Crown gets most votes!

People like to be entertained. Carolina Crown is entertaining.

I'm tired and bored of watching the SOS from just about every Drum and Trumpet Corps. I pretty much know that it's going to be 11 minutes of evolving geometric patterns and non-recognizable music from every Corps, with maybe a few brief moments in each show that wake me up. More Corps should follow the lead of CC and worry about entertaining us with more imagination/creativity/recognizable music and not about trying to the impresss the cute little judges......

You're right. Let's go back to the days when eight corps played "Children of Sanchez" in a single year, including three finalist corps.

Please, you're calling today's corps "SOS." How can you even begin to say that argument is valid in light of the 1979 season?

And FWIW, Crown's '07 show was one of my least favorite.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right. Let's go back to the days when eight corps played "Children of Sanchez" in a single year, including three finalist corps.

Please, you're calling today's corps "SOS." How can you even begin to say that argument is valid in light of the 1979 season?

And FWIW, Crown's '07 show was one of my least favorite.

My guess is that the SOS comment is based on the fact that todays corps are using more and more obscure music, and when they get it, they arrange it to where it's totally obscure. There is the argument of "play it like it was written" vs. "change it all up and make it more difficult." I'm gonna steal a quote from Elmo Batch from a different topic....

A simple "note-per-note" arrangement while entertaining to many, shows more about the creativity of the arranger and staff than it does the actual ability of the ensemble performing it. That my friends is why Carolina's hornline finishes where they finish on the score card. I am not being hateful here, just pointing things out. This is also why fans of their show (which was wonderful) commonly ask "why didn't they score higher?"

Does my enjoyment of more advanced arrangements make me a nerd? You bet. Do corps that have more advanced arrangements tend to score higher in Music caption areas? You bet. This is a difficult concept for a person without a marked pedagogical understanding of advanced composition to understand. A common fan like this will usually ask "Why didn't corps Z score higher than corps Y? I could actually recognize their selections." This is the crux of the issue: purists vs. progressives.

I would disagree with part of his statement...about note-per-note shows more about the creativity of the arranger...Ok...I guess I agree with that, but to me, it's about HOW it's performed. Take, for example, Phantom's version of Amazing Grace. Is it really that difficult of an arrangement? nope...is it one of the most soul-stirring songs you've ever heard come out of a horn? quite possibly. Should the corps that plays an incredibly difficult piece with obvious mistakes score higher than the corps that plays a less difficult song, but plays it spot on?. With the demise of the tic, and the advent of the feel good build up system, judging has allowed difficulty to replace precision. Is that good or bad? I guess it depends on what side of the fence you are on. And to add to the end of the above quote....I think we need more "common" fans.

as much of a geezer I am, I don't want to hear the same song done by 3 corps in one year. I recognize that in order to score well (win)(cater to the judges) you have to play extremely difficult music. This leaves the first time fan out of the loop, and without first time fans, there will be no second time fans...there are only 2 directions a business can go...up or down. Zero fan growth doesn't bide well for the future, especially when they are doing everything they can to disenfranchise the "geezer" fan.

"And FWIW, Crown's '07 show was one of my least favorite."

Well then, you would be in the minority then, no?

"And FWIW, Crown's '07 show was one of my least favorite."

Well then, you would be in the minority then, no?

yeah, we probably are in the minority, but what's new?

the hornline was ASTOUNDING and GREAT, but could you imagine showing up for the first day of move-in... walk out to the field to learn drill, and then rehearsal starts:

"Uh... yeah... horns, right here, we're going to need you to walk around pretending to be horses."

but i'll probably go to hear the star-like sounds they put out. good for crown!

Score for being the least favorite of the favorite! :ninja:

for what it's worth, your show is my favorite in the countdown.

~>conner

Cadets 2000....

I hadn't heard that music in my life before seeing the Cadets in some podunk town in South Carolina in June. I DIDN'T RECOGNIZE A NOTE! I've come to love that show and I've come to love that music and went out and bought the CD.

I want to be exposed to new music all the time. Sure I don't mind if a corps brings out an old classic, but I don't want a rehash of the same crap I could get off my Legacy DVD's.

Music only becomes recognizable when you listen to it over and over. I'm sure the average kid back in the day could say that they honestly LISTENED to Appalachain Spring a whole lot more than NEVER in their lives. Malaguena? Please.....what radio station was that on before some corps started playing it? The average person doesn't frequent the opera house or the concert hall or even own that many albums with flugelhorn playing men in funny hats. Yet....some of us do....

Recognizable music is a term that is subjective......what you recognize I might hate and what I recognize you might have never heard of. Does that mean its bad? Noway.

...and for the person who wonders what it was like when the Crown kids got told..."ok act like a horse"....I'm sure it was something similar to when Hoppy said..."ok you go over here and lay down on the turf and play your mellophone on your side". Do these creative minds ever really make sense? :-P

Well look at that, a similiar opinon to LSU GRAD, yet, in a non condescending way! Go figure.

:ninja::wacko::smile:

It is interesting the show fans liked above all others....didn't even make top 5 on the field! Perhaps Crown didn't play or march quite as well as those who finished ahead of them in 2007. But what did they place in GE, fourth or fifth? Which is the big problem with today's judging and explains why there are not more GE oriented shows. If a corps puts on a show like Crown and gets audience reaction far greather than the others....but places fifth in GE....something is very wrong.

It is interesting the show fans liked above all others....didn't even make top 5 on the field! Perhaps Crown didn't play or march quite as well as those who finished ahead of them in 2007. But what did they place in GE, fourth or fifth? Which is the big problem with today's judging and explains why there are not more GE oriented shows. If a corps puts on a show like Crown and gets audience reaction far greather than the others....but places fifth in GE....something is very wrong.

Well, unfortunately, GE has nothing to do with audience reaction. As much as people say it does, it only has to do with that particular judge's reaction. So if a judge does not like that as much as others, then they will score it lower. Can't get mad at them for having their opinion.

Although I wouldn't exactly say that Crown had any sort of problem in the visual caption. Marching included. 4th in field performance finals night.

DING DING DING DING

As popular as VK and the Bridgemen STILL are, does anyone have any belief that they could finish in the top 8 with the type of show they used to perform, i.e., crowd pleasing, humorous, and with the attitude to let the air out of the "stuffed suits"?