Drum Corps and the Kennedy Funeral, Nov. 24, 1963

....I checked that one out and found a few seconds of the USAF Pipe Band in part 3, playing - of all things - Mist Covered Mountains!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6r9aKGmAQ4...feature=related

After watch that clip, what was equally eerie for me for me was hearing Cardinal Cushing's Boston dialect once again.

To OP - of course all of this came together for JFK, only at the expense of his brother Joe Jr's life, and his service to this country. The fact that the old man messed up in Great Britain, only fueled the fire in his belly to see his sons succeed.

To go a step further, in the spring of 1968, my CYO band marched in the St Patrick's Day parade in Southie. Young Bobby Kennedy came running by as he was going to march way in front of us.

It's refreshing to see discussion on DCP elevated to this level. Of course, one might expect as much whenever my old friend O.P. opines on anything.

That famous '62 recording of the USAF corps feautring Rod Goodhart and the others was already worn to a licorice wafer on my turntable by the time JFK went to Dallas. That afternoon, the announcement came over the PA at my military school in NY and I was summoned to the Headmaster's office.

There would be a solemn high funeral mass and I was to be the bugler who sounded taps from the nave. The Arlington service preceded that and I watched attentively as Sgt. Clarke cracked on the "E". The next morning, the local WNYC-TV cameras rolled at the Cathedral of St. Francis Xavier and that evening they intercut my version with his. It felt other-worldly and most unreal.

No doubt, Rodney felt that way the day before on Pennsylvania Avenue. That was about as solemn as drum corps could ever get, and it seems like yesterday.

• Like 1

Wow, Pat...that's quite an honor! And you turned them DOWN?! :ph34r:

Looking back on it, are you sorry you did? If you could go back and do it again, would you accept?

Just curious. No condemnation or anything...just wanna know.

:ph34r:

I often ask myself that question Sally..Until the opportunity presented itself, I would NEVER have considered myself a candidate for The Old Guard. I had been in only about 6 months or so when a team from Ft. Myer, VA came in to our personnel department at Ft. Lewis, WA where I had just been assigned as a personnel records clerk. They had requested to look through the records for the 9th Infantry Divsion, in order to pre-qualify candidates for the Old Guard. Someone in the department mentioned I had marched in drum corps (Whoopee, 1 whole year) and for about 3 days, I became the center of attention..

Had to admit it was flattering, especially after they had about 20 of us go through some close order drill and manual of arms drills later that week....After careful consideration, I decided to decline because of possible 'after effects'. I would have to waive my enlistment contract (for station of choice) and therefore be eligible for overseas transfer immediately. I would also have had to give up my bowling 'hobby' (more like an obsession) that was one of the reasons I chose the job and station I did.

I suspect I probably would have done exactly the same, unless I would have been more experienced with drum corps. I can never regret staying in Washington, because being there jump started my bowling 'career'. I got to compete with some of the best bowlers in the country, some with famous names and some without..I actually made a few extra bucks on the side as a result.

Still very proud of the fact that they offered me a spot..Who knows? At 19, I was having too much fun being away from home for the first time and getting to become my own person.

Pat

I agree as well--Oswald alone. In his book, "Case Closed: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Assassination of JFK" (2003), Gerald Posner convincingly shows that Oswald was the lone gunman, based on close analysis of the Zapruder film (seating positions, body angles of JFK and Connley) and the so-called "magic bullet." Posner was interviewed for the program that used computer analysis that you mentioned. In addition to demonstrating that there was nothing "mysterious" about Oswald's background and motivation, Posner also exposes the hypocrisy of Jim Garrison and the "conspiracy industry." He brings common sense and sound reasoning to his study, penetrating through the superstitious fog. Its is a MUST read for those interested in the JFK assassination.

Agree with you both. I was a big-time conspiracy theorist until I heard/read Posner's analysis and conclusions. I think that the consequences of Kennedy's death were so cataclysmic, and brought about such a major turning point for the nation, that many people couldn't accept the fact that one person made that happen. I find that is often the case with conspiracy theories; people can't make events make sense in their own minds, so they construct scenarios that make more sense. But life does not follow a narrative pattern, and there's much that happens that is incomprehensible. No matter how hard we try to give it some sort of "order" that we can understand, it will never be understandable.

Edited by byline

Agree with you both. I was a big-time conspiracy theorist until I heard/read Posner's analysis and conclusions. I think that the consequences of Kennedy's death were so cataclysmic, and brought about such a major turning point for the nation, that many people couldn't accept the fact that one person made that happen. I find that is often the case with conspiracy theories; people can't make events make sense in their own minds, so they construct scenarios that make more sense. But life does not follow a narrative pattern, and there's much that happens that is incomprehensible. No matter how hard we try to give it some sort of "order" that we can understand, it will never be understandable.

Hear! Hear!

Puppet

Hey, Dan,

Thanks, again, for the extra info and, ...a bit late...for the phenomenal show in Ithaca (75?)

Best,

SKY

Sky,

Ithaca was '74. I was only one guy among 128 members doing their best to entertain the crowd and bring home a championship. Unfortunately, we came up short that night. I'm glad you liked the show.

You, O.C., and ironlips appear to have been invloved, or have close ties to those who did particpate, in the JFK funeral. I think I can speak for the other DCP posters on this thread (most of us were kids in 1963!) by passing on our regards to the drum corps/pipe band members who participated.

• 2 weeks later...
It's refreshing to see discussion on DCP elevated to this level. Of course, one might expect as much whenever my old friend O.P. opines on anything.

That famous '62 recording of the USAF corps feautring Rod Goodhart and the others was already worn to a licorice wafer on my turntable by the time JFK went to Dallas. That afternoon, the announcement came over the PA at my military school in NY and I was summoned to the Headmaster's office.

There would be a solemn high funeral mass and I was to be the bugler who sounded taps from the nave. The Arlington service preceded that and I watched attentively as Sgt. Clarke cracked on the "E". The next morning, the local WNYC-TV cameras rolled at the Cathedral of St. Francis Xavier and that evening they intercut my version with his. It felt other-worldly and most unreal.

No doubt, Rodney felt that way the day before on Pennsylvania Avenue. That was about as solemn as drum corps could ever get, and it seems like yesterday.

Iron lips, the "Gandalf" of drum corps, wize old wizard that he is....

• Like 1

Iron lips, the "Gandalf" of drum corps, wize old wizard that he is....

Oh, man - that's a hilarious visual - Frankey D as Gandalf.

About as funny as OP as Frodo!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Oh, man - that's a hilarious visual - Frankey D as Gandalf.

About as funny as OP as Frodo!!

And you as Sam-wise :thumbs-up:

Edited by O.P.