Best 1st Place Show?

1988 Madison Scouts

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2002 Cavaliers

So many innovations and unbelievable impacts on the activity by our first place corps, but there's a corps whose sheer artistry, performance, raw emotion, and technical brilliance combined to make a performance that will never be forgotten...and that's obviously SCV 89. Strangely, I found myself on the losing end of many arguments as to what music book was better--1988 or 1989's--but since I have the vote for 89 SCV, I'll stick to my guns again. Gordon Henderson was able to take what was done in 1988 and eek out another level of drama from the music that very much worked for me. No better moment in the show though was in the closer when the corps hit the pre-company front impact in the music facing backfield as opposed to facing the audience in 1988. That simple move right there, with the music coming all the way down to feature the baritone soloist one more time, and then the corps coming back around and starting the final push--just to TYPE THAT brings an unforgettable chill that will be with me forever.

SCV 1989 hands down my favorite 1st place corps.

Thank you so much Ryan and everyone who has given a nod to 89 SCV. It's been nearly 20 years, and I'm still WAY humbled by the respect that show and the 89 SCV corps continues to receive. I mean that sincerely. :sad:

Ryan, your comments have me remembering a few things about the closer that I'd like to share.

One cool thing I remember about the beginning of the Closer:

Drill Designer, Myron Rosander, made the awesome choice to change the final set of “Track Down the Murderer” and make it much more compact. This allowed the horns to really wail, covered up more potential stickouts and made the visual a little sharper at the same time. In order to make the drill flow smoothly at the beginning of the closer, he had us add a move to the beginning of the Closer. So, the very first drill move at beginning of the closer (at around 10:30 while we have our horns down, emptying our spit valves) actually puts us back to the original ending set of "Track Down the Murderer” that we had learned in April or May.

The backfield hit before the company front:

At about 11:00, you see what Ryan is talking about... A change that I think made a tremendous difference in how the end of our show felt. (...and may have even swung the G.E trophy solidly into our hands, if it wasn't already.) If anybody saw us early in the season, we played that hit facing front field. I don’t remember when exactly they changed it but I have a handheld video that my dad shot of Drums Along The Rockies (at the old Mile High Stadium in Denver) and we're still playing the hit to the front.

They way I remember it being explained to us was that one of our french horn players named Scott had gone to Los Angeles in the spring with a big group from SCV including some of the instructors to see Michael Crawford in the LA cast of “Phantom of the Opera”. (I remember they all came back just gushing about it.) So Scott pointed out that the Phantom was turned to the back of the stage when it came to the end of the show and he's listening to Raoul and Christine rowing off together in the catacombs under the Paris Opera house. He sings “You alone can make my song take flight” facing the back of the stage and THEN

slowly turned to the front of the stage (towards the audience) as he sang “It’s over now, the music of the night!”

So that’s basically what they decided to have us all do. I guess you can probably compare the 88 ending to the 89 ending to see just what a difference it made in building of the EMOTION. I think it just pushed that show right over the edge.

Edited by bradrick

Gotta be * Madison 88* Best of all time!!!

Close 2nd- Cavies '95

Close 3rd- Cavies '06

Close 4th- BK '08 (ha ha ha) I'm hopeful!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

2000 Cadets

I was laughing in hysterics because I simply couldn't believe how awesome that show was the first time I saw it in June. Best show evah!!!

UPDATE

-----------------------

1972. Kingsmen

1973. Santa Clara Vanguard

1974. Santa Clara Vanguard x

1975. Madison Scouts xxxx

1976. Blue Devils

1977. Blue Devils

1978. Santa Clara Vanguard

1979. Blue Devils

1980. Blue Devils

1981. Santa Clara Vanguard