DCI Finals in Bloomington

Ya know.......with all of the hype and hard work on DCI's end, and seemingly Indy's end, it's just more proof that the "civilian" population doesn't take DCI seriously. Indy has been begging for DCI finals, they finally sign a deal, and then don't even have the tact to inform DCI personally that they can't use Lucas Oil for '08. If that is an indication of how things are going to be in Indy, it's going to be a LONG 9 years..... :innocent:

First of all you need to take into consideration the timing of this. The news report happened close to 6pm on a Friday night...DCI was going to make a final decision by the end of April anyway (which Dan said in the interview). At the end of the pre-recorded segment the news reporter followed up LIVE, saying that she just spoke with the construction manager of the stadium. She was just doing more research. This report just seemed to push things a little faster, but would have happened regardless. Dont be so quick to judge either DCI or the city of Indianapolis.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see what the big deal here is. The IU stadium looks fine, and it'll be even better in '09 when finals are actually at a fully completed stadium. And this way we won't have finals at the same place four years in a row or more until 2013-2018.

Seriously....im kinda excited about it only being in indy for 8 years (instead of 9...) I probably cant go either way actually...

Edited by euponitone

I got my room in Bloomington, one mile from the stadium. Indoor pool, kingsize bed, free breakfast, internet, etc., etc. $99/night Wednesday thru Saturday nights.

I suggest that if folks are going to book their rooms, they need to do it NOW. Unless there's been a huge hotel-building boom in Bloomington since I was last there in 2005, there isn't a sufficient number of hotels in and around Bloomington, and what they do have tends to fill up rapidly depending on what's going on that week. (Been there, done that.) For those folks who have already booked rooms in Indy, it might be simpler just to stay put and make the commute. Or, at least, don't cancel that Indy reservation before booking a new one in Bloomington.

I agree with folks who say that the stadium, itself, is a wonderful site. I attended the DCI Mid-America shows there in the late '80s to early '90s. It's one of the best-sounding drum corps venues I've ever been to, and the sight lines are fantastic. I remember sitting way up in the nosebleed section, where I was able to see and hear everything perfectly.

Yes, this is a logistical nightmare for DCI, but the stadium is still a superb one. As second choices go, it's a pretty darned good one.

Edited by byline

Does anyone know which corps already made arrangements for housing and which haven't...I bet the corps higher up in the food chain knew this was a possibility and have already made arrangements.

That's why no one has been assigned seats yet.

Edited by Phantombari1

Does anyone know which corps already made arrangements for housing and which haven't...I bet the corps higher up in the food chain knew this was a possibility and have already made arrangements.

I'm guessing that for those corps that have made housing arrangements, they're probably going to stay put (though I could be wrong about that).

First of all you need to take into consideration the timing of this. The news report happened close to 6pm on a Friday night...DCI was going to make a final decision by the end of April anyway (which Dan said in the interview). At the end of the pre-recorded segment the news reporter followed up LIVE, saying that she just spoke with the construction manager of the stadium. She was just doing more research. This report just seemed to push things a little faster, but would have happened regardless. Dont be so quick to judge either DCI or the city of Indianapolis.

Where in that did you get that I was judging DCI? If anything I was showing sympathy to DCI because of what happened. And what I'm tying to refrence is the point that Dan made about how he wished that they weren't "scooped" they way they were. I'm just hoping that there will be better communication between Indy and DCI in the future since that is now our home.

Actually, I parked [location redacted] in 2006 for finals. We actually left right after Cavies and stood next to our car... heard the scores, jumped in the car, and missed all of the traffic. Oh, and we did not arrive until around 6PM and there were still open spots. Only $10.

Shhhhh!!! Drat you!! That, and a certain street I will not name here (for quarters and semis) was supposed to be a classified secret. Madison wasn't hard for parking, if you knew where to go. But blab it all over DCP and it won't work anymore!!! :ph34r:

looks to me like home side seating capacity is about the same...

Memorial Stadium holds 52k, but the home side appears much bigger than the away side

Lucas Oil Stadium is proposed to hold 63k, but seating home and away appears to be symmetrical...and has seating on both ends...

on second thought, I bet Memorial holds more people home side, and with it's upright design, no upper deck, and no running track, this appears to be an outstanding place to hold finals...if it doesn't rain...

probably not as outstanding as the Ohio State horseshoe, however.. :ph34r:

Aluminum bench seating won't be as nice for my butt as the new seats in Lucas Oil, but otherwise, I think you're right. I think sight and sound will be better for more people, closer to midfield.