How would a Draft affect the activity?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part, I agree with you Brian..The only drawback to the numbers are those who are enlisting to be reservists / NG's. The 'regular' forces are the ones that seem to be coming up short for our recent deployments overseas. A draft being reinstitued would only make sure we have enough regular active duty personnel, so the folks who signed up for reserves would be less likely to get sent into critical / combat situations. And that the NG troops could go back to preparing for that purpose and for the domestic tasks that the Guard does

I am currently enlisted in the Army National Guard. I joined in fall of 06. And I joined knowing that I would be going to combat at some point. The only real difference now between Active and Reserve is where they spend their time when not deployed. Active stays on a base and does Army stuff as a 9-5 job. Reserve stays in their home state and maintains a civilian job. Once deployed, there is zero difference. I like it like that. I didn't join the Guard because I don't want to deploy. I like the idea of going over to Iraq for a tour or two. But I also want to get ahead with the other parts of my life in between. And I think a lot of other people are doing this too.