Quick Thoughts

Guardguy89

Oh wow, that's interesting! I had no idea... Thanks :)

And I've seen it, but I wonder how it will actually look... I must admit, I'm skeptical... :bluedevil:

They were approved as equipment several months ago (before the season started). They look much smoother when they rotate in the air. When they are in the hands, they just look like curved rifles to me. Some of them even have little "notches" similar to the neck of the rifle for better grip of the equipment. It's really not a major difference in terms of how the equipment is used compared to more traditional-style rifles.

BTW-- these things have been used for YEARS by guards, just not counted as equipment.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW-- these things have been used for YEARS by guards, just not counted as equipment.

The first time I remember seeing sickles used -- though these were more sickle flags than rifles -- was Avatar back in 1984. And then I remember Cadets using them on the field in 1991 for their "ABCs of Modern American Music" show.

The first time I remember seeing sickles used -- though these were more sickle flags than rifles -- was Avatar back in 1984. And then I remember Cadets using them on the field in 1991 for their "ABCs of Modern American Music" show.

And the talented folks in Blast! used them

They were approved as equipment several months ago (before the season started). They look much smoother when they rotate in the air. When they are in the hands, they just look like curved rifles to me. Some of them even have little "notches" similar to the neck of the rifle for better grip of the equipment. It's really not a major difference in terms of how the equipment is used compared to more traditional-style rifles.

I wasn't saying I was skeptical about sickle rifles, although I'm not particularly fond of them to tell you the truth.

I was actually talking about that new fangled Airblade. Now that is something I'm skeptical about...

I wasn't saying I was skeptical about sickle rifles, although I'm not particularly fond of them to tell you the truth.

I was actually talking about that new fangled Airblade. Now that is something I'm skeptical about...

Haven't seen them except for pictures in a catalog. I think they may be helpful for outdoor season, though.

And the talented folks in Blast! used them

Those were different.....the curve is different.

I have a sickle rifle, and while fun to play with I would never make a young group spin them.

The balance point is different.

• 2 weeks later...

"slow" as a new trend?

goodness knows we only have a scant few minutes to tell our stories and color guard has always emphasized,celebrated and credited the fast and furious slam bam thank you ma'm,however moments of decelerated equipment choreography and extremly slow movements are contrasted and utilized more frequently in programs and with refreshing results.fantastia,center grove and avon this past season are good examples of shows exhibiting tremendous dynamic effort changes.

it's just as challenging to control "slow" as it is "fast".

i also witnessed bad feet and horrible lower body ensemble timing issues in a number of guards and apparently that's o.k. with tech staff,directors and the judging community! :thumbup:

are there any other observations,trends or forecasts?

Edited by dugg

I have observed the lack of clarity in the feet and lower body get worse as we move farther away from drill and more into restaging from effect to effect.

i look forward to further advances in sound reproduction and greater experimentation with soundtrack technology.

btw,with the exception of a few guards alot of essential dialog,narration and even some singing was completely or partially unintelligible from where i sat.

and since we are committed to dayton for the next few years what benefits and costs would be incurred to facilitate better lighting [for performers and audience alike] in the arena for the duration of our event?

Edited by dugg

I have observed the lack of clarity in the feet and lower body get worse as we move farther away from drill and more into restaging from effect to effect.

I'm a drill person. Folks out of step causes the little hairs on the back of my neck stand straight out.

*sigh*

Guess it's not 1988 anymore... :tongue: