Rudimental Drum Circle

jonnyboy

Hey all, what do you think of a rudimental drum circle? I'm starting a group and hope to just have an open jam with anyone interested in corps style drumming. The idea would be to work on excercises, get some chops back, learn from eachother and just have some people to drum with once or twice a month.

I'm thinking we could spend the first hour learning excercises, and maybe some experienced drummers could help newbies. The second hour could be spent working excercises or some of the new extended jam warmups like SCV double beat. All would be welcome, from beginer to pro. Once we get cranking the beginers might have to put a pad on the drum, we'll take that as we go.

I currently have nine HTS snares, ten more matching snares with harnesses and I'm building some tenors. We could play off stands or racks...whatever. I'd like to add quads/quints and 5 bases. Anyone that wants to jump on bass for a few reps could, or tenors for that matter. Group consensus would prevail. Heck, if you write a street beat or solo we might even tackle that.

From this jam group it would be great if some would like to do a parade here and there, just for fun (are parades fun?...maybe a short one). Might also be fun to play during the summer so kids that want to get up chops to do corps could.

Interested parties send me a message. I'm located in Cecil County MD, about one hour north of Baltimore and one hour south of Philly.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, no repsonses! I would have at least thought someone would chime in. Is this a bad idea? Would you do it if it was near you? Let me know what you think. Remember, drums and practice space is provided. Just show up with sticks and play, no strings and no commitments.

Wow, no repsonses! I would have at least thought someone would chime in. Is this a bad idea? Would you do it if it was near you? Let me know what you think. Remember, drums and practice space is provided. Just show up with sticks and play, no strings and no commitments.

It's not a bad idea at all. My friend Danny was telling me about this on Saturday. The only problem is that we're kind of busy right now with the start of Alumni season.

Gus

• 11 months later...

We are a go for this summer. Most likely a few hours once a week for about six weeks. If you want to be notified please send me your email and I'll send out the info.

First thing will be double beats, triple beats, a roll sequencing thing or two. We might then tackle SCV Double Beat and Suncoast Sounds Spider cadence (I have official copies of both).

Do the Eagles or Ravens have a drumline? Maybe you can contact them. A couple of Cavalier alums are involved in the Bears and Bulls drumlines. One of the guys has been fabricating mobile percussion stands that are ideal for that type of stuff and has turned it into a side business. Scrounge up some music and you may get a bit more interest than running throught warmups for an afternoon.

• 1 year later...

I've had a busy work schedule and just haven't been able to drum up too much interest on DCP. Check out the "Rudimental Drum Circle" page on FaceBook. I'll link the page HERE.

FB group is open to all comers. We are looking for ideas on how to really launch this, specifically what will get people to come out and enjoy drumming. Currently we want to just circle up and play a bit, and if there is interest we can hit the pub after and share war stories. Maybe once a month, once a season, just summertime etc.

I've had a busy work schedule and just haven't been able to drum up too much interest on DCP. Check out the "Rudimental Drum Circle" page on FaceBook. I'll link the page HERE.

FB group is open to all comers. We are looking for ideas on how to really launch this, specifically what will get people to come out and enjoy drumming. Currently we want to just circle up and play a bit, and if there is interest we can hit the pub after and share war stories. Maybe once a month, once a season, just summertime etc.

I also think this is a great idea.... Distance is a killer. Hope you can get it together!!!