Operation Taps: More about our newest participating unit

I posted last week about another corps that is participating in Operation Taps: The Manchester, NH Muchachos, who are also the parent corps of MCA participant, the Amoskeag Sound.

They are sponsors of 100 nights of Rememberance: Starting on Memorial Day and extending to September 11, every night at 7pm a bugler will play Taps at the NH State Veterans Cemetery in Boscawen NH.

Since starting the OperationTaps web site on Veterans Day 2007, I've come in contact with some true patriots, but this is one of the most honorable endeavors I've heard of.

Make sure you give these guys a big hand when you see them this season.

Thanks guys.

I posted last week about another corps that is participating in Operation Taps: The Manchester, NH Muchachos, who are also the parent corps of MCA participant, the Amoskeag Sound.

They are sponsors of 100 nights of Rememberance: Starting on Memorial Day and extending to September 11, every night at 7pm a bugler will play Taps at the NH State Veterans Cemetery in Boscawen NH.

Since starting the OperationTaps web site on Veterans Day 2007, I've come in contact with some true patriots, but this is one of the most honorable endeavors I've heard of.

Make sure you give these guys a big hand when you see them this season.

Thanks guys.

Tommy, keep up the great work. Its great to see people going above and beyond in this day!

Talk soon.

Congrats to the Muchachos, as well as all the other corps' who have stepped up for this great project.

Tom has an outstanding mission here... and it's not surprising that drum corps' like the Muchachos are putting it into practice.

Tom... here is an idea you might pass along...

April 9th is POW/MIA Recognition Day.

Our local V.A. Hospital has a ceremony each year. And, I'm sure that some Veteran's organizations in many other communities must also hold one.

Our local one was an incredilbly moving event last year; with a couple of first-hand accounts and a handful of former POW's on hand to be honored.

An excellent chance to play Taps for some of our lost heroes, AND to honor a few that we still have with us. Should be easy to find out if there is one to be held in your area.

Sorry.. edited for TOM.. not TIM... I can't get ONE post right the first try!

Edited by brassomaniac

Congrats to the Muchachos, as well as all the other corps' who have stepped up for this great project.

Tom has an outstanding mission here... and it's not surprising that drum corps' like the Muchachos are putting it into practice.

Tom... here is an idea you might pass along...

April 9th is POW/MIA Recognition Day. Among other things, a day to present Taps for those who don't have their own, marked resting place to honor.

Our local V.A. Hospital has a ceremony each year. And. I'm sure that some Veteran's organizations in many other communities must also hold one.

Our local one was an incredilbly moving event last year; with a couple of first-hand accounts and a handful of former POW's on hand to be honored.

An excellent chance to play Taps for some of our lost heroes, AND to honor a few that we still have with us. Should be easy to find out if there is one to be held in your area.

Sorry.. edited for TOM.. not TIM... I can't get ONE post right the first try!

Excellent Idea Tom!!!

I have a few contacts at the Veterans Outreach Center here in Rochester - I'll try to get something together.

But let me ask you, or anyone else who wants to jump in:

I've had people ask if it's appropriate to play Taps at POW/MIA events... apparently some folks have mentioned that it implies that the MIA will never come home.

What's your experience with that? Is there a rule?

Anyone else who has info on that please jump in.

... PS I wish I had a buck for every time someone called me Tim ... I keep getting a credit card bill from Binsford Tools.

Excellent Idea Tom!!!

I have a few contacts at the Veterans Outreach Center here in Rochester - I'll try to get something together.

But let me ask you, or anyone else who wants to jump in:

I've had people ask if it's appropriate to play Taps at POW/MIA events... apparently some folks have mentioned that it implies that the MIA will never come home.

Anyone else who has info on that please jump in.

... PS I wish I had a buck for every time someone called me Tim ... I keep getting a credit card bill from Binsford Tools.

All I know is that the local group has it as a part of their ceremony.

After all the speeches and recognition of former POW's in attendence, Taps are played. Could be that they are played for ALL of our vets who have passed on; and maybe NOT for the MIA's ... I'm not sure.

When they called me this week, that was what they requested, again.

I'm going to give them a call and pose your question. Will share as soon as I know.

Edited by brassomaniac

All I know is that the local group has it as a part of their ceremony.

After all the speeches and recognition of former POW's in attendence, Taps are played. Could be that they are played for ALL of our vets who have passed on; and maybe NOT for the MIA's ... I'm not sure.

When they called me this week, that was what they requested, again.

I'm going to give them a call and pose your question. Will share as soon as I know.

Thanks.

And thanks again for all the great work you are doing in your community.

Spoke, this morning, with the Director of Volunteers at the Dept of Veteran's Affairs Office in Albany.

You are correct. Taps are not played for MIA's.

In Albany, they hold an additional ceremony for MIA's in the Fall. So, for this one, on POW/MIA Recognition Day, they DO set the table with the place setting for the missing. But they focus the rest of the ceremony on honoring our POW's, both surviving and past. And Taps are played for those we've lost.

Hope that helps.

Edited by brassomaniac

Talking on the phone is worth a point? Cmon now...LOL

Talking on the phone is worth a point? Cmon now...LOL

So..... I suppose, then, that you want a one point PENALTY for using the phone? :tongue:

Oh... that's right....

YOU were ok with using them until corps started switching to MULTI-KEYED phones! :ph34r:

Back in YOUR day they used to jiggle the hook til the operator came on the line!

Edited by brassomaniac

Spoke, this morning, with the Director of Volunteers at the Dept of Veteran's Affairs Office in Albany.

You are correct. Taps are not played for MIA's.

In Albany, they hold an additional ceremony for MIA's in the Fall. So, for this one, on POW/MIA Recognition Day, they DO set the table with the place setting for the missing. But they focus the rest of the ceremony on honoring our POW's, both surviving and past. And Taps are played for those we've lost.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the follow up Tom.

Anyone doing a performance for MIAs should be sure to check the protocol for what material is appropriate.