DCI Finals in Bloomington

Ya know.......with all of the hype and hard work on DCI's end, and seemingly Indy's end, it's just more proof that the "civilian" population doesn't take DCI seriously. Indy has been begging for DCI finals, they finally sign a deal, and then don't even have the tact to inform DCI personally that they can't use Lucas Oil for '08. If that is an indication of how things are going to be in Indy, it's going to be a LONG 9 years..... :ph34r:

You know, I'm not absolutely certain how the local media found out about it, but I think you have to understand how the news business works to understand that it's highly possibly that somebody (or several somebodies) in the newsroom know people directly involved and so got wind of this before the stadium officials wanted to publicly release the info. So then they were forced to either confirm or deny what reporters were asking them, and they confirmed it. It doesn't mean they didn't intend to notify DCI, but they were placed in a position where the local media pushed the timing before they were ready.

I have no inside knowledge of the situation, but have worked in the news business long enough to know how these things can happen.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of back in 2000 when finals was supposed to be held in the Redskins stadium and was moved to College park. I don't remember the reason. I was kinda looking forward to seeing finals in that new Stadium, but I guess it's no big deal. Anyone have any idea how many times this has happened? Just curious.

My last Finals performance was in Buffalo...kinda partial...

Elmo Blatch

I'm with you there...my first AND last DCI finals performances were in Buffalo...so far apart that the stadium changed names (I think).

I really dont remember much about the stadium either time (save the OJ Simpson banner).

Aging out is really less about the venue and more about the closure to a fulfilling experience.

Reminds me of back in 2000 when finals was supposed to be held in the Redskins stadium and was moved to College park. I don't remember the reason. I was kinda looking forward to seeing finals in that new Stadium, but I guess it's no big deal. Anyone have any idea how many times this has happened? Just curious.

As I recall, the reason that happened was because of a scheduling conflict on the part of the Redskins. DCI was forced to move, and College Park was the closest alternative: DCI 2000 - College Park Md?

I'm with you there...my first AND last DCI finals performances were in Buffalo...so far apart that the stadium changed names (I think).

I really dont remember much about the stadium either time (save the OJ Simpson banner).

Aging out is really less about the venue and more about the closure to a fulfilling experience.

I disagree with you there. I'm all about stadiums so a great stadium in which to age out is just as important as the closure and fulfilling experience (to me).

As I recall, the reason that happened was because of a scheduling conflict on the part of the Redskins. DCI was forced to move, and College Park was the closest alternative: DCI 2000 - College Park Md?

Ah, RAMD.....don't miss that at all!!!!

Oh that's right. Scheduling conflict. Thanks for the info.

Ah, RAMD.....don't miss that at all!!!!

No, but a search will at least turn up a record documenting what happened when . . . and why. You can always filter out all the other garbage; without that, there were people posting intelligent, reasonable comments. They provide an important historical record for us to refer to later on.

Edited by byline

OSU envy?

Elmo Blatch

Nope...lots of stadium's are "horseshoes".

I guess Hoosiers (as well as other Big Ten schools) are jealous at how effective the Buckeyes are at buying...oops...I mean attracting top athletes. :ph34r:

:doh::doh:

Now that the championships have been moved from a retractable dome to an open field - with our luck it'll probably rain all week. :ph34r: