2008 Kilties Spring Preview Concert

Just got back from the performance....Here are my thoughts of the Kilties 2008 show as well as Kenosha's Independent Indoor Drum Line, Beats.

The Spring Concert Preview was held at the auditorium of Gilmore Middle School in Racine, Wisconsin. A crowd of well over 100 people showed up and were not disappointed. The concert began around 3pm.

The opening act was Kenosha's independent indoor drum line, Beats.

Their uniform was a khaki military fatigue look. The drum line consisted of two quads, 3 snares, 5 bass drums, and 9 in the front ensemble. Their show is entitled, "Canopy of the Amazon".

The beginning of their show kicked off with individual percussion instruments coming in one at a time. Rain machine, steel drums, bongos..etc. Started off in a slow rhythmic beat then progressed into a nice afro Caribbean style. Their featured keyboard soloists (2) are the strongest in the ensemble. During their solos they kept an artistic touch to the tempos when needed. Their was a little tempo riff during the bass feature but held together over all. Overall a very pleasant performance from Kenosha Beats. Good luck at your upcoming contest at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

There was a small intermission as Kenosha Beats were breaking down their equipment for the next act...The 2008 edition of the Kilties.

From what I counted here are the numbers that were performing.

In the drumline...8 snares, 4 tenors, 6 cymbals, 5 bass drums and 10 in the front ensemble. In the hornline...42 brass players with 4 missing.

They kicked off the show with their new street beat. Very good drum licks, tight as a street beat should be. (marking time in my seat)....then the roll off to....

Scotland the Brave - very good opening statement. 1st sopranos fraking a bit. The balance of the hornline was nice. No heroes were heard. The horns down needs to be worked on as the tune is finished. That will come with repetition.....another roll off...

Parade Syne - an oldie but a goodie. Good balance. Soprano soloist needs to hammer out the solo, ear training will help with that.

In memory of front ensemble instructor and performing member, Jim Heisinger, who passed away recently the Kilties performed, Water is Wide. The solo was performed on the keyboard in tribute to Jim. Very nice balance. Good job Kilties.

Now on to the 2008 Kilties show entitled....Renaissance (5 movements)

I. Out of the Darkness - Starts off with a very nice baritone solo. Only comment about it was an overall good job but the tone needs a little more darker fuller sound. Then a contra takes over the solo duties then is handed off to the soprano soloist. Soprano sounded a bit raw around the edges. Needs to be an extension of the brass ensemble. Then a very nice hit from the hornline. Bari section takes over with their licks then followed by the mellophone feature...tasty. Again 1st sopranos sticking out. Think royality.

II. Celebration - Contra and keyboard duet. very nice job. cant wait to see what you do with it on the field. Hornline comes back in with a nice feature. (think Henry V) Contra and keyboard back in again to end the piece. Overall very enjoyable. Hornline will makes this movement sell once it rounds out the overall tone quality. Once that happens this will be one that you will whistle for weeks to come.

III. Conflict - very nice bass drum run. (best bd section the Kilties have ever had). Very original tenor visuals going on, very dark and angry when the hornline enters.....hellz yeah!!! Be careful on the rests. A couple of early entrances here and there will ruin the effect you are going for. Good job over all

IV. Peace - Good job on the choral effect, this is going to be one to remember if the visual aspect of the show can compliment this movement. The call and response from each section of the hornline was done effectively. This will be a make or break moment for the corps. When it is pull off, you will remember it. Very nice wall of sound as it crescendos to the end with soprano solo. Very good job Bobby. There was a slight tempo issue when the front ensemble came in that could of just de-railed a good performance. Major kudos goes to the drum major. I noticed that things weren't in sync with the conducting to what was coming out from the front ensemble. As a drum major should, kept the same tempo with confidence until the front ensemble caught up. A very good sign was that no one was freaking out or showed it. The vast majority of the people in the crowd had no idea that it was going on. That is a sign the Kilties are turning the corner.

V. New Era - lol....for those who wanted some ol school drum corps in your face...you are going to love this piece. Very nice wall of sound. Baritone licks were done tastefully with the mellophones answering not to be outdone. Then its the sopranos turn. I don't mean to be picking on this section but I can only write what I hear. 1st sopranos need to tone it down. very raw sound. Once it is figured out the whole package will become complete.

So for the conclusion...

Scott Stewart and the rest of the 2008 staff has the Kilties on to the right track. Can not wait to see the field show.

A very enjoyable performance by the Kenosha Beats and the Kilties.

Frank Cardenas

Kilties 2002-2007

Edited by The Original El Guapo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the performance....Will be entering my thoughts of the Kilties 2008 show as well as Kenosha's Independent Indoor Drum Line, Beat, in just a couple of hours.
Edited by ea1974

"I don't mean to be picking on this section but I can..." etc.

So, they played their ENTIRE 2008 show? Plus three other tunes? Not just the 2008 "Opener"? Not just the "first half" or "parts" they know? In March? Tennors doing cool visuals already? In March????

If so, then I'm simply and completely impressed/scared that a corps has already "performed" their entire musical book -- in public. In March???

Your review is what I would expect to hear in June of the Kilties. So I guess that means they have their act together??

How hard is the music?

How did the audience react?

Lot of brass - how do the sections break down?

Do they have a guard yet?

Tell us more! Must know more! Anybody else with info/impressions??

"I don't mean to be picking on this section but I can..." etc.

So, they played their ENTIRE 2008 show? Plus three other tunes? Not just the 2008 "Opener"? Not just the "first half" or "parts" they know? In March? Tennors doing cool visuals already? In March????

If so, then I'm simply and completely impressed/scared that a corps has already "performed" their entire musical book -- in public. In March???

Your review is what I would expect to hear in June of the Kilties. So I guess that means they have their act together??

How hard is the music?

How did the audience react?

Lot of brass - how do the sections break down?

Do they have a guard yet?

Tell us more! Must know more! Anybody else with info/impressions??

Scott Stewart is making sure the Kilties have every thing in place to produce an entertaining show for the fans but also keeping competitive aspect. I believe they were given the complete show to learn in January.

The level of difficultly of the music varies on the opinion of the listener. To me this show is written to the strengths of the corps. It's up to the corps to sell it to the judges and the fans. They have set the mark. It's up to them to set the mark even higher.

The audience really liked the show. Very long applause at the end of the show.

As for the breakdown of the hornline I will have that later on.

From what I heard they had 15 guard members there rehearsing in the gym.

Scott Stewart is making sure the Kilties have every thing in place to produce an entertaining show for the fans but also keeping competitive aspect. I believe they were given the complete show to learn in January.

The level of difficultly of the music varies on the opinion of the listener. To me this show is written to the strengths of the corps. It's up to the corps to sell it to the judges and the fans. They have set the mark. It's up to them to set the mark even higher.

The audience really liked the show. Very long applause at the end of the show.

As for the breakdown of the hornline I will have that later on.

From what I heard they had 15 guard members there rehearsing in the gym.

Hey Guapo.............nice seeing ya!!

Thanks for the review.

Number wise. Percussion: 8 snare, 4 tenor, 5 bass, 6 cymbal, 10 front ensemble all in attendance.

16 guard in attendance (and looking goooooooood), may have two openings in the guard to bring it to 18 for those interested in applying.

Brass in attendance: 14 baris, 9 mellos, 7 contra, 13 sopranos with 2 contra and 3 sopranos unable to attend due to logistic/band program event or illness problems. Brass line has 3 openings for anyone wishing to apply for membership.

WWBD!!

Bill

Yes. Yes it is, Dan.

And to second what Guapo said, what a bass drum line. The whole drumline has stepped it up several notches during my time off, but especially the bass drummers; wow. :grouphug: