Vandalism hits Rochester Area

Thanks goes once again to all for your kind offers and wishes! :bluedevil: with an update.... it was basically a crazy day calling insurance appraisers to start the process of recovering from this mess and looking for a new parking place! :thumbup: ......

Big Kudos to the local media responding and heres the link..........WROC TV

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks goes once again to all for your kind offers and wishes! :bluedevil: with an update.... it was basically a crazy day calling insurance appraisers to start the process of recovering from this mess and looking for a new parking place! :thumbup: ......

Big Kudos to the local media responding and heres the link..........WROC TV

Hey Gary, i think you'd better check ur link, that's definately not a story about us.

I just saw the story and photos on the news, and find it horrifying.

This should never happen, ever...

I'll be keeping your corps in my prayers.

I wish the best of luck to you all this weekend and throughout the season.

Dear Crusaders,

The Hit Men have 1 Bb tuba, 2 Bb baritones, 2 F mello's and several Bb trumpets on hand if you need them this weekend.

Sorry about your misfortune. I hope they catch those arsholes.

David

minus the "band" oart that was a pretty cool video

Hey Gary, i think you'd better check ur link, that's definately not a story about us.

If u look in the scroll of stories, it is there!! It was the only way it worked...........

Did u get my message to call me?!?

I just want to address the security issue. When it comes to making your stuff secure, you have to think like a thief.

It may be thiefs looking for stuff to sell or even just the metal. It also could be vandals or like the Spartans - some homeless guys who wanted to stay warm.

Think of where you are leaving your stuff - is it well lit? - good area? bad area? - Is it in a fenced area? Does anyone check and do a drive-by on a regular basis? Make yourself seen - the thieves pick up on that.

There are so many little things you can do to make things safe. Make the doors harder to open by backing close to a wall and put a vehicle in front of the side doors. Put a second lock on each door. The more work they have to do the more likely they will walk away. Theives can use cordless cutters that can cut through most locks in 2 seconds. Maybe have a 2nd lock that is only accessable near the top of the door. That way you will have to bring a ladder or stand on someones shoulders to unlock or cut. just some ideas.

I also am involved in drag-racing and the motorcycle business. We are always paranoid about theft and always think someone is going to steal our stuff. You will need someone who is little paranoid taking charge of security. The economy is down so the vultures will be on the increase.

Sorry to hear about Bush and Cru thefts and vandalism. It looks like the drum corps community is pulling together once again.

It now appears that the vandalism of the truck was not the primary goal of the culprits. The ignition of the truck has been badly damaged due to a failed attempt to hot wire the rig. It's a pretty safe assumption that whoever did this had first thought to steal the ENTIRE truck and trailer assembly. I can not imagine why, or what someone would do with this....and the effects on our corps would certainly have been far more devastating had this actually happened. After failing to get the truck started, they broke into the trailer to steal as much of the equipment as they could. Grabbing horns and drums might have seemed like a good idea, but they must have been on foot since some of the missing equipment was found about a quarter mile down the tracks. Once they realized how heavy this stuff was, they tried to destroy any trace of it, smashing most of it and throwing them 20 feet up into a coal hopper that was on the tracks. Thankfully, one of the other members on site saw the glint of chrome sticking out of the coal, otherwise we never would have find the reminates of the equipment. I was on the scene when the police arrived and have been in contact with Gary on the condition of the truck, and this is the general consensus as to what happened. Granted, no one can know for sure until the culprits have been caught.

Security has always been a concern when it comes to our equipment and the means in which we store it. For the past few years, we were able to store the truck and trailer INSIDE one of the buildings in the West Ave area, however, about a year ago the building changed ownership and the new owner wished to rent out the interior of the building. Being strapped for cash like most drum corps, we couldn't justify storing it inside any longer. The new owner was gracious enough to allow us to park the truck alongside one of the buildings on West Ave for free. We accepted the offer out of necessity since finding places to store a 75 foot truck and trailer assembly isn't easy. i can assure you that after every weekend the truck was carefully and meticulously secured as best as possible. However, glass can still be broken and locks cut in a matter of minutes. If a thief wants what you have, they'll find a way, it just depends on how good they are and how bad they want it.

At any rate, we will put on one hell of a performance this weekend, and show those who would ruin our experience that no one can take it away from us. Thank you to all who have extended us offers of aid. It's good to see that DCA is truely one big horn blowin', drum beatin', flag spinnin' family!!!