course it was Richard Rodgers... Bernstein was a "senior moment"

Victory at Sea

We played it in Archie too. Awesome music!

Stopped at Sprawl-Mart yesterday and in the "get 'em outta here" bin of DVD was the classic "Victory At Sea" series for $5. This was a TV(?) series from the early 50s of the Navy during WWII and there are 26 episodes. Being a history buff I bought one and checked out the beginning of an episode to make sure it worked.

Watched first few minutes of the episode dealing with the South Pacific island of Guam because I was there twice for work. Saw film clips of Guam before the Japanese took over day after Pear Harbor and saw an Army(?) bass drum that had "Guam Drum <below the screen> Corps" and the Guam emblem on the drum head.

Well nothing on google so have to ask. Anyone have a good source to check that the military had a DC on Guam? History of Drum Corps has a chapter on military DC but Guam is not listed. Not surprised as that place is below the radar on most anything. Oh yeah, Guam is part of the US..

Hafa Adai... :huh:

PS - my previous DC mystery was a pic of the intersection of Drum & Bugle in Anchorage, Alaska

Was there another copy of the cd there that you could retreive for a fellow Jimmy! I'd like to hear that - not at all familiar with it

Was there another copy of the cd there that you could retreive for a fellow Jimmy! I'd like to hear that - not at all familiar with it

Next time I go buy stuff from Wall-Mart I'll see if any copies are still in the bargin bin.

Bad news is, if I can avoid it I only go there once every few months. It's one of big ###ed W-Ms with a supermarket and driving thru the parking lot usually takes a few months off my life. :thumbup:

And we were there on a Saturday afternoon, think half the population of the rural county north of us was there. What's the line about "If you want to feel better about yourself, spend some time at Wall-Mart"? Then again the W-M store in Lebanon, PA is the great American melting pot. From what I heard lot of the customers are either Amish of Hispanic (from downtown Lebanon). That should make for an interesting experience and I mean that in a nice way.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Took another look at the video and bass drum head says "Guam Militia Drum <unreadable> Corps". According to google, Guam Militia was the equivilant to the National Guard on the island and one site read ".... used mainly for ceremonial purposes...". Will recheck what I read but the Militia might not have been armed during the Japanese invasion Dec 1941 as they took no casualties. Then again US loses were slight as the Japanese had so many troops any prolonged struggle would have been a slaughter. The real suffering was taken by the locals after the Japanese took over the island.

Bizarre thing is last time I was there, the Japanese were coming to Guam like eastern US residents fly to the Carribian (man does my spelling suck tonight). How many five star hotels can you build before the island sinks? :tongue:

Time for more Googling or look for a email address from Guam info. Too bad I don't have any reason to go there for work anymore. :ph34r:

Yes they had Drum and Bugle Corps in Alaska.

As a matter of fact one was "Corps of the North". I believe they even marched in the VFW Nationals Parade in New York City in 1966. Saw the Corps BUS!!. Navy Blue with Gold writing. and a Big Dipper in gold stars on it.

"North to Alaska":

The "Corps of the North" was a project of Garfield Cadet alumni Dave Shaw. He was stationed at Fort Wainwright (Fairbanks AK) in the early 1960s and with some help, started the corps. There was also a color guard from there the "Northernaires" that some militray-ex drum corps types started that competed in the VFW & Legion Nationals in 1966.

There have been several "Military Drum Corps" started at overseas locations. There was an Air Force unit at Osan AB in the 1960s, and the Marines hd several smallish corps at several Marine Corps bases at that time also. The USAF had "Student Drum Corps" at several of their "Training Bases" (Most of which with the exception of Lackland AFB, are long gone), and the US Navy had/has a corps at the Great Lakes Traing Center.

Elphaba

• Thanks 1

Checking the Ultimate Guam Website (that's what it's called) for the Militia and found something Off Topic to Drum Corps yet On Topic to WWII.

Info on last Japanese soldier found on Guam (1972). And he wasn't the last one found in the South Pacific. Just gives you an idea of how remote parts of small islands can be.

http://ns.gov.gu/scrollapplet/sergeant.html

LOL, might have found something but have to check at home. I'm doing this over lunch at work and a site is blocked. A one liner about a D&BC at an elementary school on Guam which appears to have been in operation in the 1980s..

Edit: Beginning to hate Google:

Guam+"bugle corps" = 0 hits

"bugle corps"+guam = 1,710 hits. :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I think "Victory at Sea" was Richard Rogers...

Rogers was the big-name composer who furnished about a dozen short snippets of theme music. The real credit belongs to Robert Russell Bennett, who scored and conducted all the soundtrack for 26 half-hour episodes. Except for the opening and closing theme, none of the underscore was repeated.

That's over 11 hours of original music!

The "Corps of the North" was a project of Garfield Cadet alumni Dave Shaw.

They competed at the 1963 VFW Nationals in Seattle. Clad in all-white, they came off the line to "Dancing in the Dark".

There was also a color guard marching with the Alaska delegation at the 1969 Legion Nationals in Atlanta. But they looked suspiciously like the Kenosha Kingsmen, who had paraded several hours earlier. It's amazing what could be procured with a little "cold" cash.