Winter Colorguard

This was my first year following winterguard, and I must say it was pretty amazing. And I have to give props to Vanguard. I was truly moved by your performance at finals. I enjoyed just about everyone to be honest.

I loved SCV! One of the fan favorites that night.

A key difference between WGI and DCI is also what content is being show. In drum corps the color guard is THE COLOR of the show, but not the show. In WGI they are the show so the performance and vocabulary of the show is much HIGHER. WGI lets the guards show a wider range of skills and without that darn wind always getting in the way when you're outside.

As far as I know, very few members do both. Winterguards are pretty focused on locals because of their seasons, so it's difficult for a member from another state to participate. At BK only a hand full of people were a part of Oracle at the time (now called Opus X), and at PC I don't think anyone was in the winterguard because I remember having rehearsal on the day of a WGI show, and no one was missing.

The staffs are what is mostly the same rather than the memberships, as far as I know.

Actually,

Almost ALL of our winterguard kids those years were in the drum corps.

- S

The % of people marching that are older then the "age-out" is much less then you may think. It's not that many in reality, besides there are a few guards not in WGI world class that are sponsored by drum corps.

More than 50% of the 2008 Phantom Regiment Winter Guard is too old to march in a DCI corps. So that's a major contributing factor in why most of their members don't march summer. However, the remainder who are within the age limits of DCI do, for the most part, march in the summer. (Just not necessarily with the Phantom Regiment.)

Other finalist Independent World Class guards have similar numbers. However, the vast majority of WGI guards that exist are not Independent World Class finalists, so they likely are made up of younger members who are eligible to march in a DCI corps.

• 2 weeks later...
I know this is going to sound dumb, but I am a little confused on WGI. Is this tied in with DCI? I have heard that some of the corps have winterguards, but that there are alot of high school winterguards. So if SCV has a winterguard, is this all the same kids that are members of SCV during the summer? And do they actually compete with all high school colorguards, or are there separate competitions?

I have thought about attending a competition if I can find one in the area sometime. I saw on the Cavies 04 tour dvd the 1980's winterguard show of Bond. Some cool stuff.

So which corps have winter guards? Which corps guards place the highest in these competitions? Any info is appreciated.

I know this is going to sound dumb, but I am a little confused on WGI. Is this tied in with DCI? I have heard that some of the corps have winterguards, but that there are alot of high school winterguards. So if SCV has a winterguard, is this all the same kids that are members of SCV during the summer? And do they actually compete with all high school colorguards, or are there separate competitions?

I have thought about attending a competition if I can find one in the area sometime. I saw on the Cavies 04 tour dvd the 1980's winterguard show of Bond. Some cool stuff.

So which corps have winter guards? Which corps guards place the highest in these competitions? Any info is appreciated.

The Arizona Academy of Performing Arts ( Academy DBC) has been performing in WGI for several years.

This year they placed third in Independant Open Class. The majority of members are DC members also.They get experience from both DCI and WGI activities.

Another reason that very few of the DCI corps' winter guard members are in the corps is that Independent WGI guards have no age limit. So many of the top guards are made up of members who are too old to be a member of a DCI corps.

This is not entirely true!!!

Independent WORLD class guards no longer have an OFFICIAL age limit-- however, many of these groups do limit the age of their members. A and Open class guards still have an official age limit. Most of the members of the top guards in all classes are high school and college students who ARE involved in DCI and DCA corps, but not necessarily for a corps affiliated with or instructed by the same people who instruct the corps they might march with over the summer.

However, some guards do have older members as well.

Edited by quegrawks