DCPI Q&A

The Harmonic Drum Corps Organization (HDCO) has made the executive decision to make Harmonic a single corps competing in the Open Class/Division 2. I have already updated the caption selections and schedule for the corps; however, we still appear as a Division 1 corps and the now-folded Harmonic Cadets apparently still exist. Is there any way you can fix this without affecting our caption selections or schedule? Thanks!

I've updated those two corps. You shouldn't have to change your captions as long as you're not over the score limit, but double-check to make sure that everything looks the way you want.

• 4 weeks later...

Our corps (Harmonic) was originally Division 1, so our point total was 150. However, when we were promoted down to Open, we were not reminded that we need to reset our captions to a total less than or equal to 120. We have already been scored at our first and second competitions. Does this mean that our scores for both of these competitions will be disqualified due to our situation?

PM sent.

I know its a little late, but my corps will be returning this season along with a new corps! Moving up to World Class is our primary corps the Thoroughbreds! Moving up to Open Class is the Colonels! Also, introducing to Class A, Enlightenment! All corps of the Bluegrass Alliance are excited to be participating in this season's events!

• 4 months later...

Forgive me if it's mentioned in here, don't have a lot of time to dig through here. So how does scoring work? I'm assuming as corps compete during the season, and then scores are based off of the scores during the season? Also, if a caption we have doesn't compete on a given day, say like on June 21st one of my captions is in a corps that's not competing on that day? Don't have to get complex, just a pretty basic rundown would be cool.

Also, I see we can change captions right now. Does that cut off when the season starts and we're with whoever we picked?

Seems really cool, I'm all over this. Should be fun.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Forgive me if it's mentioned in here, don't have a lot of time to dig through here. So how does scoring work? I'm assuming as corps compete during the season, and then scores are based off of the scores during the season? Also, if a caption we have doesn't compete on a given day, say like on June 21st one of my captions is in a corps that's not competing on that day? Don't have to get complex, just a pretty basic rundown would be cool.

Also, I see we can change captions right now. Does that cut off when the season starts and we're with whoever we picked?

Seems really cool, I'm all over this. Should be fun.

It's a direct match one nights a corps performs, and a formula based on recent scores if not. For example, If you have BD in Guard, and they score 17.8 one night, your corps would get 17.8 in guard, too. However, if BD had the next night off, the system would generate a score for all their captions. The next night, your BD guard score might be 17.7, 17.8, or 18.0 (or many other possibilities). It will be CLOSE to what they've actually been scoring, however.

NOTE: the formula has built-in entropy. The long a DCI corps is dormant, the more their generated scores erode relative to other corps.

You can change captions as much as you want the first two weeks. After that, you are limited to ONE change per rolling week involving up to THREE captions in that ONE change. So, you could change brass, guard, and visual GE on Monday at 7:00pm, and then you wouldn't be allowed any other changes until the FOLLOWING Monday AT 7:00pm. The timer starts when you make your change. HOWEVER: if you decide to change only your Brass caption, that's your one change for the week: you lose the other two caption changes until the following week. Caption changes do not stack. Up to three caption changes in one change per week, starting June 28th.

You will also get bonus points to play with, five per corps spread across the season, so some planning is in order!

During Championships week, the corps that advance from Prelims to Semis to Finals will have their timers reset and are allowed ONE change of up to TWO captions between each show.

All caption changes are OPTIONAL. If you think you've got a good set, it's okay to stay with it. TWICE I "caption-changed" Polaris Regiment out of the World Class championships with late-season meddling. :mellow:

• Like 1

It's a direct match one nights a corps performs, and a formula based on recent scores if not. For example, If you have BD in Guard, and they score 17.8 one night, your corps would get 17.8 in guard, too. However, if BD had the next night off, the system would generate a score for all their captions. The next night, your BD guard score might be 17.7, 17.8, or 18.0 (or many other possibilities). It will be CLOSE to what they've actually been scoring, however.

NOTE: the formula has built-in entropy. The long a DCI corps is dormant, the more their generated scores erode relative to other corps.

You can change captions as much as you want the first two weeks. After that, you are limited to ONE change per rolling week involving up to THREE captions in that ONE change. So, you could change brass, guard, and visual GE on Monday at 7:00pm, and then you wouldn't be allowed any other changes until the FOLLOWING Monday AT 7:00pm. The timer starts when you make your change. HOWEVER: if you decide to change only your Brass caption, that's your one change for the week: you lose the other two caption changes until the following week. Caption changes do not stack. Up to three caption changes in one change per week, starting June 28th.

You will also get bonus points to play with, five per corps spread across the season, so some planning is in order!

During Championships week, the corps that advance from Prelims to Semis to Finals will have their timers reset and are allowed ONE change of up to TWO captions between each show.

All caption changes are OPTIONAL. If you think you've got a good set, it's okay to stay with it. TWICE I "caption-changed" Polaris Regiment out of the World Class championships with late-season meddling. :mellow:

Ahh. Makes sense. Sounds really neat, don't know why I haven't tried this before. I LOVE analyzing numbers, I'll be all over this. Already have an excel spreadsheet open looking at possible combinations and looking back to last years recaps.....should be fun for my numbers geek side. I was wondering how the heck people were getting 97s when the max in theory score from last year was around a 94 - 95 max for me, so the bonus points thing makes sense there.

So if a corps we're using (Using some OC for a few things in my A group) doesn't enter tour until July 1st, are they just not included or how does that work?

So if a corps we're using (Using some OC for a few things in my A group) doesn't enter tour until July 1st, are they just not included or how does that work?

Most likely they get generated scores based on early season scores from last summer. Pretty sure that is how it works. So example I have used Boston Crusaders caption before in the summer season and a lot of time they don't start touring until July 1st... same thing. Until you get a really score to start with its all relative.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone link me to the registration thread please?