Old Valve/Slide bugle

jblamb1401

Checked www.dbcna.com and see two CT entries for Vagabonds

Vagabonds - Milford (Unknown if Jr/Sr)

Vagabonds - Torrington (Sr) existed 59-73

I'm wondering how long they used that piston/slide horn you have.

Never heard of the Vagabonds from Milford. Torrington is a definite yes. Maybe at one time the corps director lived in Milford and that's where the confusion comes in. Connecticut is a small state.

The horn is a Getzen!

Sorry it took so long to reply. I'm at work, internet is not set up yet at home, and I was working from bad memory.

The slide on the horn pulls out a good 4-5 inches before it hits the stop.

Has anyone ever heard of the Connecticut Vagabonds?

I played a Getzen soprano piston/slide G bugle in the Bath Maine Buccaneers Senior Corps and the Lackland AFB, D and B corps during the early and mid-1960's.

We competed against the Vagabonds in the Northeast Circuit during the earlyy 1960's.

I now own two Olds piston/rotor soprano horns used in the late 1960's (Zig Kanstul repaired one in his Anaheim shop in 2006). I much prefer the P/R horns to the two valve next generation....the two valves seemed to collect a bunch of spit the P/R horns didn't.

I played a Getzen soprano piston/slide G bugle in the Bath Maine Buccaneers Senior Corps and the Lackland AFB, D and B corps during the early and mid-1960's.

I also played a Getzen soprano piston/slide G bugle in the Lewiston, Maine Scarlet Cadets during that same time in the 60s. IM me so we can swap stories. :tongue:

This would be the same type of bugle still used today by Riggie Laus of the Steel City Ambassadors at 83 years of age and the same one he used while with the Pittsburgh Rockets and captured a national Individual title playing "Flight of the Bumblbee". FYI: Riggie was never defeated in National Individual competion. If you talk to the man today he still has the same enthusiasim as he had back in the 1950's and 1960's. A true gentleman.

Edited by melligene

This would be the same type of bugle still used today by Riggie Laus of the Steel City Ambassadors at 83 years of age and the same one he used while with the Pittsburgh Rockets and captured a national Individual title playing "Flight of the Bumblbee". FYI: Riggie was never defeated in National Individual competion. If you talk to the man today he still has the same enthusiasim as he had back in the 1950's and 1960's. A true gentleman.

Any vids or audio of Riggie?