DCI Finals in Bloomington

Channel 13 (wthr-tv) in Indianapolis just had a story on the news about DCI Finals in Indianapolis and reported that Finals for this year WILL be at Indiana University in Bloomington. The construction manager of Lucas Oil Stadium said that construction will not be complete in time for the event this year. The story itself included an interview with Dan Acheson and at the time of the interview a decision had not been made. The reporter then followed up with the update from the construction manager of the stadium.

Edited by ItsOnTheField

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow- this is huge news! (in a bad way)

guess we probably won't get an official nod from DCI.org until Monday, eh?

this kinda sucks I think... anybody got info on the stadium at Bloomington?

Yes, this is huge news, although not entirely unexpected.

When they announced earlier this year on the news that the stadium would not be ready until between August 23 and Sept 1, my immediate thought was... OK, but what about August 7th-9th for DCI?

It stinks that they waited this long to make the decision, because I know many corps have already made their housing plans for facilities well north of Indianapolis, and now they'll have to add another hour (or more) drive each way back and forth from Bloomington. And the ticketing situation with all of the super-dooper spectacular club seats is now going to be a complete mess. It will be interesting to see what DCI says when they make an official announcement about this.

Also, for the record... IU's Memorial Stadium is a decent sized venue. It holds just under 50,000 and is NOT a "bowl" type venue, it simply has two large sides on the east (visitors) and west (home) that is accented by some small bleacher type seating in the endzone. The home side holds exactly 28,431 and all seating in that area would be appropriate for ticket sales to a DCI Finals-type event. In fact, if you take the upper most perspective from the home side, it compares quite nicely to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. It may even be a little higher since it isn't a bowl type venue like TRB.

Edited by IMcomguy

Doesn't completely shock me if it's true. I said in a post earlier in the year that it's so easy for these giant construction projects to fall behind that I thought the possibility of DCI getting moved was very real. For them to run a week or two past the scheduled completion date is completely understandable. There may be certain things that they can't assure will be 100% ready enough to meet local fire codes/building codes to allow 20,000+ people into the stadium. Imagine that they don't pull the plug on it now, and construction goes right up to the last minute and they aren't able to get their occupancy permit in place because of things that aren't quite done enough. Fire inspectors have a lovely way of making that happen! The potential consequences could be devastating for DCI. That said, I'll wait to see the official announcement from DCI to make my judgement.

Well, I don't have any info on the stadium yet, but from what I've seen in the pictures, it looks pretty nice.

It's a nice place, very open. All the seats are bleachers, as you can tell from the photo, but every seat in the place offers an excellent view of the field. I've watched football games there from as high up as that photo was taken. It'll be an interesting week for the college kids still in town. I spent a summer at Dunhill Apartments, right across the street.

PS this schedule change is the top story on WTHR.com right now:

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=8121226

My biggest fear was that DCI would get in the new stadium and workers would be working during the championship events, in the race to get stuff done for the Colts games. Though I did make backup reservations in Bloomington just in case, I'm still surprised. I really thought they'd pull it off.

this is kind of a disaster.

~>conner